“Perfect for sunset cocktails!”

The Italian Byron Bay
Ranked #33 of 210 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I love this place! It's right next to the main pub in town (Beach Hotel) and across the road from the beach. It's perfect for cocktails and has a great laid back vibe. If Laurie is there say hello!

1  Thank Chasing-Summer

Reviewed September 27, 2011

Plates are relatively small in portion size for what the price is.

Bruschetta is dry and quite tasteless with minimal basil in the cherry tomatoes and no balsamic. Good thing is it's not caked in oil. However if you have a taster plate, the plate it comes on is so slim you can't cut it up so you really have to eat it with your fingers.

I had the chicken with baby spinach and mixed mushrooms which was Very edible but small. The spinach and mushroom mix under the boned breast was cool in relation to the chicken. Although there is Parmesan in the sauce it's quite delicate plus there is no salt and pepper on the tables and I was not offered any.

Atmosphere is quite introspective also. An open space that on this night was not really filled with joviality.

Service is rather average with no real concern with your comments on your meal. Just a nod and that's it. Was a bit of a let down as I ate here a few months ago and enjoyed it therefore was looking forward to coming back.

You can't always have it so good.

1  Thank lee_down_under
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Delicious. We had a few "tastes" for entree. The crab, prawns and pork belly. All were absolutely delicious. Our mains were very good too. Big portions, lots of flavor. A great wine list and very friendly staff rounded out a wonderful dinner. I particularly liked that they happily shuffled tables to fit in our pram.

1  Thank Tofucanbefun
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Italian is expensive that's why having enthusiastic amateurs serving is not acceptable. It's been a long time since a restaurant tried to charge me for three dishes we didn't get or the waiters kept trying to give us dishes we didn't order but that's normal at this italian in a tropical setting. Wines are marked up around 300 per cent which is normal for this type of restaurant.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

It is an expensive restaurant, but can I say what a pleasure it was to receive great tasting food in generous proportions and with excellent presentation. We had the snapper which was superb. My child's chicken dish was one of the most tender chicken pieces I have had. The seven textures of chocolate dessert was amazingly good. We went back the following night and the quality was still excellent. The veal and gnocchi dish and the lamb shank lasagne were all so good.