“Lovely location”

Gibraltar Hotel Bowral
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had read mixed reviews for this hotel but decided to go ahead and book. We chose a package that included breakfast, couples massage, golf and free WiFi. The weather was perfect and our room was on the ground floor facing the golf course, just beautiful. Our room was a great size with a gorgeous big king bed, so comfortable. The bathroom was also huge with a walk in shower with 2 shower heads, really lovely. The room finishes were a bit rough and looked like they were done by a handyman not a professional,that didn't impact on our trip though.
We ate in Harveys restaurant and it was very relaxed with a nice ambience. I had beef and my partner the garlic crusted pork, delicious. We finished with lime tart and kiwi fruit sorbet..YUM
We had a lovely peaceful sleep, the only sound was the occasional frog.
Breakfast was pretty good, fresh fruit,muesli,sausages,bacon, eggs,toast,juice and my favourite a Nespresso machine. I love my coffee. All in a nice weekend away, Bowral is very pretty with enough shops and restaurants to suit most.

Room Tip: Choose a Room facing the golf course for relaxation and perfect view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ACTTraveller2009

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have just returned from a 6 day Conference at the Gibraltar Hotel and I cannot recommend this property highly enough.

• Location and Description : The property is approximately 90 minutes south of Sydney Airport and is an easy drive on the express way to get there. It is located on a golf course and the surrounding country side is beautiful. There are lots of great dining options available located only a few minutes from the hotel. I can recommend The Royal Hotel for a casual but good meal and would give 10/10 for Onesta Cucina Italian Restaurant.

• Dining : Harvey’s Bar is a casual style on-site dining option and the food and drinks are excellent. They also provide jazz music on the weekends. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with a huge selection each day.

• Wi-FI : Is available throughout the hotel.
• The Day Spa : Is fabulous. A beautiful high end spa. If you have the time and your budget allows, treat yourself to something special in the spa centre.

• The Staff : All the staff were amazing! From front desk, to the dining and bar areas, as well as all the staff behind the scenes in operation. With no exceptions, everyone was helpful and friendly – all the time.

• Pool and Gym : There is a good indoor heated pool and gym on-site.

• Accommodation : There are several room types available for all budgets here. The rooms at this hotel are all large and have spacious bathrooms with rain shower heads. The beds here are the best - ever! Is it the bed, the bed topper, the quilt cover or the pillows, but sleeping in the bed was like heaven.

• Concierge : There is no concierge or bell boy at this property, so if you are this way inclined, forget it. The property is small enough and I believe not to warrant this.

Would I recommend Gibraltar Hotel to others? Absolutely. Whether it is for leisure or corporate, you will not go wrong by staying at this small hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course view with balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I spent a Saturday night over the Queen's birthday weekend at the Gibraltar. We booked an executive room with a king sized bed and large spa bath which was very nice. The hotel is well laid out with views over the golf course and Harvey's bar is a great place to sit, relax and have a drink. Our only complaint was the layout of the room we were given, the siting area particularly was on angle and watching television was not very comfortable. As the hotel was fully booked we had no other option other than finding another place to stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James C
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Gibraltar for two nights in late April, in an Executive Suite.

The hotel itself is well presented, and fairly well appointed. The king sized bed was very comfortable, and the spa bath was great with room enough for two.

The outstanding highlight of my stay however was the Day Spa. I had one of the best massages of my life, and the overall experience was very polished yet friendly. The grooming salon was also great, with the stylist giving me some tips that I'd never had and yet easily transformed my hair from 'out of control' to well, not.

The service outside of the spa however, was not up to scratch for the prices charged. Angry, inconvenienced food, beverage and reception staff does not make for a warm welcome or stay. There is no valet, no bellboys, no concierge. You need to find your way to the hotel, find a spot in the car park and carry your bags to reception. And then to your room. We ordered a bottle of champagne to our room and had to ring twice to follow it up. The process took over an hour and a half.

