“Fun place for a drink”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 29, 2014

OK spot when you're looking for a relaxed drink amongst the young & groovy international visitor & backpacker crowd.

There are newer reviews for Cheeky Monkey's

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Had a great night in here dancing on tables. The music was good, the food was lovely, and the drinks weren't too expensive. Bouncers are very on the ball here for getting rid of people who are too drunk- makes it better for everyone else.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Went last Saturday, in our group there was 5 of us. We had all buy $10 to get into the venue (which for a bar that pretends itself as a backpacker bar is quite high) even though we had been given 'free entry' these were not valid after 10pm. We found a spot not far from the bar with a small table & had a few drinks & were enjoying each other's company. I received a tap on my shoulder by a security man who informed me that I was intoxicated & I needed to vacat the bar immediately. I was not in any form intoxicated & found this rather ironic to many drunk people dancing on the tables on the dance floor. When I asked 'what gives the impression I'm intoxicated' I was told I needed to shut up, leave and was told I was 'simple' for questioning them for a reason. I was then pushed out onto the street, my friend who rightly wanted to talk with security behind why I been manhandled & thrown out of the venue was then too thrown out immediately for again questioning their reasons - they had already called for police back-up who came on the scene & was just as bemused as friend & I on this bizarre incident. I talked with the policeman & he said to go onto another bar & enjoy my night (if I was intoxicated I do not believe this advise would have been given). I felt shaken-up & victimised after the event, what is shocking is upon reading other reviews this seems to occur often at this venue. This place is not a backpacker vibe at all. The security team need serious reviewing & upon reading other reviews it seems they target groups to make them leave so that other groups queuing outside can get let in & pay cover charge. I have lived in Australia for over a year & this is the worse venue him how it is run I have come across. Byron Bay is a great & mostly friendly town - your $$ & enjoyment are better spent in another venue. Avoid this bar

4  Thank Cub_Pop
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Pay a visit to cheeky monkey's this weekend, during my first ever visit to Byron Bay. I was with my sister and her partner who live in Brisbane and visit Byron regularly. I was also with my boyfriend. The 4 of us entered cheeky monkeys just before 10pm, as we had been ben free wristbands at the beach during the day….encouraging you to come. The four of us were stood in a corner minding our own business and on our 2nd drink, when a bouncer came up to my boyfriend saying the higher security felt he was too drunk and could he take a walk outside and have some water. this would be understandable if there was a reason, but we had all been stood together just chatting. Not disruptive at all. My boyfriend questioned what behaviour had led them to believe this and confirmed that we had been for a meal previous to coming to the bar and he was only on his 4th drink of he night (max). The glass collector / security couldn't answer and just said that if he didn't leave he would have to throw him out. this was all completely out of the blue with no reason to justify. When we went to leave he said the other 3 of us could stay? and then also said we could all stay, including my boyfriend to finish our drinks before leaving? if my boyfriend was that intoxicated how come he could remain in the bar and finish his drink. Outside the bar my boyfriend spoke to the manage and explained that we had just been stood in a corner having a chat and a small dance, how was he seen as too drunk….compared to the 100 people stood on tables dancing??! she agreed that the bouncers had made a wrong decision?!! It seems to us that if you get in for free after an hour or so they randomly pick you to leave as there is such a big queue outside and therefore if you want to get back in you need to queue again and PAY!!! Crazy and unfair. luckily for us we went on and had a good night elsewhere but seemed unnecessary.

4  Thank sollars89
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

This is the place in every town where, when you suggest going, everyone says, "oh god, not there"... Its a hole, the staff are what they are, the people there are generally wishing it was better, and I have never, ever, heard so much negative chat about a traveller venue in a traveller hostel in my life. Makes me regret going. Don't make my mistake.

1  Thank Chris M