“Wow, Cant wait to go back !!!!!!”
Review of The Petit Snail

The Petit Snail
Ranked #13 of 207 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional French Cuisine. All-French staff. Affordable French and Australian wine list. Fully licensed.A la carte and menus options . Gift vouchers available.Vegetarian and gluten-free friendly. We hereby certify that ALL testimonies are genuine, unlike some of our competitors, who need to improve their rating, we have not bought testimonies from any dubious websites.. Extensive range of French wines and belgian beers.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We recently went here, as someone else below, also for our 4th wedding anniversary, after reading the great reviews on trip advisor we booked a table through the online service and rang, I was phoned back by Igor that afternoon and confirmed our table, also had great communication through emails.When we arrived, we got shown to our table and also shown the special of the day- which was our names written on a big board- it was one of the most romantic gestures from anywhere we have been.The service from Chauby, Igor and Matthew were nothing short of exceptional and its very rare to get such service in Australia anywhere. The suggestions on what to eat, making sure that all the customers are happy at all times and being looked after, being such a cozy small restaurant with lovely decorations from France all around. We had the Fondue Bourguignonne which was very interesting and exciting for first timers trying something new, bite size pieces of meat that you get to cook to your liking in a pot of oil, served with yummy mash potato,veges and some salad.Unfortunately we got too full and couldn't try desert, but cant wait till next time to try something else.

5  Thank mynewlifeistravel

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Bit of a show put on by the host, there were a few nice touches. i had the duck legs which were overcooked and dry. bit disappointed in that.

1  Thank Hyperbowl
IgorPersan, Owner at The Petit Snail, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Hyperbowl,

I am sorry for your disappointment. However, "The Show" put on by the host was partly to make you aware that we would not be satisfied until you are fully satisfied. If you had taken the trouble to let us know on the night we would have bent over backwards to meet your expectations. We get our ducklings from a small local producer and they are not all identical, so it can happen, but we are always happy to replace a dish that doesn't fully satisfy your requirements.
During the course of your evening you would have had at least 3 separate opportunities to inform us of your problem - to the host, to your waiter and to the chef - so if you didn't, I am sorry, but there is nothing I can do now.

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife kindly booked this restaurant as I love all things French. It was a great night, everything was perfect...

Atmosphere, friendly service, food was class!

The owners have had very interesting lives all over the world , and the chef has cooked everywhere!

I had lovely French onion soup to start and twice cooked duck legs in an orange sauce. Creme brûlée to finish! Yum

We loved it so much we booked again for tonight :)

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We dined at the Petit Snail last week for our anniversary. What a wonderful night of spectacular food and service. Igor the chef and Chauby are enthusiastic and passionate about their restaurant and so they should be- its the best we've experienced in Australia. The steak with blue cheese sauce is the best ever tasted according to my husband who couldn't believe he was gliding through his steak without needing a steak knife. I recommend the scallops (sensational). Love the fact that the food is individually sourced from producers also. We will be recommending the Petit Snail to everyone and planning our next return.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We visited recently based on the great reviews on TA. I went with particularly high expectations which is a shame because it didn't live up to them.

The service was warm and welcoming which was lovely. My fiancé and I shared a really nice bottle of Pinot noir and had the goats cheese for appetiser which was small for the price. The sorbets between entree and main was a nice touch. For mains we ordered the pork belly and perch fillets. Both were cooked very well and the side vegetables were quite nice. Dessert of crepes suzette was nice. Again, food was overpriced in my opinion and I frequently eat out in Sydney.

We had lovely time there and enjoyed the food but probably will not return when in Byron again.

Dear JL877,

Thank you for your globally positive review. However, just to set the records straight, I would like to say that our prices compare favorably to most other restaurants in Byron Bay.
We provide free-of-charge: a mise en bouche, a wine sorbet palate cleanser between the entrée and the main, French baguette (unlimited quantity) is offered on the table and you receive 2 vegetables at no charge with your mains. I recently went to a restaurant where I had to pay $6.50 to have 2 slices of bread with my food and $8 per side of vegetables to complete my main, this certainly pushes the prices up. Please do your maths properly and when you take into consideration all the free stuff, you will find that we are in fact much cheaper than most other comparable places.

I hope to see you again soon and we can talk about it around a glass of wine (offered!!!) like old friends.