“Overpriced and extremely disappointing”
Review of Asia Joe's

Asia Joe's
Ranked #31 of 198 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A favourite with locals Asia Joe's offers colourful & fresh modern Asian food- at budget prices. Healthy, friendly & unique. A very Byron experience!
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The 'Vietnamese' pho was extremely disappointing. We've eaten at many Vietnamese restaurants and had pho many times... this was not pho. Wrong condiments (vietnamese pho is meant to come with bean sprouts and basil, this came with mint and some form of carrot salad), the broth tasted like Campbells beef stock and the portion size wouldn't feed a child; bowl was half full, a bare 3 pieces of meat and few noodles left us hungry and dissatisfied. I would not call this asian food and will definitely not be back.

Emma T, Owner at Asia Joe's, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

This is very disappointing as we make this aromatic soup from scratch with fresh garlic, fresh ginger, beef bones, fresh herbs and many spices. There should be about 20 pieces of sliced rump steak, lots of herbs, beansprouts and fresh chilli. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I will investigate immediately with the chefs. Clearly something went wrong with your Pho and I am very sorry you did not enjoy it.

There are newer reviews for Asia Joe's

Reviewed April 12, 2014

The coconut lime curry dish that they recommend is outstanding! Great food but tiny street side venue. Go for the food not the atmosphere.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I both had the same answer, good food but not wow. The price was good but I don't think well ever go back for seconds. The food was fast but just wasn't amazing.

Emma T, Owner at Asia Joe's, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Hi there. Thanks for the taking the time to review BUT we don't like being just GOOD!! I will be in touch to find out what you had so maybe we can make it even better! Would love to see you again. Best regards AJ

Reviewed February 28, 2014

As a Byron Local and a visitor of there many restaurants available in our wonderful region I have to say that we keep going back to Asia Joe's and we keep coming away completely satisfied. Great friendly staff, excellent traditional Asian food and a relaxed atmosphere. As we have eaten here dozens of times I can only think that any negative comments were because the writers had just come from Asia and cant deal with Australian prices or they were just having a bad day.

Emma T, Owner at Asia Joe's, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Thank you!! We are delighted with these words. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and we hope to see you again soon. Consistent fresh, yummy food with a smile is always our goal:)

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I'm really surprised at the positive reviews. We had a really ordinary meal. Backpackers in the kitchen and no Asian cooks or staff really showed. The lemongrass, coconut, lime curry was more like gluggy coconut milk rice risotto and the crispy snapper was more like crispy McNuggets.

Emma T, Owner at Asia Joe's, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Sorry we didn't dazzle you with our 'asian street food' (we are not a Thai restaurant). The Coconut Lime & Lemongrass dish is a long standing favourite served with rice. It's never been described as a risotto before but i guess if you mixed all the rice into the sauce it might resemble that? I am not sure how a snapper fillet can be described as a Mcnugget either but perhaps the chefs cut them too small that day? Anyway, I will investigate and apologies again if you didn't enjoy our style of food.