“Nice enough”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Paddington, Australia
“Nice enough”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We went for a function for two nights. The first room we were given was very small & at the back of the hotel with a view of the roof. It was so small you had to go out into the hallway to change your mind. We arrived at lunch time on the Friday. I requested a larger room with a balcony but was informed there were none available. I went back to the room to inform my husband. On seeing his disappointed face I went back to reception & requested again. As I said we had arrived a day before most of the other guests, so surely there had to be other rooms available. On my second request after much searching on the computer I was given a room with a balcony in a much nicer position. Why is it I wonder that every hotel around the world does this ? A guest arrives, you are offered a room, it is the worst possible room. Then you ask for another, it's better. Shouldn't it be first in best room first ? Not the other way around ? After a few years of travel I have now asked to see the room first before I check in & if I don't like it I simply ask for another room or go to another hotel. In the end it was a nice stay because of the function & friends we were with. The food was lovely.

Room Tip: If you will be spending time in the room & staying for more then 1 night ask for a room with a v...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hi KatKaren

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay. Great to read you enoyed your function and your dining experience. Note your comments on the room allocation pleased to read that the Receptionist was able to make changes to accomodate your request.

Robyn and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Don't be fooled by the gorgeous photo on their website.
Yes, the exterior of the main house is lovely (though there are some dreadful additions so don't look too closely) and the setting is beautiful. The breakfast is nice and the lounge rooms are comfortable. But the best I can say about the room is that it was fairly functional, though without a jot of charm or anything to lift it from the mundane.
The trip to most of the rooms in the main house winds through narrow, dark, tired corridors and up stairs (be warned, there are NO LIFTS, no warning of this on the website and no assistance with luggage was offered). On our visit the service was terrible (actually, non existent), our Elm Balcony room (the most expensive of the rooms unless you choose a suite) was small, dingy, poorly appointed and with a shocking view of the old sheds (see photo), the bathroom was old, fitted out with the cheapest of fittings and was without a skerrick of style or comfort, the restaurant is overpriced for the quality of the food and the credit card surcharge is opportunistic.
When I politely complained about our experience the response was also polite, but basic, "I'm sorry that is how you feel. I hope you'll give us another chance." But, why would I?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Possumpie
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Hi Possumpie

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay. I am sorry to learn that the room did not meet your expectations. With regards to your comments on the view over the stables which were built around 1887, to some they are considered of historic interst however I understand they do not appeal to all. I am sorry that this impacted on your stay. It is standard practice to offer assistance with luggage and I apologise that this was not offered to you, this has been addressed with the staff member concerned.

Robyn & Team

Travelers are raving about these Bowral hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at Peppers Craigieburn when we held our 5 day conference there. From reception to restuarant to function staff everyone was kind and courteous and only too willing to help. The rooms are functional and comfortable and mine had a beautiful view over looking the golf course. It was great to sit out there on the Verandah in the morning with a cup of tea and look out over the view.

From a function perspective the greatest plus for us was the range of breakout spaces around the venue. During the day our groups could sit outside or find a cosy spot by one of the three fire places to gather and chat.

The food was excellent, however there was a lot of it - more than our group could eat! Another comment I recieved was disappointment in the lack of gym facilities, however many over came this by running or walking around the local area in the morning and found that very enjoyable and a great excuse to get outside! A few members of the group played golf in the mornings too and enjoyed that immensley!

I had read some previous comments regarding the long corridors and steep stairs, however I think that this part of the experience when staying in an older style house with character and the too much modernising would ruin the ambiance. Someone to help people with bags though may be helpful as a future consideration.

I throughly enjoyed my stay here and our overall conference experience and would not hestitate to reccomend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the resturant side of the hotel are best, great view! I reccomend 212 or 213 if you can cho...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi Amelia V

Appreicate you having taken the time to provide feedback on your stay. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Robyn & Team
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

A potentially good resort hotel in a pretty spot BUT
Poor to average service... staff were mostly dim and slow.
Small, dingy, tired, old fashioned, poorly equiped room.
Expensive restaurant for dinner, but quality quite good
Breakfast adequate but poor coffee
Corridors were narrow, dark and smelt damp.

to cap it all they demanded a 2% surcharge for settling my bill on departure, with no warning at check in that this would occur, when then took a credit card impression.

