“Lovely view over the river”

Brunswick River Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Brunswick Heads
Low Head, Australia
“Lovely view over the river”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

First floor looking over the river. Very clean room and comfortable bed. Plenty of tea and coffee and toiletries. About over priced at $130 and no seniors rates. Pleasant reception staff who were very helpful. A lovely experience overall. Very central and 5 minute walk to the beach. I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melbourne
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Brunswick Heads is a small, peaceful, coastal town and this motel is in prime position. The rooms are exceptionally clean, newly refurbed and have lovely balcony views of the river. This was my third time at the Brunswick River Inn.
During a visit last December I realised the rooms have no aircon. I'm not a big user of aircon at the hottest of times, but my friend struggled without it. This visit, during a wet, cold, July it was immediately evident that the rooms have no heating either. None. On enquiring we ended up with the small blow heater from reception.
In addition, the free wi-fi didn't work and the owner showed no interest in solving this problem. (My husband and I are experienced users of hotel/motel wi-fi.) And finally, one of the bedside table lamps was malfunctioning and unable to be used.
The cafe was closed due to the motel undergoing renovations that were apparently very noisy from 8am onwards. We did not hang around to find out.
I do not wish to present an entirely negative review. I have such fondness for Brunswick Heads and have enjoyed previous stays at the BRI, but had I known there was no heating we would have stayed elsewhere this time. And $159 (Qn and Single) in the context of the above seems a little on the high side to me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zentriplet
DarrenTP, Owner at Brunswick River Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank your for your review, and your kind words regarding the motels prime location, clean, newly refurbished rooms and lovely balcony views of the river. We believe that your criticisms were fair and well reasoned. I would like to offer some explanation for these issues.

We took over the hotel 12 months ago, the building is almost 40 years old and was in a very decrepit and unloved state. We have undertaken the significant task of renovating the motel completely, not just new carpets and paint, but replacing almost everything down to the plumbing, wiring, roof, flooring... everything.

Many of the issues that you raised will be solved in the next stage of the renovation that has already commenced, the morning noise from was from the complete gutting and refurbishment of the downstairs cafe/restaurant, that has just started. We have tried to keep the noise to a minimum, and we will be shutting the hotel completely for the noisiest part of the process.

All the rooms will be air-conditioned in this stage of the renovation, with reverse cycle heating and cooling air conditioners. The little heater you were given is a temporary solution until we get this system installed. We will also be replacing the balcony sliding glass doors in all of the rooms to cut out external noise.

The WiFi has been an ongoing issue and one that i have to admit we have struggled with. The 70s era construction of the building is such that EVERY floor and wall is steel reinforced concrete or blockwork that seems to be almost impenetrable by WiFi signals, we have a series of 600mw commercial hotspot access points, that should cover all of the town, but we still have connection issues. While the motel is closed for renovation, we will get this worked out, even if it requires repeaters in every room.

As for the bedside lamp, bulbs die on occasion, this will be fixed immediately.

We love Brunswick Heads as much as you obviously do, and we hope that after this final stage of renovations, which should be completed by september, that you will consider staying with us again.

Thank you again for your review. It was more than fair. We hope that if you do choose to stay with us again, and that in your next review we will justify a 5 star rating.

Yours sincerely,
Darren Pearson
Motel Owner.
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while on business for the night. Stay in a renovated room with a balcony. Beth close to river, parks & shops. Will definitely stay again. Only negative is the walls lack a bit of sound proofing.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights as I was visiting for a friends wedding. I was on my own but the staff really looked after me. The rooms have all been renovated recently and were clean, tidy and excellent, there are more works planned so the place will get better and better! The location in Brunswick Heads is perfect, it's by all the main cafes and shops and opposite the bridge to the two beaches. It took me just 20 minutes to walk to the river beach,swim and get back! Perfect. I would say this is now the best place to stay in the area and thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed recently stayed here for 4 nights, what a great find. Hotel management were friendly, easy going and gave us some great tips for eating out in Brunswick. The rooms were spotlessly cleaned, pretty quiet - apart from the noise of the ocean - just perfect. Great little cafe downstairs for breakfast, close to town and great eateries. we will definately be back.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the main road, closer to the pub, little noisier, but doesn't go on too long...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gawler, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel for the past 2 years at Easter for the Bluesfest. The room was very clean and comfortable and well serviced. The staff were very accommodating during our stay, even as far as organising to have 2 bottles of wine in our fridge for our arrival (thanks Frederick). This hotel was the first place I looked to book again for this years festival holiday and we can't wait to stay again. We're looking forward to seeing the newly renovated rooms and to meet the new management.
chees
Karen

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2012

A great newly reno'd motel, we were made to feel very welcome by the great staff, the beds were very comfortable, the new showers were nice and hot and the room was very clean. We stayed an enjoyable couple of days, we would definitely like to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
The Sails Motel
The Sails Motel
#2 of 4 in Brunswick Heads
Peppers Salt Resort & Spa

Been to Brunswick River Inn? Share your experiences!