I travel a lot on business and have had my fair share of 4 and 5 star hotels so was quite excited to try out the 2 day package offered by Milton Park knowing only a little of its heritage. The price was approx. $1,400 for 2 nights (incl breakfast) which is way above what we would normally spend but decided to hang the expense and enjoy the luxury. We were encouraged to get a tower suite at time of booking since we had 2 children staying with us.
My nephew was being married with about 160 guests and we expected something quite special which it was...location amazing, grounds stunning, rooms impeccable and hotel service generally excellent. David was very accommodating in managing to carry nearly all our luggage to our room at the top of the stairs.
There were 2 weddings - one Friday night and my nephew's on Saturday night. The Friday night revellers returned to our building and were quite noisy until after 1am which was quite disturbing.
Service at the wedding was reasonable but a few "must mentions" in chronological order:
1. After the wedding service we were asked to stand in the waiting area next to the dining room which was extremely crowded where drinks and canapés were served. It was way too cold to wait outside so it was very cosy and not easy for the elderly who struggled to find a seat. We were told a 30 minute wait but it seemed more than 1 hour
2. Table service was very average and wine was served by waiters with no bottles of wine or water on the table so you had to wait until they were ready to serve you. Another nephew of mine asked for wine just prior to entrees being served and was told to wait until entrees had been served and still nothing. We tried to get the waiters attention after half an hour and some speeches then they said "we are about to serve mains so you have to wait!". We spoke to the head service person (a short blonde lady) as my nephew (cousin to the groom) didn't get his wine until a 3rd request after mains with total wait time probably 90 minutes since the 1st request. This is unimaginable when we understand the total cost for such a large party in such an exclusive establishment.
3. The function room was totally sealed and became a sauna once music and dancing began and really needed a couple of open windows or forced ventilation. All windows were covered in condensation. The absence of water on the tables was especially noticeable once people finished on the dance floor.
4. Breakfast the next morning was buffet style and I decided to ask for an omelette instead of the scrambled egg and eggs benedict on offer as they had run out. I was told to order an omelette would cost an extra $12.50!!! Every 4 or 5 star hotel I've stayed at have done this without question or added cost especially with a room rate of $700+ per night...this was again stated by the same "service" lady as at the wedding. I then had to ask them to provide more eggs benedict as there were none left while I waited and watched the rest of the family finish their breakfast.
The fact we spent good time with family from the wedding was the best part of our stay but if we had been their on our own this kind of service would have been more appalling.
Now that I've ticked this place off my list, I don't think my wife and family will need to visit it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa, the Southern Highlands leading luxury hotel, crowns its own private estate. Considered by many to be the finest regional hotel in Australia, Milton Park offers luxurious accommodation, fine cuisine and impeccable service in an atmosphere of relaxed sophistication. The hotels facilities rival some of the greatest Country House Hotels of the World. Both American Express Travel & Gourmet Traveller Magazine have recently voted Milton Park amongst their top ten luxury escapes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Milton Park Country House Hotel & Destination Bowral
- Milton Park Country House Hotel And Destination Spa
- Milton Park Country Hotel Destination