My advice.. pay them in cash with coins! preferably 20c coins... my bill was over $800 for two nights, 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts and a few drinks.This cancer must be stopped.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hi ChrisB1949

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is disappointing to read your comments on the staff and your room. Being a heritage building built in 1887 the rooms and corridors are not of the size of modern hotels of today however they are well appointed and maintained. I apologise if the staff service was not to standard and will address this with all Managers to ensure they work towards improvement in this area and improve on the guest experience.

With regards to your comments on the 2% surcharge we do note this on our website, registration card, confirmations for direct bookings and information is provided on the Reception desk. We do offer the option of paying by EFTPOS or cash which does not incur a surcharge. I do apologise if this was not conveyed to you at checkin and that it impacted on your stay. Pleasing to note that you enjoyed the meal in Montforts Dining room and I will look into your comments regarding the coffee.

Auckland
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The location is beautiful and the hotel is set amounts a golf course and a gorgeous garden.
We attended a wedding at Craigieburn /Peppers and booked a room for 2 nights. The room was very small, although it opened up to a big veranda, which was shared with adjoining rooms, bed was comfortable, there are no complimentary dressing gowns in the room; you have to pay from the mini bar if you want plunge coffee and the cleanliness in the bath room was not a 100%.We paid NZ$320 per night, including breakfast.
They charge for wifi and 2% for using your credit card.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Tui2

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay. It is a beautiful setting as you highlight. I note your comments on the bathroom and will ensure this is passed on to the relevant Manager to address.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived after having spent the day trolling through Berrima and Bowral precincts and pulled in to this perfectly tranquil place. Whilst it is definitely a Period Property, it is delightful Yes I agree with some other reviewers that the steep stairs up to the entrance and the lack of internal lift are a bit daunting if you have large luggage but we accepted this as part of the experience. Though after booking in we were offered assistance with our bags, but we already had them with us. The staff were at all times very helpful and friendly. We also booked in to the main restaurant for dinner and even arriving earlier than our scheduled time, were accommodated very courteously. The meal was excellent as was the breakfast. The rooms were small but as the saying goes 'perfectly formed'. We were on the top floor (3rd) and ours opened on to the balcony which was accessed by French doors. We sat our there and had champagne and nibbles late afternoon looking out at the most delightful and peaceful views. The hotel has extensive facilities and whilst we did not use any of them, I am sure they are up to the overall standard throughout. There is so much to do in the area that I would recommend a stay of more than one night if you an, but one night is better than missing out.

Room Tip: We loved the Balcony room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Diney1948

Appreciate you having taken the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. Great to read that you found the staff friendly an helpful and you enjoyed your dining experience. Peppers Craigieburn is a great place to base yourself whilst exploring the beautiful Southern Highlands.

Hope to see you back soon.

Berry, NSW
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Yesterday I had lunch in Pepper's Restaurant overlooking the gollfcourse - a heavenly stretch of green. I had a delicious leek and potato soup. It was so filling I had little room for the following course of pumpkin soufflé, which wasnunusual and tasty. With lunch I had a Daimond Creek Savignon Blanc - very refreshing to the palate. Unfortunately there was no room for dessert - it will have to wait til next time! While we were there I read all about the history of the house/hotel and who had owned. A synopsis of the history can be found at the back of the menu. As I o ly came for lunch I cannot comment on the accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hi Joram48

Thank you for taking the time to share your dining experience, Great to read you enjoyed the food and the local wine. Will share your feedback with the staff as it is always great to know when you have done well.

Do hope you visit with us again sometime soon.

Robyn Bautovich
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
Peppers Manor House
#1 of 9 in Bowral
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa
Briars Country Lodge & Inn
The Sebel Bowral Heritage Park

Been to Peppers Craigieburn? Share your experiences!