“Worse food ever”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Byron Bay, Australia
“Worse food ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I burnt my hand on a hot plate that had no other plate to protect me or the table... then when i complained that the food tasted burnt and not right, i was not heard. I then asked for a discount and was told no. i had to pay full price for food that was disgusting. i will never eat there again.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank YemayaMAR

Byron Bay, Australia
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Mexican food is my favourite cuisine, and my partner and I had planned to go to our favourite Mexican- Gringos in Brunswick Heads- only to find it was closed, so we decided to head to Byron and try Aztec. As a part of a franchise of several Mexican restaurants we thought it couldn't possibly be too bad. Unfortunately we were very very wrong.

We started with a 1/2 plate of Nachos, and boy am I glad we got only 1/2 a plate. The chips were half crunchy and half disappearing- because they were surrounded by sloppy bean dip on the bottom and watery, flavourless, blended to within an inch of its life salsa on the top. There was not nearly enough chips to scoop up a quarter of the dips. I was desperately hoping that our mains would be a big improvement, but really, how can you go wrong with nachos?

I ordered the "Aztec delight", which sounded delicious on the menu, but turned out to be the strangest thing I've ever eaten. Firstly, the tostada was almost not able to be found, amongst a huge pile of mish mash. Secondly, the "salad" was the strangest salad I have ever had- raw zucchini, cauliflower, apple, carrot, a few shreds of ice berg lettuce, and some other off cuts of vegetables I couldn't recognise. Add to that cubes of pre-cooked, possibly processed chicken, cheese, a whole heap of watery salsa, no chilli sauce as advertised, sour cream and topped with 2 olives and you have a really bad big pile of "delight". My partner had a beef enchilada, chicken enchilada with rice & beans. His meal was 2 see-through soaked tortillas with pre-cooked chicken and beef, that looked and tasted reheated with a mountain of re-heated rice and bean slop. Before I move on, I must point out that none of this supposedly Mexican food had any coriander, chilli or lime. All of it was bland, reheated and goopy, which is not what Mexican food is known for.

For dessert, we shared a chocolate mousse, which the waiter advised us to do anyway (?). Surely the chocolate mousse would be half decent! Unfortunately not. It was not mixed properly, and we could see white swirls through it (egg or cream?) and it was not set. All in all, rich chocolate sauce, topped with canned whipped cream and a side of icy low quality ice cream. I also ordered a jug of Sangria- big mistake. It tasted like the cheapest cask red they could find with some kind of juice- possibly pineapple or orange. My partner tasted it and told me to stop drinking it.

I will also say that despite there only being about 5 other tables dining, the food was slow to come out (despite being reheated), and our table wasn't cleared between entrée and main. Our table had a dirty table runner on it. The service was average, and extremely casual. I believe the food was very overpriced for what was served, we left full but very unsatisfied.

The good parts of the night- the drinks are very cheap and the restaurant looks good inside, and had a welcoming bar.

Like the some of the other reviews, I'd recommend buying a taco kit from the supermarket in favour of dining at the Aztec.

2 Thank traveller_82_11
Cairns
“False advertising, tasteless food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Beware of this place. We booked here as a group recently because the website promised a $20 set menu for groups. When we called to make our booking, the staff member on the phone confirmed that price for us and also promised to do us a seal on a drinks package. It sounded too good to be true and of course it was. When we got there the staff denied any such package existed (though they still advertise it on their website. We should have left then but we thought we'd give it a go and if the food was decent we certainly wouldn't have minded paying extra. Unfortunately the food was awful, among the worst I've ever had in a restaurant. It was completely tasteless - I don't mean it wasn't spicy enough for my palate; I mean it tasted like absolutely nothing, and everyone at our table had the same experience. Even the Sangria was tasteless. If you ever find yourself in Byron Bay and the Aztec is the only restaurant you can get into, my advice would be to head to the nite owl and pick up some 2 minute noodles - cheaper and better quality food than you will find at this place

5 Thank Evan84
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Should have gone to McDonalds”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

As a lover of Mexican food, I was quite surprised at the quality and authentic taste of the Mexican food in Australia. Sadly, the Aztec is Byron Bay is so far moved from this experience that it's slander calling it a "restaurant".

A group of 6 of us went to this establishment on a Saturday night. We should have known something was off because out of the bustling night life in Byron, this was pretty much the only empty restaurant. We were seated quickly and the wait/bar staff were very friendly. We found it amusing that the bartender did not recommend the margaritas, so those who weren't driving ordered beer.

We started off with the guacamole, salsa, and cheese dip. As we waited for the starters to arrive, we all took turns picking the old rice off of the tablecloth and playing "guess what that stain was from". The starters arrived promptly and were decent sized portions.

The salsa was good (I suspect it came from a jar), the guacamole was decent (served in a corn chip cup for some reason), and the chips were good and fresh. The cheese dip was some sickly yellow colour and cracked over the top like it had been sitting out for a while. It tasted like cheddar cheese mixed with sour cream, with the texture of hard ricotta cheese. I'll let you imagine eating that for a few seconds before I continue.

The wait staff was gracious and accommodated out odd request of 32 tacos, four different types, bought out randomly so we didn't know what we were getting (taco eating competition). We ordered 8 of four different types of tacos: beef, chicken, chorizo and bean. Sadly, we did not listen to the waitress who, when asked how good the tacos were, said "yeah they're all right..."

The chicken taco had absolutely no flavour. I believe it was just plain poached chicken, with cheese, lettuce and all that. I could barely choke it down without ample swills of beer. The beef looked like it had been regurgitated by a penguin, with the taste not too far off. It seemed like it had been run through a blender to produce this marginally flavourful beef like slurry. The chorizo was the absolute worst. I think the chef just wanted us to leave, and dropped 8 perfectly log shaped turds in between taco shells and covered them with lettuce and cheese. The filling was hard and aside from a rancid spice favour, tasted of nothing. Upon biting in to one, I immediately felt violated. The taste made me want to curl up in the fetal position and weep softly.

The bean and cheese was quite nice, but I think I would have hung myself if they managed to mess up refried beans covered in cheese.

All in all, the whole experience left us all feeling sick, and not from eating too much. Eight of the 32 tacos were left on the table. Even the wait staff knew we didn't want to take them home and simply took them away not offering to box them up.

So if you're in Byron Bay and have a craving for Mexican food, just go get an El Paso taco kit from Woolies. You'll save a lot of money and it will be ten times more "authentic" than the Aztec.

5 Thank Jillian B
Wollongbar, New South Wales, Australia
“Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Massive meals - I was so full afterwards couldn't even eat half ofmy main i got it takeaway. Reasonable pricing, friendly staff. Will visit again most definately.

Visited April 2012