“The Worst Service imaginable”

Peppers Craigieburn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The property was advertised incorrectly on lastminute.com and when I called to speak to the manager to try and sort out my booking for my parents, my sister and I, they did not budge to try and help AT ALL, in fact was very unreasonable. They have missed out on a triple room booking just for being greedy so I am glad we did not end up staying at this venue. Very poor indeed!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank freckles73_11
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

Dear Freckles_11

Having read your comments I advise that I have no recolection of having ever spoken with you. I have also checked the lastminute.com site and there does not appear to be any false advertising of our property on this site.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

This is the third time that my wife and I have stayed at Peppers Craigieburn in the last 6 month or so, and every stay has been wonderful.

A convenient get-away, just 90 mins from Sydney, we love the Southern Highlands and love Craigieburn.

We've stayed in a different style of room every time and they've all been great. The food is excellent, the staff friendly and the "vibe" of Craigieburn is just a joy to be part of. The grounds are terrific and the property itself a great blend of tradition and contemporary decor.

Last night we attended a Master Chef event, which was also terrific.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

Dear Peter145rugby

Thank you for the wonderful feedback after your recent stay with us.

The Southern Highlands are spectacular with numerous places to visit and Peppers Craigieburn is central to the majority of the little townships and wineries in the region so is a great place to base yourself whilst you explore the area.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed our MasterChef degustation evening, by all accounts it was a resounding success.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Peppers Craigieburn in the near future.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

I recently stayed at Peppers Craigieburn and found the accommodation, food and service to be fantastic. It is a beautiful mix of old world charm and modern design.

The Room
- As some of the other reviews indicated the rooms are not large as they do not have a lounge / sitting area but the hotel offered 2 large lounge rooms with fireplaces where I could sit
- The furniture and design of the room was beautiful
- The bathroom was nice and the shower was roomy

The Food
- The breakfast was hot and there was a lot of food options on the buffet including poached eggs in individual little bowls which I thought was quite unique
- The lunch and dinner menu was lovely and the deserts were scrumptious

The Service
- The restaurant staff were amazing and were very generous with their time, providing advice and tips for places to visit in Bowral and the surrounding area.
- The reception staff went out of their way to make sure that I was comfortable including offering a porter service

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Craigieburn and will definitely stay again

Room Tip: Elms Wing Room
1  Thank Travel_Rin

Dear Travel_Rin

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us at Peppers Craigieburn.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. This positive feedback makes my team and I very proud and determined to keep on delivering quality service.

Your description of Peppers Craigieburn as ''A beautiful mix of old world charm and modern design' is very much what it is. A great place to base yourself whilst you take in the sites of the Southern Highlands which our staff have a wealth of local knowledge on and enjoy sharing with the guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Peppers Craigieburn on your next visit.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

My husband and I decided to go on a quiet romantic weekend away to the Southern Highlands. We decided that Peppers at Craigieburn would be the ideal place for us to stay as it boasts to be a romantic escape for couples. I wish we had read reviews before we had got there. As per other reviews on tripadvisor, we were sorely disappointed. No one to help carry in the luggage, it is a do-it-yourself service. After checking in (the service at reception was pleasant), we went to our teeny tiny motel-standard room. The room was so small, we had to squash around each other to be able to move. The bathroom was tiny also. But this wasn’t our main issue with the room. The walls were paper thin. We could hear everything that was happening in the room next to us – the shower being turned on and off, the toilet being flushed, the news report on the TV, and everything that was being said. Not only did the walls let every bit of noise through, but the door also. Every door that was closed in the corridor, sounded as though it was our own door closing. We could hear every conversation in the hall way. To say the least – this was not the nice quiet weekend escape we had come for. The room was definitely not up to 4 star standards. I was starting to wish that we had not wasted the money on an expensive motel room! My husband went and spoke to the lady at reception and she immediately upgraded us to a slightly larger and quieter room, which we were really appreciative of. We had dinner in the restaurant downstairs and thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service we received there. The next morning a fire alarm went off for several minutes. Although it was nice to know that we were safe if there was a fire, no one came to tell us whether it really was a fire or if it was just a false alarm. So we dragged ourselves out of bed ready to go if there was a fire, only to wait for about 10 minutes before giving up and going back to bed. I would have thought it would OHS procedure to at least make an announcement over the loudspeaker to let the guests know not to worry.
So due to the standard of the rooms we definitely would not be going back. The staff were friendly and the food divine, but if the accommodation is not what it is built up to be, it’s not worth it.

