“A delightful surprise”

Peppers Craigieburn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed here on a stopover on way home to Brisbane and found the accommodation and particularly the restaurant absolutely delightful. Stayed in the Morton wing with air conditioning and although the room wasn't on the large side, it was ideal for our purposes. The manicured gardens are just beautiful and the site in general is so picturesque. The restaurant was an unexpected surprise with the taster plate, soufflé and the rib fillet being just delicious. Breakfast the next day was also a treat with granola parfaits, eggs served in individual pots, fruit smoothies and the usual Buffett breakfast inclusions. All in all a great place to stay for couples!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you Suratkid for your great feedback. Pleased to note you enjoyed your dining experience and the beautiful grounds. We do hope you will visit us again. Kind regards Robyn & Team

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had an overnight stay whilst on our way to the Wombeyan Caves. It is a great getaway for couples, but not so much for families with children. Staff are friendly, grounds are immaculate with beautifully manicured gardens and very peaceful. Please be aware that rooms in the Elms wing do not have air conditioning and have only a ceiling fan for cooling. We were not aware of this at the time of booking and were surprised and taken back. You normally do not expect this of a supposedly 4 star hotel! However after contacting reception, we had our room upgraded to the Morton Wing for a small fee.

Room Tip: Please be aware that rooms in the Elms wing do not have air conditioning and have only a ceiling fan...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 181Laila_13

Hi 181Laila. Thank you for taking the time to review you stay with us. Great to note you found the staff friendly and enjoyed the Hotel setting and surrounds. We do hope you will visit us again. Kind regards Robyn & Team

Reviewed January 2, 2014

What a disappointing end to a holiday. We stayed there on New Years Eve, so expected them to be busy etc. What we were not expecting though were the outdated, musty smelling rooms (had me sneezing all night) with a terrible, small, old bathroom - more like a 3 star motel. To top it off, only one towel. Front staff not very friendly or efficient either. After 7 phone calls (my husband and I were laughing by the 5th call) to our room to confirm, we finally received our towel and the very expensive room service meal!....with the order still being incorrect! We didn't expect it to be up to their usual standard due to the busyness of New Year's Eve, however, for the price - one of the worst meals we have ever eaten. Wouldn't say the buffet breakfast was anything other than ordinary either.
Hate to say it as will happily give credit where its due, but overall very disappointing. As although the price was what you would expect to pay at a Peppers resort, the standards were definitely not up to the Peppers name and reputation.

2  Thank silvia d

Hi Silvia D After reading your review I am wondering if perhaps you have reviewed the correct Hotel. The reason I suggest this is that we did not offer room service meals on New Year’s Eve nor did we serve any, therefore your claims regarding your room service meal cannot relate to this Hotel. After investigating your issue regarding the towel with the staff on duty, they did not recieve any requests for additional linen on this day or evening. Also as we have just completed spring cleaning of all our rooms I can confidently say they are fresh and not as you claim. Kind regards Robyn & Team

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Recently spent 3 nights at Craigieburn, nice relaxing public areas and grounds, good location but small rooms and miniscule bathrooms. You can hardly walk around the bed, it feels like a 1960s motel room which has been redecorated, it is not up to scratch for the room rate charged. First night they forgot to service the room.
Breakfast is an ordinary buffet without any effort, could be done much better.
This hotel is OK but is simply way overpriced and appears to be understaffed, simply not acceptable at these rates.

1  Thank Terry F
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Hi Terry Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I note your comments on the rooms size, having been built back in 1887 with additions in the 1930's and 1960, the rooms are not of the size of modern hotels however very comfortably appointed. We do have lovely large lounge areas for our guests to relax in as you highlight. I am sorry that your room was not serviced on one night of your stay and have passed this feedback on to the Executive Housekeeper. I am sorry to learn you were not happy with the breakfast buffet for which we gennerally get great feedback. Like all hotels pricing is always due to demand and if you visit early or midweek you will find that the rates are generally lower. Kind regards Robyn & Team

