“...great food with fab environment for the solo diner”
Review of Targa

Targa
Ranked #45 of 198 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Contemporary food in a classic setting. Our coffee, Genovese Super Brazil blend...Rich and flavoursome with caramel nut and vanilla notes.Our menu, inspired by the chef's travels through Italy, Spain, Portugal and France, using quality ingredients and local produce where possible. Escape and enjoy our spacious, corner-side restaurant with casual yet attentive service for breakfast lunch and dinner, 7 days. Or drop by for a cocktail or wine, licensed to serve beverages at all times without food.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The food and wine at Targa is outstanding. It is so good that this is where I take myself for my birthday dinner during my annual Byron Bay 'quiet time retreat' from manic work & family demands. Sitting solo at the tall bench style table is a comfortable, relaxing experience and you get 1st class service with elegant, flavoursome, interesting Italian food and a great glass of wine. Even though it is usually easy to get an early evening place at the bar or tall bench table, as opposed to a standard table, I always make a booking just to make sure. My favourite restaurant in Byron Bay.

There are newer reviews for Targa

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The best restaurant in Byron. Great food and friendly service. Gnocchi and Eye fillet were fantastic, washed down with a lovely Shiraz. Choc dessert wasn't bad either. Will make it a priority to go again the next time we are in Byron.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Nice cafe situated in a quieter part of Byron town. The menu is interesting and the Wagyu Burger is very good. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have had breakfast and lunch here before but this was my first dinner experience at this restaurant. My wife and I had not booked but we were lucky enough that an outside table was available -- advice to future diners is to book, as the place filled up quickly after our 7:30 p.m. arrival. The service provided was that great mixture of casual, friendly and efficient . The menu, while not large, has a good selection of dishes and the wine/drinks list is of a similar construction. Orders for drinks, entrees and mains were taken quickly and without us feeling we were being sped through the process in order to turn the table over.
Our entrees (beef carpaccio and fried whitebait) and drinks arrived soon after. The capaccio was delicious -- fresh, juicy and a lovely contrast in flavors. My only complaint was that there wasn't more. The whitebait was lightly fried and came with a nice aioli and lemon wedge but it just needed something else to lift the dish out of obscurity. Maybe a bit less whitebait and a salad of lightly dressed rocket, chilli and parsley or witlof leaves would do the trick -- nothing extraordinary just a point of difference to give it some punch.
After a well timed break our mains of risotto and baked salmon arrived at the table. The risotto was perfectly cooked and the simple combination of ingredients shone through, one of the best risottos I have tried. The salmon was taken to the upper extremities of what I usually like (i.e. steaks blue and fish seared) but the skill of the chef and the quality of the produce kept this dish in the winners circle. The result was a firm, but still moist, piece of fish surrounded by a wonderful compliment of flavors and textures.
As for the desserts I can offer no comments -- we were to full to continue. Next time, and there will definitely be a next time, I will push through and sample this end of the menu. After 14 years living in The Bay it's great to find a restaurant where we say after a meal "why did we take so long to try it out?". I can't wait to take our kids here as I know they will love the food and Targa seems like a restaurant that would cater to all comers.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Enjoyed the food at this restaurant. The food was very good and the service fast and the waitress had a great attitude. Would definitely eat there again if we get the opportunity.