1  Thank katiekoo89
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Dear KatieKoo8

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us at Peppers Craigieburn. I am sorry to read that the hotel room did not meet your expectation however pleased to note that the staff accommodated you in a more suitable room when you expressed your concerns.

You will be happy to learn that as a result of your feedback we have reviewed the training of staff on the OH&S proceedures to ensure that all guests are communicated with. My apologies that they did not follow through with standard proceedure during your stay. Thank you for this valuable feedback.

It was pleasing to read that our staff provided good service during your stay and you enjoyed your dining experience in Montfords Restaurant. I will pass these comments on as positive feedback encourages the staff to continue to strive to provide guests with good service.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

What an unbelieveable time we had!! From when we checked in to when we checked out. My husband & I were treated exceptionally!I had read some of the latest reviews, WELL HOW WRONG THEY WERE!! We had a wonderful time, eventhough they were hosting what seemed to be a large wedding reception & accomm. for the invited guests.WE WERE NEVER TREATED AS 2ND CLASS CITIZENS.
From being helped with luggage whilst my husband parked the car, to the prompt delivery of room service,the small but clean room with a huge bed & crisp linen, the great views of the garden & golf course, the sumptuous food with delightful waiters who were always smiling & constantly checking to see how the meal was, & then to the great spread for breakfast with everything you could want to eat for a country breakfast.IT WAS JUST FANTASTIC!! We frequently stay in the SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS for weekend getaways & have always chosen the same upmarket ,expensive hotel, BUT THAT WILL CHANGE FROM NOW ON!! ......HOW WRONG WERE THEY!!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the front garden.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank connie567
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2011

Dear Connie 567

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Peppers Craigieburn.
Having recently joined the team and noting other reviews on this site, it is pleasing to learn that we have made positive steps towards improving our standards and delivering the guest expectation.

Your review of your stay is great encouragment for the Team to continue their efforts in delivering the right guest experience.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Peppers Craigieburn sometime soon.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 22, 2011

We're widely travelled, not too fussy, but just want our dollar to equal the experience. Didnt happen here... The night desk girl told us we had 2 dinners on our voucher, the unable to crack a smile morning Madam denied it was so. Morning Madam booked us into day spa - attempting to make a 1pm booking on a day we said we were going to be out and about. we declined. she offered it again. *sigh*. who was serving who here? finally we booked for 3pm, adjusted our day to fit that and upon arrival 'madam' had only booked for one person... we changed the time to 6pm, the in town spa rang thru to the hotel to ring thru to their spa, but wait... that was expecting too much... at 6pm the hotel spa had no idea we were coming, let alone 2 of us... talk about tedious. The most disgusting part of this communication was Madam at the Peppers desk telling us the Endota spa people did not quite 'have it together' and then later the (lovely) Endota spa girls were telling us they had had previous problems with the quality of communication there.
No offer to carry bags to rooms upon arrival, nowhere to swing a cat, couldnt fit 2 people in the bathroom at once, no where to put bags, no robes to wear; had to wait for ages at the bar for a waiter to appear; waited 4 deep to be seated at breakfast and no one to seat us... oh.. except Madam across the hall looking busy and important at her desk... just looked up at her clients... and then looked down...
And lastly, the walls are paper thin. Late at night i had to listen to the showers going on my right, then the showers going on my left, then lots of snorting and nose clearing on the my right again, then drunken convos on my left. it was a long night..
Dont even think of this place. Go somewhere else.

Room Tip: the website room picture? not yours.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robbiemoonie
Craigieburn3, Guest Relations Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2011

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry of the shortcomings in service you have reported. It disappoints me to learn that you encountered some instances of indiifference in terms of attitude from a member within our team and sincerely apologise for any disappointment you experienced.The issues you raised regarding front office & food & beverage have been addressed with the staff members concerned and more training has been implemented accordingly. Once again I apologise for your less than ideal stay with us and invite you to contact me directly to dicuss in more detail.
Regards
Mary-Jane Wardrop
Peppers Craigieburn

A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney AUS
Reviewed May 21, 2011

5 star price without the quality or service. Booked the "luxury pack" for a special weekend. The "day spa" firstly had no booking and offered us a booking off site in bowral. We were planning on a day out, so fitted in with the plan. when we arrived! there was a booking for only one. The "suites" are tiny. no where for luggage. A chaise is jammed under the window, two people can't use the bathroom together, the lighting at the vanity is as good as a dimly lit restaurant, and totally deficient. Find a guest house instead

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
Peppers Manor House
Links House
Links House
#1 of 9 in Bowral
The Sebel Bowral Heritage Park

Been to Peppers Craigieburn? Share your experiences!