“Lovely Stay at Milton Park - a diamond in the rough”

Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Reviewed April 3, 2009

I was looking for a alternative location from the Blue Mountains and the Hunter valley for my wedding anniversary, and came across Milton Park in Bowral. On arrival to Milton Park we found trying to check in confusing, it was a struggle to locate the actual Reception. As previous reviewers mentioned, parking at this place is an issue, especially if there is a wedding held on the premises, we had to park quite a distance away and lug our baggage ourselves to the room. I really think if for a hotel charging this amount of money that they need to offer a valet service. We pretty much had to park on the grass, I do think it is a little unfair for all the parking to be taken up by wedding guests - they need to accommodate adequate parking for everyone.
We were fortunate to have an upgrade to the Lodge tower room, which according to my husband was the executive suite, I must say I was quite over whelmed by the room, it was lovely. It was nice having a separate lounge seating area as well. We had a lovely room that overlooked the beautiful country side. Bathroom windows really could have done with a good clean, they looked disgusting, cobwebs everywhere, but anyway. One thing though I was completely turned off this place, was finding in a cupboard a USED pair of underwear, hello you wouldn't even get this at a forumla one hotel. When advising reception the young girl pretty much just laughed when we told her, just lacked professionalism. Also what I found annoying was that there was no information on the hotel in the room what so ever, like what time the pools closed, room service menu, nothing, all it had was a menu for their spa!!!
I found the dinner was a bit of a let down, the serving sizes were just a joke, and allthough service was friendly it was slow, not sure if it was because they had a wedding there on the same night.. If I were to stay here again I wouldn't dine at the restaurant..
Unfortunately I had one of the worst night sleeps ever stayng here, the bed constantly squeaked and I could hear them moving tables and chairs from the wedding, kept me up most of the night.
Breakfast was average. In saying all the above, I think this place has such great potential, I so wanted it to be just perfect. The grounds are breathtaking and it feels like you are a world away. I think it is a wonderful location just to get away from everything and relax. I think they just need to pay attention to detail. When booking my room I dealt with a girl called Toni, and she was very helpful and polite.I would come back here again, I know what to expect - but hopefully next time it will be better. Also they don't advertise on their website they offer High Tea in the afternoon, I was dissapointed that this wasn't on their website as I would have loved to have done this.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank razzamartaz

Reviewed September 4, 2008

Milton Park hotel and Destination Spa:

Milton Park is the most professional 5 Star experience that my partner and i have stayed at in along time, we have travelled the world and felt like we were in Europe again.!

The Staff and Setting were trully amazing and no attention to detail was lacked, Joel the Executive Chef made our night with some of the most delightful meals my partner and i have tasted, Good luck in the getting the Chefs hat you deserve it!

During our stay all the Staff were Friendly and Professional and really enjoyed there job,not often seen these days in establishments. Thank you to Alex who took care of every request so promptly and with a 5 star service.

I will be returning to Milton Park again without a doubt, and if Milton Park are reading this Congratulations to everyone that makes Milton Park, Milton Park!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for a night in early April 2008. The purpose of our visit was to check out the hotel and their full range of services in the lead up to our wedding which we were going to hold there in 2009.

The hotel and the grounds are fantastic, the food in the restaurant was superb and the rooms were lovely. It is a long way from town and there isn't the standard high level of service you would expect from a 5 star place. Parking is a challenge, there is no one to show you to your room and the service at lunch was very slack. We didn't receive the "full treatment" that the other diners received, I'm not sure if it was because they were told we would be tasting for a wedding but you'd think they would offer a standard service to everyone.

Overall the service really lets down the place, when we were planning our wedding we were that they could do one thing on one day and then the next they couldn't. The coordinator while very nice is over worked and in the time it took for her to issue the quotation we orgainised the entire wedding in another location. So in summary if you can get a deal stay here, the grounds are amazing and the food great (we didn't try out the spa) but expect little from the service and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T-A-UK
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My boyfriend took me to Milton park for our two year anniversary. We often escape the rat race of Sydney at weekends and our favourites are Tower Lodge (Hunter valley) and Lillianfels (Blue Mountains) but as we were impressed by the Milton Park website and wanted to try somewhere new so we went to spend a weekend there.

It was a very cold weekend in july so we were glad we had requested a room with a fire, the rest of the hotel was pretty cold and I imagine the rooms without fires would have been too. They didn't light the fires in the lounge area or bar until after 5-6pm (so there was nowhere warm to sit and have a cup of tea or read the paper- if we hadn't of had a fire in our room) the hotel felt very quiet and apart from a conference of about 20 people there only seemed a few other people staying there.

The room was great- very spacious, large four poster bed, seating area with sofa and two huge windows into the grounds, and fire place as mentioned (gas I might add) room on a par with that of Tower Lodge. However the bathroom was poorly heated, shower was over the bath and suboptimal, although there was a huge spa bath big enough for two to compenste.

Prior to dinner on the Sat we had booked massages each these were fantastic (in the top 5 i have ever had) and the spa building itself was amazing, one of the best designed I have seen for a while, however the huge spa which we had been looking forward to using prior to the meal was out of order (supposedly that weekend only but according to the guest book it had been since May!) When we left the spa to walk to the hotel it was dark and there were no lights to guide us to the hotel...a recipe for disaster when steps were involved! Unfortunately the pool was in a seperate building from both the hotel and spsa building and it was extremely cold to venture between the two and when my boyfriend went to use it on the Sunday it wasn't even heated!

Breakfast was average, the cooked food wasn't made to order and was rather luke warm anf the coffee was self service from flasks, and again the fire wasn't lit in the breakfast conservatory so was rather cold to sit in.

