“Many thanks to all of the Sundive team!”
Review of Sundive Byron Bay

Sundive Byron Bay
Ranked #3 of 44 Tours in Byron Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Sundive Byron Bay Located just 2.5 Kilometres from Byron Bay, one of Australia's most popular travel destinations, Julian Rocks Marine Park is rated as one of the top five scuba diving locations in Australia. The mixing of tropical warm currents with cooler temperate waters makes the diving near Byron Bay unique.Due to its amazing diversity and abundance of fish life with over 1000 recorded species of tropical, temperate and pelagic fish, Julian Rocks has earned a reputation as being one of the most prolific fish dives in the world. Whales, Dolphins, Manta Rays, Leopard Sharks, the endangered Grey Nurse Shark and three species of Turtle are all common visitors to Julian Rocks. All the action is just 10 minutes from Byron Bay's main beach!Sundive is Byron Bay's only PADI 5 Star Dive Centre. Since it was established in 1988, Sundive has earned numerous PADI service awards and is internationally recognised as a centre of excellence in diver training. Training ranges from introductory dives and beginner dive courses through to instructor certifications. So if you are looking to dive Byron Bay, Sundive should be your first port of call. The friendly and professional service you'll receive at Sundive ensures that you will get the most out of your scuba diving experience.
4 attraction reviews
“Many thanks to all of the Sundive team!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I did our open water course with Sundive and we had a fantastic experience!
Giac, the owner, is always nice and very helpful.
In fact, everybody there is very nice and diving with them has been amazing!!
Thank you again to all the Sundive team!!!

Palmwoods, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Efficient company”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Maybe it was the fact I only did one dive (which is a great option if you have limited time), but although the staff in the shop were great, the divemaster I had was a bit offish. I know there isn't a lot of time for general chit chat when its under a five minute boat ride to Julian Rocks but he just didn't seem to want to be there. We all have our off days I suppose. Besides that the actual dive was great. Visibility was pretty bad at about 8m but we still saw heaps of wobbegongs, a turtle, lobster, cuttlefish, stringray, etc. I will definately go again and will probably use Sundive as well.

Visited April 2013
Sundivebyronbay, Owner at Sundive Byron Bay, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi Kate,

thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very glad that you enjoyed your dive with us and that the majority of the staff were friendly and helpful. I must admit that it is also one of my personal frustrations when Dive Masters behave as you described. I believe I know whom you dived with and I have addressed this issue with them. Sundive is a small family business and it is most important to me that our staff are friendly and approachable so on behalf of Sundive, I would like to apologise. We do hope to see you for a dive again in the future.

With Regards, Giacomo
Adelaide, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic snorkelling”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My favourite snorkelling experience along the East coast. We had been up to the Outer Reef around Magnetic Island and also at the Whitsundays, but this topped both. An abundance of turtles, wobbegongs, and even an enormous manta ray. Quick and easy - only 10 minutes out to the dive site, the equipment very well maintained, and the staff both friendly and experienced. All in all a great experience and incredible value at the price. Our only regret is that we only found out about how good Julian Rocks were when we were on our way and didn't have any more time in our itinerary to spend there. Do yourself a favour, especially if you are restricted by either time or money - don't waste either by spending hours on expensive trips heading to the outer reef - everything you want to see is right there at Byron...

1 Thank RaRaHockeySticks
Melbourne
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Friendly and knowledgeable staff . Great dives among the many wobbegongs, leopard sharks and moray eels.”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Responsible attitude to weather and dive conditions. Helpful and expert staff. Flexible when needed. Knowledgable about the dive sites and flora and fauna at Julian Rocks. Boats looked well maintained. Thoroughly recommended.

Sydney, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Best dive company in Oz - no question.”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've been diving with Sundive for more than a decade. This is because the dive site is a wondrous mix of tropical and temperate water species; it's simply a glorious part of Australia (and the world) to be in. More than this, the long-time business owner (Giac) is extremely personable, and absolutely committed to safety and service.

The dive site itself (most typically Julian Rocks although there are a number of other places) is suitable for beginners through to advanced. Julian Rocks has also long been a haunt for photographers and biology lovers since the biodiversity is extraordinary and the staff (esp. 'Dr Dave') really know their fishes.

Notably, there is good community and council interest in protecting and maintaining the dive site's natural value. To me this is an important thing to look for from a local dive community.

Sundive is also a great place to learn to dive since they have world class instructors (Rob and Jeff are especially patient and awesome). For non-divers the business also offers snorkel and whale watching options too. I wasn't remunerated in any way for writing this review. I'm just a long time lover and supporter of this extraordinary business based on my wonderful experiences with it over the years. If you're planning to throw yourself in the Pacific Ocean any time soon, then do it with Sundive!

Visited February 2013