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Craigieburn is set amid lush fields and surrounded by by lovely gardens which provided a lovely walk. The homestead is obviously beautiful but in need of a revamp. The service was average and on check out we were over charged until it was pointed out. The service in the restaurant was pleasant however our dishes were mixed up with another table and rather than wait again we ate what they had ordered - the pork was lovely but the soufflé was worse than average. The room was on the small side but did open put a shared deck with a couple of chairs. The onsite Spa and Beauty service was very overpriced - $130 for a very average massage - more like a body polish!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you Jennie for your feedback. It is a beautiful setting has you highlight. I am sorry that your dining experience was not up to our usual standard and will pass on your feedback to the relevant Managers. I note your comments on Endota Spa and will also forward this feedback direct to them. Kind regards
Robyn & Team

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I used to stay in Pepper's properties in a previous life, with a previous wife….always fun and good value….this experience was disappointing. We only had one night….we were going to a wedding on a Sunday last weekend. The welcome was quite ordinary, no offer to help with bags, just directions on how to get to the room. The property is basically a revamped version of it's previous entity…it has not been modernised at all ( the parts to which we were exposed, anyway.) Our room was a reasonable size, the ensuite quite underwhelming, but the most disappointing function was the lack of air-conditioning. It was a 36 degree day. We were exhausted after the wedding ( great party at the Gibraltar Hotel down the road ), and didn't realise the a/c issue until we couldn't sleep during the morning. On mentioning the issue on check out, I was told that had I have booked directly, I MAY have been told that the Morton wing did not have air-conditioning. Silly me! I booked directly…ONLINE….maybe the website could mention which rooms have a/c??? In any case, I didn't even think to ask if a Peppers Hotel room had a/c or not…I assumed….and you know what they say about making assumptions!. Peppers has lost me forever with this less than ordinary experience.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has aircon!
1  Thank aldeb001

Thank you aldeb001 for reviewing your stay at Peppers Craigieburn. I do apologise that the staff did not offer help with your luggage which is standard practice to all guests on checkin and I will followup with the staff concerned. With regards to the air conditioning the only rooms offering this are in the Morton Wing and this is highlighted in our room descriptions on all websites and other advertising material. I am very surprised by the staff comment you note and will followup with this. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectation. Kind regards Robyn & Team

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and our daughter joined us for one night. There was a printed note beside the bed that said something like 'service is everything to us' - what service? My husband and I checked in on the first day and the greeting was warm but no suggestion of help with our bags. Our room was ordinary and a very dated bathroom. At this price I would have expected a bath and shower. No one showed us to our room and no one asked if we would be ok with stairs ( quite steep). Our room was a bit dearer because it had a balcony but the balcony only looked out over old out buildings.
The second day while waiting for my daughter to arrive I decided to have a coffee in the lounge but alas there was noone around. I checked in the restaurant but still no one. I went to reception and asked and was told to go to the restaurant. The receptionist then rang somebody who came and took my order.
When my daughter arrived she had a less than ideal welcome being told that checkin wasn't until after 2 ( the room had been cleaned - I heard it). Then reluctantly she was given the key and once again no offer of help with the baggage even though I went over to help her.
I'm sorry but the whole thing was repeated again when we decided to have drinks in the bar- closed- went to the lounge and nobody anywhere to be found.
Come on folks - this is not worth the angst or the money!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Linda56yo
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Hi Linda56yo Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback as this helps identify areas in need of attention that we need to address to ensure the best guest experience. I am sorry to learn that you were not offered assistance with your luggage as this is a standard offer on check-in and a reminder has been given to the staff concerned. With regards to your daughters checkin we do not guarrantee rooms will be ready before 2pm. Whilst the room may have been cleaned as you note, it still has to be checked by a Supervisor to ensure it is upto standard before the room key is issued. Your comments on the drink service are noted and have been highlighted to the relevant department head and I do apologise that this impacted on your stay. It is disappointing to learn that we did not meet your expectation. Kind regards Robyn & Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
Peppers Manor House
#1 of 9 in Bowral
Briars Country Lodge & Inn
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa
The Sebel Bowral Heritage Park

Been to Peppers Craigieburn? Share your experiences!