Value wise, I wasn't happy paying the price we did for the room we got. It was a normal hotel sized room, albeit with a balcony, great bed and spa bath. And the walls are paper thin.

I won't be visiting again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tough_Job
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Spent two nights here recently. Really nice hotel, lovely and helpful staff, nice big rooms rooms (and bathrooms), big comfy beds, comfortable and relaxing 'Harvey's bar' (although not a lot of lounge seating, so get in early). One of the best English breakfasts I've had and lovely views overlooking a golf course (provided your room doesn't face the car park).

Only downside is the rooms aren't soundproof. We stayed in room 244 which is close to Harvey's bar so you can hear a dull thud of the music (they have a live singer or DJ on some nights). Unless you're a light sleeper or sensitive to sound, it's white noise so not a big deal. What is a big deal is when you can hear the TV of the room next door, the occupants coughing, talking and just generally living, and, in our case, three kids being kids, including a baby who cries through the night. For what you pay, I found this really disappointing.

Would I stay here again? Most likely not. If I did I would make sure to ask for a room that faces the golf course and is located at the other end of where Harry's Bar. As for room neighbours, be prepared for some general living noises and hope that overall they're pretty quiet.

Is it worth the money? On the accommodation and services, definitely. On noise v cost? No.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room facing the Golf Course and not the car park and away from Harry's Bar.
2  Thank bellypop
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Gibraltar has so much going for it. Beautiful premises, clean and comfortable rooms, lovely beds and pillows and fantastic, large bathrooms. The indoor heated swimming pool was great and is open to kids, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The Spa was lovely and clean, but far from the best spa services I've had. Granted, this is not marketed as a 'family' friendly hotel, but there is absolutely nothing for kids to do. The breakfast dining room seems dated and empty but with a lovely view over the golf course. The dinner restaurant was warmer but nothing to rave about. By far the let down of this experience was the food and service. The breakfast buffet was nothing more than mediocre, everything tasted like it had been tainted by bacon (watch out vegetarians) and the dinner both nights we stayed was presented very well but was either completely tasteless, overcooked or soaked in garlic. This was the first time that I can honestly remember finding a meal inedible! The restaurant staff were there but not really present, walking past our table countless times without bothering to clear it and standing around chatting while we waited to order. I would say the in-house dining was the biggest let down of it all. Overall a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course, not the driveway.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We found the Gibralta hotel very comfortable, the staff welcoming and helpful and the modern room spacious, clean with 2 queen beds and plenty of room to move about, the bathroom was oversized with a huge walk in shower, window views of parkland with free wifi and in house movies, the over all decor and lighting was a little dark but it did not mind it. Took a little while to get used to the air conditioning and you are spoilt with the choice of pillows. We enjoyed breakfast with cappuccinos and eggs made to order, variety of breads and bagles, muffins and pastries, cearials with fruits both fresh and in syrup and yummy yohurt, as you would also expect the usual bacon and sides that come with hot breakfast. Served in Harvey's bar with balcony over looking Mt Gibralta, morning views amazing, again found the staff friendly and welcoming even checking to see if we wanted more caps. We also enjoyed lunch there on the second day again food was fresh and well presented. They have a lovely heated pool and gym area but we found that this room was still far too cold to use the facilities so opted for a couples massage with I would highly recommend, the girls were also friendly and the atmosphere in the room lovely they made sure our massages and my facial was exactly how I asked. 10/10 Also used the hairdressing facilities and had shampoo and blowdry again wonderful experience. We stayed for 2 nights and spent most of the full day at the hotel enjoying the facilities. Really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: I always check with tripadviser first to see if there are any issues then always ring and speak to...
1  Thank Seanna1959
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
Peppers Craigieburn
#1 of 9 in Bowral
The Sebel Bowral Heritage Park
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa
Briars Country Lodge & Inn

Been to Gibraltar Hotel Bowral? Share your experiences!