“Asian Aussie Style”
Review of Asia Joe's

Asia Joe's
Ranked #34 of 210 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A favourite with locals Asia Joe's offers colourful & fresh modern Asian food- at budget prices. Healthy, friendly & unique. A very Byron experience!
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I happened to be in town for a workshop and thought I'd give Byron's asian street-food sector a try out in the laneway behind the Beach Hotel. For their lunch specials AU$12.90 for a vegetarian (tofu) Pad Thai [the other option was chicken - no pork!] seemed reasonable - until I was shortchanged $2 by the affable Canadian on the front-of-house. He fixed me up with the missing gold coin in change after I'd raised the discrepency. It didn't seem to put off the asian (?Japanese?) couple seated next to me as they took a souvenir photo with him before they left. Maybe they couldn't tell Aussies from Canadians? Turns out he is from Toronto via Whistler and considered that slices of pumpkin, snake beans and zucchini in a very thick peanut satay quite normal for an Asian Joe's Pad Thai. Based on my experiences with condensed milk on souvlaki in a Halifax NS eatery a couple of years ago (and I may be making a broad generalisation here) I am not sure that the Canadians tourist staff are necessarily the best judges of Asian fare. Maybe he thought it was hip fusion cuisine, but I could have knocked out a similar dish at home just by cleaning out the vegetable container with a bottle of satay sauce. Two slices of chilli and a sprig of fresh coriander does not a Pad Thai make! Based on one dish, and a glass of room temperature water from the stainless steel urn at the front (refilled by a bucket of tap water by aforesaid front-of-house staff), the experience was nothing to get overly excited over for a Saturday lunchtime on a sunny day. Take it or leave it was how I felt as I wandered back to the after lunch session at the workshop.

Emma T, Owner at Asia Joe's, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Hi there. Sorry you didn't enjoy our Pad Thai. Most of our customers love the fact it comes with lots of freshly cut vegetables & roasted peanuts. We agree it is a little different from your standard Thai restaurant version but it is consistenly our best selling dish so I just hope the chef on duty did it justice that day. Please feel free to get in touch with me and I will arrange for you to come back and try it again...or something else for that matter. Indeed the water we offer free of charge is tap water - cold bottled water is $2.50. The staff member you speak of is a trusted long term employee who I am confident just made an honest mistake with your change which was rectified immediately. Kindest regards, Asia Joe's.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Bring your own booze with a 3 dollar cover this is casual (small tables and box style seats) dining which brings together very good food and good value (especially if from abroad and having to manage a strong Aus$).

We ate here twice and if I lived in BB I'd be there every week.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I had the salt and pepper squid on joes salad tray for lunch. Delicious!! We also had the chicken nasi goreng. All was very fresh! Would recommend to others. Casual dining. Great flavours.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Popped in quite by accident, whilst we had read about the place. It is little, no they don't take bookings and if you blink you'll miss it. But people eat and get out so you won't wait long, the food is not your old & maybe boring Thai culprits, flair and some really special ingredients make the offerings tantalising. LOVED the food, could have eaten way more, but it was only lunch. Go there, in the laneway behind the pub, only go to the pub for a drink whilst waiting for a free table at Asia Joe's.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The lunch specials are value for money. I had the green curry chicken with rice for $10.90. Curry was rather mild for me, not your typical authentic Thai but a tasty dish all in. Cosy restaurant at the back of a lane way with friend staff.