“One night was enough”

Briars Country Lodge & Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I stumbled across Briars and decided to stay one night as the rate was very reasonable for the night with breakfast for a long weekend. We booked in for dinner at Briars and the menu looked good.
I ordered prawns for entree which turned out to be about 6 prawns on a bed of lettuce with a small container of seafood dressing. The prawns were as white as a ghost and had no flavour to them at all, but as i was hungry i just smothered them in the sauce and ate them. My husband ordered the calamari and was content to eat them.
As my main I ordered the Tempura prawns, which again they used the same prawns and again had no taste at all. This time I could not eat them and I returned them and put in a complaint to the chef. I didnt hear anything back regarding this or even offered a discount for not eating this lousy meal.
My husband ordered the lamb shanks and found them to be pretty ordinary and nothing to rave about.
The best part of the meal was when we ordered a Pavlova stack to share for dessert. We watched about 3 people trying to stack this dessert as it came in 2 pieces with their grubby little hands, all having a go at it trying to sit it on top of each other. When it was presented to us at the table we said we no longer wanted it as too many hands have touched it and we requested our money refunded. Which it was. My husband even made a complaint to the Manager but we never heard anymore.
Our room at Briars was quite clean and nice and with a nice view of the lake with little ducks who were very friendly and would come up to you for food. The only complaint we have regarding the room was the rock hard bed. It was a very uncomfortable night and we have never felt a bed so hard as this one. It was like sleeping on a concrete floor. We were in room 19. And our bathroom also leaked through the exhause fan as it was raining on the night we were there.
Breakfast was quite good in the morning but overall I would never recommend this place to anyone and we will definitely never be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask if you can lay on the bed for about 5 minutes to check it out. And dont get room 19, they have...
1  Thank mrsgwilson

Reviewed January 18, 2013

The rooms are great ,big in size with double doors to open to a view of the pond which have ducks that like to come and say hello- we found it very relaxing but most of all good value. The staff are lovely, rooms clean and free use of washing machine and dryer.

Room Tip: Book a table near the window for dinner as the restaurant is quite small but it is a old pub.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank free-as-a-bird-16
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We only called in for lunch, and after handing over a weeks wages for two meals I can only say that both myself and my husband were displeased with both the food and service. To begin with we were ignored in preference of another pushy diner, resulting in nothing more than a table being pointed out and being left to hover at the reception desk re service direction. Our meals did arrived in a timely manner, however, my husbands $34.00 steak was chewy and less than appetising. My Salmon was served on a bed of oily mashed potato, which was under seasoned and consequently not worth the $28.00 plus price tag. It is clear, after reflection, that the customer of this eatery is paying for nothing more than ambience. Suffice to say we won't be back and won't be recommending this "restaurant" to any of our friends or family.

2  Thank tumbaBowral
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at the Briars for just one night as part of our Grand Pacific Drive Tour and loved every minute! Quaint, countryside location with great views of the duck pond. Spacious bedrooms with patio doors and a little terrace to enjoy a cold beer as the sun goes down. Helpful receptionist who was really friendly and advised us of local attractions and things to do. Went to the pub / restuarnt for both dinner and breakfast and could not fault it - cooked our own HUGE T bone steaks for about $25 with all the salad you could want and it was a lovely meal, breakfast good choice and went and sat outside to eat. Fab place and what a way to celebrate our engagement!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed recently for one on a Saturday. From check-in to check-out it was a breeze. Got a great overnight rate which included full buffet breakfast.

The room is good value for money and what you would you expect. Lovely outlook to the gardens from the rooms. Comfortable bed. Clean. Nice bathroom/shower. Only negative was that you could hear next door a little too easy.

Service at the pub/restaurant was outstanding. Head barman and licensee took time to chat gave plenty of information on the history of the pub; wine and beer recommendations; and food recommendations. All the staff were very friendly and always helpful.

Food was delicious. Had the steak and we were both very happy. The drinks were a little on the high side for price, but to us it was worth it.

Will be coming back.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We loved our experience! Fantastic service, from Check in to check out! Friendly, warm & hospitable staff! Our dining experience was equally satisfying. We would, & have recommend Briars to ALL of our friends & Family. very happy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NellyMeyers
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Last minute decision to stay overnight while driving through Bowral - I was really just looking for a motel, and the price looked about right, so I booked via the hotel website and turned up 10 minutes later. No problems encountered on check-in, I was handed a key straight away.

The grounds are pleasant and look as per the hotel pictures, containing a large pond with water feature and timber viewing platform in the centre of an expansive and lush lawn area. All rooms appeared to look onto the grounds. The room itself was clean and a little larger than a standard motel / hotel room - the decor being nothing flash - mid to late 1990's with a slight country tartan / brown / beige feel. The bathroom opened onto a small walk-in-robe / luggage storage area which made it more generous in size than an average motel room.

The lounge area within my room was sunken around 3 steps below the sleeping area, (not sure how this would work for disabled access) - but contained a sofa with TV and tea / coffee making equipment, and a fully stocked mini bar. The sunken living area worked well in two ways, a) it provided a comfortable and defined area to sit with direct access and views onto the grounds, while b) it was possible to see the grounds outside while lying in the raised bed behind. Despite being mid summer, I was also pleased to find that the central heating radiators worked when I switched them on as the temperature outside dropped to a somewhat chilly (10 degrees) at night.

Skipped eating dinner at the restaurant due to reviews read below and elsewhere. No room service appeared to be available, (although restaurant menus are provided in rooms), so I instead made the trip into town for dinner. The complimentary breakfast buffet served in the restaurant the following morning however was very good and contained scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, museli, orange juice, yoghurt, coffee, etc.

All in all, what I paid for and expected was a safe and clean roadside motel. Instead what I feel I discovered was a comfortable, reasonable value and fairly pleasant weekend getaway spot to escape the hustle bustle of Sydney with a tasty breakfast awaiting the following morning. If the price remains the same, I intend to return for a weekend break at some point.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank m320au
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
Peppers Craigieburn
Links House
#1 of 9 in Bowral
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa
The Sebel Bowral Heritage Park

Been to Briars Country Lodge & Inn? Share your experiences!