“great atmosphere and yummy food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Asia Joe's
Ranked #37 of 186 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Malaysian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A favourite with locals Asia Joe's offers colourful & fresh modern Asian food- at budget prices. Healthy, friendly & unique. A very Byron experience!
Caloundra, Australia
“great atmosphere and yummy food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The food is always delicious and the meals are massive. Very impressed with the food and they are so full of flavour!
The staff are friendly and attentive.
I always love eating at Asia Joe's when I visit Byron.

• Visited July 2013

Camden, Australia
“Very nice meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a very nice meal here. It is only a small restaurant. A lot of people getting takeaway as well.
The food was great, fresh and large portions. The restaurant is BYO. Will definitely return. Everyone enjoyed their meals.

• Visited July 2013
Sausalito, California
“Best laksas in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Heaps of gluten free and vego options. Wide variety of dishes to cater for all tastes. Soups, stir fries, curries, salads, etc. Cooked fresh. BYO and bottle shop nearby. Eat in or takeaway. Best value in Byron.

• Visited May 2013
“Worth finding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I walked past this place two nights before we went in. The first was on a Thursday night and it was packed when everybody else was quiet. We new it must have been a favourite with the locals. Sure enough we weren't disappointed, you must try their special Laksa it is by far the best I've every tried. The Pad Thai is pretty good too.

Visited May 2013
Brunswick Heads, Australia
“Asian Aussie Style”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I happened to be in town for a workshop and thought I'd give Byron's asian street-food sector a try out in the laneway behind the Beach Hotel. For their lunch specials AU$12.90 for a vegetarian (tofu) Pad Thai [the other option was chicken - no pork!] seemed reasonable - until I was shortchanged $2 by the affable Canadian on the front-of-house. He fixed me up with the missing gold coin in change after I'd raised the discrepency. It didn't seem to put off the asian (?Japanese?) couple seated next to me as they took a souvenir photo with him before they left. Maybe they couldn't tell Aussies from Canadians? Turns out he is from Toronto via Whistler and considered that slices of pumpkin, snake beans and zucchini in a very thick peanut satay quite normal for an Asian Joe's Pad Thai. Based on my experiences with condensed milk on souvlaki in a Halifax NS eatery a couple of years ago (and I may be making a broad generalisation here) I am not sure that the Canadians tourist staff are necessarily the best judges of Asian fare. Maybe he thought it was hip fusion cuisine, but I could have knocked out a similar dish at home just by cleaning out the vegetable container with a bottle of satay sauce. Two slices of chilli and a sprig of fresh coriander does not a Pad Thai make! Based on one dish, and a glass of room temperature water from the stainless steel urn at the front (refilled by a bucket of tap water by aforesaid front-of-house staff), the experience was nothing to get overly excited over for a Saturday lunchtime on a sunny day. Take it or leave it was how I felt as I wandered back to the after lunch session at the workshop.

• Visited May 2013
Emma T, Owner at Asia Joe's, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi there. Sorry you didn't enjoy our Pad Thai. Most of our customers love the fact it comes with lots of freshly cut vegetables & roasted peanuts. We agree it is a little different from your standard Thai restaurant version but it is consistenly our best selling dish so I just hope the chef on duty did it justice that day. Please feel free to get in touch with me and I will arrange for you to come back and try it again...or something else for that matter. Indeed the water we offer free of charge is tap water - cold bottled water is $2.50. The staff member you speak of is a trusted long term employee who I am confident just made an honest mistake with your change which was rectified immediately. Kindest regards, Asia Joe's.