“Forget the world and go home relaxed and smiling”

Buddha Gardens Day Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Buddha Gardens Day Spa is a sanctuary of flowing waters and peaceful ambience devoted to health, beauty and relaxation in a serene and nurturing environment. Experience Byron Bay's best massage in Balinese-inspired surrounds and only a short stroll from the heart of Byron Bay. Buddha Gardens Day Spa has soothed and pampered locals and visitors for over ten years and is truly one of Byron Bay's hidden gems. Our Spa Menu features exotic and traditional treatments including Deep Tissue, Swedish Massage, Bamboo and Hot Rock Massage, facials, pedicures, manicures, scrubs and wraps. The Orchid Room features a spa bath set in natural rock, waterfall, an open air shower and a Balinese Day bed and is popular with couples or friends who want to spend time together. All treatments include complimentary use of our garden area, heated plunge pool and sauna.
Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Forget the world and go home relaxed and smiling”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We booked a weekend getaway to Byron Bay to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. As a present for my husband, I booked us in for a 2.5 hours couples treatment at the Spa, which consisted of 1/2 hour Bamboo Body Polish, 1/2 hour Mandi Susu milk bath and 1 hour Swedish Massage. We came early so we could use the heated plunge pool before the treatment started. There was nobody else there besides two water dragons that seemed to live in the secluded garden. We enjoyed the pool for about 20 minutes with a cup of tea. Then they whisked us into the room and started with the full body scrub, which smelled beautiful. We then got to rinse off and soaked ourselves in the bath tub. It was not a milk bath as promised however, so that was a bit disappointing. Nice touch with the dried rose petals scattered in a heart shape and we completely relaxed in the bath tub which comfortably fit me and my husband of 6'2".
After half an hour, we had to get back on the massage tables for the massage. I explicitly mentioned that I wanted a strong massage, both on the registration form as well as to the massage therapist but I did not get one. It was somewhat firm and relaxing for sure, but I am just used to and would prefer a stronger massage generally. An hour went by in the blink of an eye and we had the Orchid Room to ourselves for another 1/2 hour afterwards, to come back to the world and enjoy a platter of fresh fruit and a glass of champagne. The therapists had to get the room ready for another couple so we decided to take our fruit and champagne to the plunge pool. But one of the water dragons decided it wanted a piece of the rockmelon I was eating and came charging at me fast. Funny moment (or at least for my husband). The massage therapist did tell me at the beginning the dragons would be coming after food and I forgot about that. So we moved inside and had a few more minutes to ourselves before we left.
All in all, a pleasant experience and recommended for those seeking to escape from the daily grind or to relax with each other. The place oozes tranquility and the greenery makes it all so peaceful. The people were friendly and we went home very relaxed after that.
But if you are after a more robust rub to properly get rid of those knots, it would be wise going elsewhere or choosing something else from the spa menu. They should also mention there is a 10% surcharge on Sundays - I could not find that anywhere on the website and they did not tell me on the phone either at enquiry time. Only when I had to put down a deposit, did they mention that in an email. It makes it all that much more expensive, but we did not mind the splurge for a once in a while luxury.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank JIG80
relaxbyronbay, Owner at Buddha Gardens Day Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your experience at Buddha Gardens as you have a highlighted some areas which I feel we can improve in our communication with our clients. The Divine Discovery treatment you chose is very relaxing treatment for couples to experience together. As you mentioned, it does include a Swedish Massage, this massage is a full-body relaxation massage. You mentioned that you did select "deep" on your client card and that you prefer a "deep tissue" massage. Massage therapists undergo additional training to perform Deep Tissue so not all therapists are qualified to do a Deep Tissue Massage. If you require a Deep Tissue Massage and not a Swedish, please let us know at time of booking, we can then make sure we accommodate your needs, unfortunately this does need to be arranged before your arrival, I am sure many people are not aware of this. Our therapists will now convey to clients the difference prior to a treatment commencing if they have ticked deep yet have booked in for a swedish.

Your bath was a milk bath but from requests from previous clients, we have also added some bubbles to further enhance the experience so you may have felt this was not the done.

We have just had a new website done and leaving the 10% surcharge for Sunday was an oversight so thank you for pointing that out, I have amended it. Once again, thank you for contribution.

Broadbeach, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Loved the massage and plunge pool/sauna area”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I would definitely recommend to friends. The massages were beautiful and love the fact you can come in early and relax in the plunge pool and sauna

Visited March 2012
2 Thank rainydaytoast
relaxbyronbay, Owner at Buddha Gardens Day Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am glad you enjoyed your time relaxing in our garden area with heated plunge pool and sauna as I do believe this further enhances your treatment experience with us, it is also gratifying to know your enjoyed your massages. Our therapists are very committed to what they do and as the owner, I feel very proud that that can create so much joy and have an impact on peoples lives today when everyone seems so busy! We are trying to create a unique experience for anyone visiting Byron Bay as well as for our many local clients we have and I welcome any feedback, good or bad as this is the only way we can improve.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I Visited Buddha Gardens with my friends, We all had the same treatments (balinese bliss package) And it was great we had the best time. The bamboo body massage was incredible, something completely different to a usual massage. We all found the therapists to be warm welcoming and highly professional.

We relaxed outside in the beautiful garden area with a yummy tea! It felt just like we were in Bali, Definatly one to visit. We will be returning again next year. Thanks

Visited January 2012
8 Thank kate s
Melbourne
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Beautiful yet tiny surrounds and a not particularly relaxing massage”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We visited Buddha Garden after reading a few reviews in Trip Adviser.

My recommendation is if you enjoy a massage where you drift away under a firm yet relaxing touch, this is not the place for you. Massage style is brisk and hard. We were asked what pressure relaxation massage we would like; we all put down "medium". The pressure was so strong that at times all three of us - under separate masseuses were wincing and there was little attempt to soften the touch at all. As we all had similar experiences, we thought maybe this was the style. But, we have all enjoyed swedish massages before and this was something entirely different.

Possible their philosophy is one of vigorous massage. If so, this should be explained up front when making a booking.

The spa is quite pleasantly appointed and its plunge pool is really a heated spa with no jets..but that is very relaxing yet in quite a tight area. There isn't much space at Buddha Gardens.

The overall impression is that the main clients are tourists so there is little motivation to provide an experience they may return for. For my money, I will not be returning. I have had far more pleasant experiences when going for a spa. I would definitely try one of the others written up if I was coming to Byron again.

Visited October 2011
Brisbane
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Highly rec the couples package! Exclusive...”
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Highly rec the couples package! Exclusive use of the orchid room Inc Japanese bath, 1 hr massage, fruit platter, bubbles & tunes! Customer service was fantastic & every comfort was considered. Our package was 2 hours but they were happy for us to arrive an hour early to use the amazing plunge pool with a lovely tray of green tea. Would rec for all & will return! A little bryon secret!

7 Thank BrisbaneVanilla