“Good sized operation and professional staff”
Review of Sundive Byron Bay

Sundive Byron Bay
Ranked #3 of 47 Tours in Byron Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Sundive Byron Bay Located just 2.5 Kilometres from Byron Bay, one of Australia's most popular travel destinations, Julian Rocks Marine Park is rated as one of the top five scuba diving locations in Australia. The mixing of tropical warm currents with cooler temperate waters makes the diving near Byron Bay unique.Due to its amazing diversity and abundance of fish life with over 1000 recorded species of tropical, temperate and pelagic fish, Julian Rocks has earned a reputation as being one of the most prolific fish dives in the world. Whales, Dolphins, Manta Rays, Leopard Sharks, the endangered Grey Nurse Shark and three species of Turtle are all common visitors to Julian Rocks. All the action is just 10 minutes from Byron Bay's main beach!Sundive is Byron Bay's only PADI 5 Star Dive Centre. Since it was established in 1988, Sundive has earned numerous PADI service awards and is internationally recognised as a centre of excellence in diver training. Training ranges from introductory dives and beginner dive courses through to instructor certifications. So if you are looking to dive Byron Bay, Sundive should be your first port of call. The friendly and professional service you'll receive at Sundive ensures that you will get the most out of your scuba diving experience.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Not sure why, but I always find dive shops a bit grungy. I suppose it is all the salt water and repeated use rental gear flooding in and out. In any case, this place was better than most on this front. Both the front and back office seemed pretty well maintained and the rental gear in good condition. Staff were great. Dive location is fantastic (Julian Rocks), although I didn't come at the best time of year. Will definitely go with them again next time.

1  Thank Ololiferous

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Wet suits and boots were abit on the old side, with holes (But its a rental so didn't expect much). Boat ride out was exhilarating, not too sure whether its always that choppy. Visibility was pretty good, was surprise to see quite an abundant amount of marine life. Rays, turtles and sharks everywhere (spotted a gigantic turtle, prehistoric beast in a cave). Downside, the current might be quite strong for inexperience divers, and weights given to me were wrong (not enough preparation time). Recommend to arrive on time and to take your seasick pills 30 mins before the dive, if the water is choppy.

1  Thank Gaius L
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We enjoyed a fabulous snorkelling trip to Julian Rocks with Sundive and were treated to the amazing experience of a humpback surfacing close by as well as an 'up close' encounter with one of the turtles that call Julian Rocks home. A great experience!

1  Thank Bambam9999999
Reviewed September 27, 2012

From Jack in reception, to Roger our skipper and Mark our dive guide, the whole experience was pleasurable. Pre dive briefing was appropriate for 2 experienced divers and not treating us as idiots. Boat launching in the light surf was fun. The real fun started when we got under water with Grey Nurse sharks in our face to the back ground music of whalesong. In all, a very professional operation and recommended to all.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I found the idea of scuba diving both exhilarating and daunting at the same time. Its not natural to breath underwater for us land lubbers! Unperturbed I booked my 4 day Padi course and went ahead with it. What an amazing experience!

The staff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and made you feel comfortable every single step of the journey. Very professional, small initmate class size of 5 which allowed for team bonding, well run course. The dive masters could not do enough to help us through. I am and will be forever grateful of their guidence, encouragement and support throughout.

I was the runt of the litter in our group so required a little more help and attention then the rest. The team were so supportive towards me whilst providing the same care and attention to the others when needed. I was so scared I'd fail the course based on my own anxieties but was led through the course and provided what I needed, when I needed it along the way to build my confidence and skill set as time progressed. I felt a huge amount of trust in their abilities to assist me and the others to safely pass our dives and classroom exercises, whilst making it enjoyable.

The dives themselves (4 in total) are some of the most amazing moments I've ever experienced in my life! The memories send chills of excitement down my spine. The experience allowed me to attune with nature like I have experienced before. I met mother nature or God down there... The moments that allowed these feelings included swiming with turtles, grey nurse sharks (friendly large beasts that won't bite), a pack of 20 or more leopard sharks (aren't interested in you, friendly enough to almost touch) manta rays as wide as a sedan and many other fish species.

OMG! I am now offcially addicted to the ocean! Seriously changed my life in the most positive and amazing ways possible. The whole experience from staff, class mates, professional team that assisted with transport too and from the reef and the equipment provided is and was A class.Cannot wait to get back and see some old friends of the aquatic and human kind.

I would happily reccomend these guys to anyone, be it a novice or pro.

I completed this experience 6 months ago (March 2012) and still enjoy reliving the memories today!MAGIC!