“Exceptional..one of the best places I've been in ages..”

St. Elmo Dining Room and Bar
Ranked #6 of 198 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fabulous menu featuring traditional Spanish food; courteous, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable wait staff, great atmosphere, reasonable prices. A great venue for any occasion in one of the best spots in the whole of Australia - Byron Bay.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Recommended by our hotel, my 3 girlfriends and I gave it a go..
We enjoyed every moment.. The staff were gorgeous.. friendly, informative and jovial.. I'm over going to restaurants with stuck-up staff.. these guys loved their job, and you could tell.. there was a lady at the next table by herself who was treated with the same hospitality as the couple behind us and the group in the next room.. It's just off the main drag so close to everything.. drinks were great, good selection but the best part ... drum roll please.. was the food.. it was mouth wateringly good.. there was a terrific menu as well as specials.. we had the pumpkin empanadas (delectable - the pastry and the filling), slow roasted pork (2 ladies fav), scallops (yum yum), snapper (succulent) and for me, the beef cheeks hands down fulfilled all my foodie dreams.. I ended up ordering a 2nd.. it was one of the best dishes I've eaten.. sweet, juicy, tender, mouth watering.. (quite obviously, still dreaming of the moment)..
If you go to Byron, do yourself a favour and go.. you won't be disappointed..
oh yeh.. and absolutely fabulous music.. great mix of funky old and new..
Take a bow.. Bravo to u all..

2  Thank MsMinsky
There are newer reviews for St. Elmo Dining Room and Bar

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We wouldnt have found this gem unless we read tripadvisor, so visited one night and loved the extensive winelist,although ordered from blackboard wine list. Tried the sangria which is made fresh per glass and loved it. The staff were very friendly and efficient, teling us about the specials both evenings. After working our way through the tapas we left impressed with flavours and value for money. Had to return to try the goat special and we were blown away with the tenderness and flavours of this dish. The kitchen really know what they're doing at this restaurant ,go and try it,i cant see you being disappointed.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I ate here while moving through town on a business trip, late last year.
The wine list is extensive and very good quality.
The food is aimed at the food critic. Very well constructed and superb flavours and textures in the meals. However, the servings are small and quite expensive.
I found the place to be a little pretentious though, so I felt a little self conscious while eating alone. the service was also a little slow. I was very interested in a second glass of the lovely Syrah, but couldn't get the attention of any of the hipster waiters. So I just paid up and left.
If you are a group of young, outgoing, attractive food & wine lovers, you'll love this place.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Just great the food was excellent. We just loved it. If we are by Byron again we would eat there again

1  Thank Carol M
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

We came here on a Friday night, food was superb. Excellent variety and there's certainly something for everyone.

The menu is so unclear though and none of the staff seemed to know what was going on with it. We were constantly calling staff over to our table to order drinks or to take our empty plates, we even had a build up of plates and one of the waiters came and took our empty glasses but left all the plates and did not come back.

When we were ready to pay after being pressured by a waiter to leave, we were not offered our bill. We waited 35 minutes before we just went and asked for it.

After having a look at our bill and had organised ourselves, we went up to the bar to pay and had to wait 10 minutes standing around like awkward idiots and FOUR staff members who were putting through other bills told us that 'we'll be with you in a minute ladies' and not one of them helped us whatsoever.

Of course, by this point we were very fed up with the whole experience and stopped politely waiting and actually asked for someone to put our bill through, the girl who served us some how managed to incorrectly process our payment not once, but twice.

Overly, extremely unhappy with the service but the food was great. We know that this was a night on which the owner was not present so our thoughts are that the staff need to be re-trained and organisation enforced as the service was pathetic.