“Not what it seems”

Cardamom Pod
Ranked #66 of 195 Restaurants in Byron Bay
“Not what it seems”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I am a local and used to eat there quite a lot because I was vegetarian and then became vegan. Originally I always found the service and attitude really lacking, but I tried to ignore that and enjoy my food. I also wrongly believed that being Hari Krishnas their food would be "kind". When I recently asked one of the staff if their dairy was sourced from their own farms which should be cruelty free, or whether it was from commercial supplies, I was told that it was commercial. Knowing as I and many others already do about the terrible treatment of animals in mass produced dairy and meat I was quite appalled. When I tried to discuss this with him he mumbled something about how as we are not our body, suffering seems to be ok. Apparently the animal willingly gives itself up in sacrifice for us. Then he became uncomfortable and very defensive. When I later googled their philosophy I saw the same information, including the statement that we must drink cow milk for us to be intelligent. I'll let you ponder that.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Susie B

“Average food, vague service”
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Food is reliable in that it's the standard fare u would expect. Tasty but nothing that's sensational or a new flavorsome experience. Staff though are very nonchalant in their service. Verging on bring rude. The service is basically - there's the menu on the whiteboard so read it. They r not interested in answering any of ur questions about the food.

“Reliable”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Always the same reliable menu. Good food. Good taste. Must specify vegan as there are vegetarian options :( But pretty yummy.

Visited October 2012
AUSTRALIA
“Amazing fresh salads and exciting juices !!!!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I loved it here, great service with smiles, great atmosphere, really yummy hot meals, koftas, fresh salads with delicious toppings.. Deserts to die for..
a range of hot teas.. Hopefully soon they will serve Michia's Chai !!!
Also I would take my children here and not feel like an outcast or hid away in the corner like some restaurants... Go try it for yourself!

• Visited October 2012
Byron Bay, Australia
“Menu doesn't change much”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I used to eat here quite a bit but the food is a bit bland and the menu doesn't change that much. The customer service is a bit weird too.

Visited June 2012