To sum up our weekend, we had a lovely romantic break, Milton park is a lovely place to visit and we would still recfommend it, especially if you want to explore another part of NSW. It has all the ingredients for a fantastic hotel but needs to improve on some areas to carry on charging the prices it does. For a hotel charging as much as Lillianfels or the like there were a few little touches missing ie temperature of hotel, nobody to take bags to and from hotel, broken spa bath and cold swimming pool, cooked breakfast not to order and cold coffee.

Best features- restaurant, spa and huge luxurious bedroom

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DuchessSydney
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I have always wanted to stay here but have to admit, the reviews put me off! As luck would have it, a conference was organised to stay here before I had the chance to book a weekend away so I was happy to check it out without forking out my own money. Expectations were VERY low. I have always found TA to be pretty accurate so I wasn't expecting luxury or service. Here are my thoughts on the place...Milton Park claims to be a luxury country house hotel. Country house, yes. Luxury, not quite. The website will tell you the estate is historic, majestic, private, tranquil. I thought it was all of these things and my morning strolls were very enjoyable. Accommodation claims to be comfortable, luxury. Comfortable? ...yes. Lovely open fires and warm finishes. Luxurious? ... not really. It always depends on your reference point. If you have travelled a fair bit and are used to top notch service, quality fixtures & fittings then you will likely be disappointed. It's such a shame because this place could be amazing and I think there is a serious shortage of great weekend escapes within reasonable distance to Sydney!

I'll leave it to the other reviewers to point out all the details of the place.

I would stay here if you are looking for a night or two escape from Sydney - a place to chill out and relax. If you don't expect perfect service or complete luxury, you will have a great time. I know, it's a fairly bit ask to ignore slow service, (The staff also seem to lack the passion) and the strange mix of luxury with down right cheap and nasty. But the place has a real homely feel and if you get it to yourself, it is great for relaxation!

Drinks by the fire, decent meals and comfy beds (perhaps a little soft) make for a great weekend. I know, it is a little on the expensive side for what it is....but then again, it's hard to find truly great places to stay. Milton Park offers a different setting to the Hunter and Blue Mountains. Worth a trip for a night or two...especially if you have done the Hunter to death and are looking for somewhere different. I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank mkc91
Reviewed June 11, 2008

The only thing that this place has is a stunning setting, and a nice room IF you pay to stay in the honeymoon suite. (Oh and it has a fabulous Chef).

The place is poorly managed with errors and problems. Its very expensive. In hindight I wouldnt stay here again.

Its worth going up to Milton Park for a look of the estate grounds, having lunch in the dining room and then leaving (without staying overnight).

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Krissishi
Reviewed May 5, 2008

My wife & I have just stayed at Milton Park for three nights and can honestly say that it was one of the most enjoyable & luxurious getaways we have ever experienced.

The private 300 acre Estate is truly magnificent, unlike anything else I have seen in Australia and in my opinion rivalling the finest Chateau Hotel properties of provincial France.

Upon entering the impressive gate houses & climbing through the estates forest, you arrive at the stately Country House Hotel & its beautiful gardens.

We were met by a well dressed gentleman who escorted us to reception to check-in. Upon entering the hotel the stresses of city living seem to vanish as we were enticed by roaring fires and huge engulfing lounges that compliment the other beautiful French provincial antique & period furniture in the various lounge and library rooms.

A Chef appeared from Milton Park's kitchen in brilliant white uniform to get our luggage from the car and escort us to our room. This gave us a chance to obtain his recommendations from the fine dining menu as we had booked Milton Park's Restaurant, "Hordern's", for that evening.

We had reserved a Tower Suite a few weeks earlier, but were upgraded to a Forest Suite. The Forest Suite (Room 119) was huge, complete with lovely French furnishings, four poster canopy bed, lounge room with fireplace, two person bath, huge flat screen television and a terrace overlooking an impressive bronze fountain and the Estates renowned gardens.

We decided to go for a walk in the garden before dinner and find out what else Milton Park had in store for us. At every turn we were delighted to discover beautiful heritage buildings that house the hotels world class facilities. There was the gorgeous Pool House, huge Stables & Carriage House and a large Ballroom overlooking the Estates rolling paddocks.

We had a drink before dinner in the very elegant Polo Bar and were offered melt in your mouth scallop canapés before going through to the fine dining room. Both the service & food at dinner was faultless. We retired to the library for desert and a nightcap in front of the fire where we happened to find the hotels large leather bound visitors book, full of hundreds of complements and praise for the establishment, including noteworthy entries from Anthony Hopkins, Nicole Kidman & Sarah Murdoch to name a few.

The next morning after a hearty breakfast in the lovely Conservatory, looking out at the King Parrots as they swooped by, we made our way to the new Day Spa where my wife had an appointment for a hot stone massage. My intention was to drop her off and then to go and read the paper on the terrace, but when we arrived at “The Spa at Milton Park” I found the best leisure & wellness facilities that I have ever seen. I have since found out that American Express Travel voted The Spa at Milton Park one of the top 5 Destination Spa’s in Australia & New Zealand. I decided to have a quick game of tennis with the hotel’s pro coach. Milton Park has two Championship Size courts and a Tennis House where we were served iced lemon water after the match. The gymnasium, steam room, sauna, hydrotherapy pool & treatment rooms are all truly exceptional. It is clear that no expense has been spared in creating create such an amazing facility.

We went for a drive around the townships of Bowral & Berrima that afternoon and visited a couple of local Wineries & Cheese Houses before coming back to Milton Park and booking Hordern’s Restaurant again.

Milton Park is an absolute must for anyone seeking a relaxing getaway in elegant surroundings.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stevesSydney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
Peppers Craigieburn
Links House
Links House
#1 of 9 in Bowral
Briars Country Lodge & Inn

Been to Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!