“Great little beach house” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cape Beach House

The Cape Beach House
Ranked #3 of 39 Byron Bay B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Great little beach house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Cape Beach House in Byron Bay. We loved it. If you want an informal & relaxed ambience that feels like a contemporary beach home, this is it. The sundecks are great to lounge around in and meet other guests. The breakfast is communal (continental style, which we love- no pressure to have a heavy cooked breakfast everyday just because you've paid for it). Breakfast gives you time to meet other guests and the owners and have a chat. The owners made some great recommendations to us for places to go bushwalking, eating and day-spas. All their recommendations were exceptional and made our Byron experience that much more memorable. The only challenge was that we were originally in the front bedroom and found the road noise in the day (starting at 7am in the morning for people heading to and from Wategos Beach and the lighthouse) disruptive. Luckily we were able to move into one of the rear rooms for the rest of our stay.
We came back relaxed, inspired and happy!

Room Tip: Choose a rear room, not the front one which gets daytime car noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I recently escaped on my own to attend The Byron Bay Writers Festival and to have some much-needed solitary time. The Cape Beach House was perfect for this! Whilst my room felt a little spartan, it was very comfortable, crisp and clean. The common room is very enticing and has a lovely, contemporary feel. The breakfast buffet is fresh, generous and displayed beautifully. As I was a bit of a hermit, I would have appreciated a kettle to make tea/coffee in my room as well as the common room but this is a minor point. My host was very friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable. The location is great - walking distance to the best that Byron has to offer if you are not venturing far and do not have a car.Can't wait to do it again!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Oztraylya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were very comfortable and had a quiet and relaxing stay in this spacious Beach House. The Cape Beach House is in a great location just a short walk from the town centre, but far enough away to be quiet and peaceful. Katie, our wonderful host was warm, smiling and helpful. Our unit was spacious, our bed was excellent and there was a reverse cycle air conditioner to maintain a comfortable temperature. There is free Wi-fi available and a very large communal area where a continental breakfast is served and you can sit and talk or amuse yourself with a game or listen to music from your iThingy.

Criticism is a thing that is hard sometimes, particularly when your host is as warm and giving as Katie is. I feel a responsibility to tell it like it is, and I hope it is found useful not only for travellers.
The Cape Beach House web site does not refer to a star rating but ‘Last Minute’ promotes four and a half stars and ‘Wotif’ refers to a self assessed four stars. I’m sorry I don’t think so, but you be the judge.

There were several things that we found lacking and they need to be addressed to bring the Cape Beach House up to contemporary standards and expectations, where it will sit very comfortably, I’m sure. A recent review in the Sydney Morning Herald referred to appointments as ‘sparse’, I would go a little further and say a little inadequate.

The rooms are very large but have only basic furniture and have an ambiance that is lacking. There is plenty of space to put a unit with extra drawer and horizontal space to cope with travellers needs. The floors are Australian hardwood boards and would be beautiful if taken care of, even if it is only with some oil to show the beauty of the boards and prevent degradation. There was a light rug that failed to alleviate the bleak floor effect.

Privacy is very lacking with only aged wooden plantation type blinds on, and adjustable from the exterior of the unit windows. Room lighting is very poor in general and in the shower room in particular. Our shower was also in need of a mould treatment and had only a double hook, but no drying rail for the lovely large towels. This makes it necessary to replace them every day, and they were, but at what cost and the expense to the environment. The shower room has no shelving on either side of the wash basin. There was a small shelf unit, but it was of limited use.

There were no tissues in our room, nor a telephone or refrigerator, but a large refrigerator in the communal area. The Cape Beach House web site refers to the rooms having an iPod dock and hairdryer, they do not. I saw one iPod dock and one hair dryer in the communal area for the use of the five units. Now I ask you, why is there no hair dryer or tissues in the room, but huge towels that are changed every day? It doesn’t make sense. The web site is also a little equivocal about parking. Undercover parking is restricted to three spaces, with one in use by the owners brings it to two, for five units. There is however ample unrestricted street parking.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a hair dryer and tissues
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TuckerFiend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

The card read "Happy 40th Wedding Anniversary", the Children said "we've booked you in to this lovely B & B... Go and spoil yourselves on us". From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we enjoyed ourselves so much. The weather was very unkind, but did not take away from the stay one little bit. Lovely room, spacious and welcoming common areas and deck, delicious breakfast, and a Hostess whose ability to both break the ice and blend her guests )while ensuring their privacy was not invaded) was amazing. I cannot thank Katie and her "Girls" enough for looking after us so well. We had the best time and are already checking our Sporting Calendars for another window of opportunity to be return guests.

• Stayed July 2012
Wauchope, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

From the welcoming drinks on arrival to the fresh, quality breakfast (including homemade mandarin marmalade) and its peace and tranquility - the Cape Beach House provided us a very relaxing stay. Katie was a delightful host with an extensive knowledge of the Bay and its surrounds. The location is great - close to town, across the road from the beach and a great walk around the coast to the Lighthouse. A charming and comfortable place to unwind and relax. Do yourself a favour and spend some time at the Beach House - enjoy going to sleep with the sound of the surf in the background. I know we plan to return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Would recommend the Cape Beach House for anyone wanting a laid back and relaxed place to stay. Loved the shared "living room" with the option of putting your snacks and vino in the fridge and being able to make yourself a snack. Katie was a charming and friendly host. The location is fantastic, the rooms really comfortable and defineately have an upmarket beach house vibe.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I recently traveled up the entire East coast of Australia and The Cape Beach House was by far the best place I stayed. VERY welcoming and comfortable. Very close to everything including the beaches, lighthouse and main town. I live in Los Angeles and I would say my room at the Cape Beach house was nicer than most of the places I have stayed in LA. It was great hearing soft music at night and the breakfast in the morning was perfect. Katie makes you feel very special and is very accommodating on whatever you need. When I come back next year, this is the first place I am booking.

Room Tip: Its impossible to get a bad room. They are all unique and very comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo