This is not the first time that I've been to Milton Park, having attended a conference there once before. We went during the week to avoid the weekend crowds. The setting is absolutely gorgeous, the gardens very old with trees planted over a century ago. The hotel rooms are an extension on to an original period country house (the old Hordern home), and there are a few conservatory like extensions containing breakfast and dining rooms. The views from these rooms are very green and serene. In the old part of the house there is a bar lounge, dark but cosy. There are some comfy chairs on the front verandah, where it is nice to have a quiet sit, and some seating areas throughout the garden.
Rooms are always pricey during the weekend, but more reasonable for this level of accommodation during the week. Where prices are high, guests tend to expect more, and I think this is where some of the more critical reviews come from. The restaurant served excellent food, but really was very pricey. The service in the restaurant on the nights we were there was really top notch. However, this was after arriving for a booking at 6.30 to find no-one there and waiting for about ten minutes. Breakfast was similar. Food not too bad, (apart from getting a decent cup of coffee) but turning up to find no-one there, and after being seated, having them disappear for lengths of time. Service generally can be a bit hit and miss, and I understand people's frustrations. If you are prepared to be generous with your time you will enjoy it more. However, the hotel does need to pay more attention to detail.
The style of the rooms are French country. Adequate in all respects. My biggest gripe is that they provide a heavy doona as bedding in the middle of summer so that you cook with it on, but remain cool with it off.
I would go again, because the setting of this hotel is one of the nicest in Bowral. There really isn't a great deal of competition. The Southern Highlands is a lovely escape from Sydney. However, if you are after top 5 star style service and accommodation you may need to choose another destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa, the Southern Highlands leading luxury hotel, crowns its own private estate. Considered by many to be the finest regional hotel in Australia, Milton Park offers luxurious accommodation, fine cuisine and impeccable service in an atmosphere of relaxed sophistication. The hotels facilities rival some of the greatest Country House Hotels of the World. Both American Express Travel & Gourmet Traveller Magazine have recently voted Milton Park amongst their top ten luxury escapes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Milton Park Country House Hotel & Destination Bowral
- Milton Park Country House Hotel And Destination Spa
- Milton Park Country Hotel Destination