“Dream come true weddings!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gibraltar Hotel Bowral

Gibraltar Hotel Bowral
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Sydney, Australia
“Dream come true weddings!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I just had a September wedding here at the beautiful, unique Gibraltar - Ceremony, photos and reception; and it was perfect.

As most of my family and friends (130 guests) attending were from interstate or overseas, they chose to stay here a few nights. And, they all loved it.

Service is great.

Food is fantastic.

And, Cassie, the wedding coordinator is meticulous and takes care of everything, big or small e.g. food and drinks served while you get your make up done, beers and champagne for photos, both indoor and outdoor options in case it rains etc. Invaluable for stressed out brides or just so that you can relax and just enjoy the big day!

Just a bit of advice though, if you're blocking out the hotel, make sure you are VERY clear with your guests that the hotel has been reserved for you and that is why it is "not available" for rooms on the general website. Even if you write it down on the invitation, I would still reiterate it verbally. A number of our guests booked outside of Gibraltar because of this and were disappointed that they couldnt stay on site!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joy Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

First went there a couple of months ago for the first (I think it was the first, might be wrong) of their Saturday night events where they get stunning Australian talent ... ours was Wendy Matthews and Margaret Urlich together ... doing a show. Actually I think Wendy is Canadian and Margaret is a Kiwi ... ok, "Australian and adopted-as-Australian talent"! From the moment you arrive, you get the feeling that this is going to be good. It was a cool Friday evening and as you walk from the car to reception, you get the feeling of quality and absolute luxury. Seriously, this place is 5 star (actually I'd give it 6), as deserving as any Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons or whatever that I have ever stayed in. And it is in Bowral, so much more beautiful and cosy than where most 5 stars are stuck, in cities. So, we get there, to reception. The lady checking us in, Nicole from memory, is simply the nicest, friendliest, most welcoming and helpful hotel check-in person I have ever met. There is no pretension like you might get in a lot of places (i.e. no "Have a nice day now"), she is a real person, genuine and with a healthy sense of humour so you can make a joke and she gets it and laughs along. Lovely. Anyway so I am indeed making a joke (about seating at the concert the next night as a matter of fact) and this chap standing next to me, who I assume is another guest checking in, kind of joins in. So we're all carrying on and feeling good. Turns out this bloke is John, the owner who just happens to be standing there doing his owner/manager thing. We get to talking a bit. This chap redefines 'hands-on'. Over the next couple of days I saw him a few times making sure everything was just-so. e.g. at the concert on the Saturday night, he was sitting in the audience and there was a minor sound glitch, and he was instantly on his feet, off back stage to fix it. This place is his and his wife's baby, so here you have the almost unheard of combo of 5 star luxury and the owner who is making sure everyone is comfy and happy and picking up a bit of paper someone had dropped on the floor. I'd better wrap this up before I run out of text allowance. The room - a good size. Not huge but a really comfortable size, plenty of room to spread out. The bathroom - bordering on huge. Huge shower, bath, two sinks (I think, not sure, might have only been one). The bed - the MOST comfortable I have ever slept in. The air con / heater. Even most 5 stars I've stayed in have trouble with this one, e.g. fan too noisy, setting inaccurate (too hot or cold). Gibraltar's was perfect. Almost silent fan and the temp was what you set it at. Pretty much exactly what you would want, but you rarely get it. Speaking of quiet, we did not hear a sound all night. Either the acoustic insulation between the rooms is heavy duty (probably is) or there was no one on either side of us ... and actually there was, the place was full. In fact, the words 'quiet' and 'peaceful' work for this place. Even when it was full to capacity, you walk around the (large) interior hallways and it feels like you have the place to yourself. Quick comment on breakfast and then I'm done. I'm actually a big fan of hotel breakfasts, Bircher muesli, scrambled eggs, bacon, the whole routine, love it. But I have never had a hotel breakfast that comes close to being as good as this one. The food was just .. yummy. Everything done to perfection. Plenty of it. The coffee is done by a big Nespresso capsule machine (I've got a baby version at home), i.e. the best coffee you'll find, and you make your own to suit your taste which I really like to do. OK, enough. Did I mention it's in Bowral? Went into town (3 minute drive) to a woodfired pizza place called BD's on the Friday night. Nice. Bowral is so pretty and well done. Sorry that this review is so long. The reason I think I might have gone a bit over the top is because I just booked my father in to stay there tonight to break his drive from Sydney to Melbourne and I was on here, tripadvisor, and I noticed a bad recent review that just makes no sense to me. No point in commenting on it because a person will write what they feel they need to write, for reasons of their own. All I can say is that that person's experience, whilst sad for him/her, is pretty much the opposite of what I have experienced at this place. Total opposite. So I thought I'd just put this review on to balance it a bit. Thanks for bearing with me. Oh, see all the 5 dots I clicked in the rating part ... I didn't just randomly click the top one without thinking about it. Thought about each one, decided what it deserved, then clicked the relevant dot level. Just happens to be all 5 dots.

Room Tip: Golf course (i.e. Mt Gibraltar) side is very nice. You pay a bit more, which makes sense, but it'...
9 Thank Flyhigh101201
Penrith, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

My partner and I were looking for an intimate getaway half way between Canberra and Sydney. He's working in Canberra and Im working in Sydney. After reading many reviews we settled on the Gibraltar and couldn't have experienced a better time...only wish we could have stayed longer. Staff were very friendly on check in and I would fully recommend dinner and drinks at Harvey's.We walked in, dazed and confused after our long drives and were almost treated like royalty by the ...well Im not sure what his job was but he sat us down and ordered food for us and attended to our every need. Like many reviews mentioned, the beds were outstanding! Loved the peace... we will definitely go back soon!

Room Tip: Golf course views a must!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosiebud60
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed for 1 night for a business trip, but was so impressed that I will definitely revisit for a personal weekend getaway.

Modern, new, intimate and unique boutique hotel. Massive room with an impressive oversized bathroom! The bath tub and shower area alone would be bigger than a single garage - ok, perhaps a slight exageration but the key point, it's big! I stayed on level 1 overlooking the golf course, super king bed, no balcony (which was ok as it was too cold outside to use a balcony).

Staff at the front reception desk were genuinely friendly and helpful.

I am unable to rate the value, breakfast nor spa facilities as I did not use them. However, I did notice the spa menu offering treatments that were comparable to 5 star Sydney hotel treatments.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the golf course for the view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PaulineAndBear
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked on-line through the hotel website into a Twin deluxe room for $225. The hotel is accessed via a narrow driveway, passing by a cheaper motel complex on the right. The hotel looks like a retirement village from the front and I was very grateful that we had not paid extra for a room with a balcony. These rooms face the car park.
Easy check in and onto our room on the second floor. The room was spacious as advertised. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and we slept well. The bathroom shower was huge and also excellent.
The negative aspects were the lack of normal facilities you would expect. There was only one bedside table for the two beds with one lamp. This made reading in bed difficult as no ceiling light or reading lights.
The light switches beside the beds turned on the lights for the wardrobe area and window lighting!
The advertised view of the golf course and Mt Gibraltar was actually a wide expanse of aluminum roofing of the floor below.
No luggage rack although ample room in the room for one. Just love the look of opened suitcases on the floor. Not!
No Duvet cover...a sheet for both sides. So horrible when you think how easily the sheets come off. Hope they change the duvet with each new guest.
The room finishes were also of a very poor standard. Very worn brown carpet and no skirting boards.
The public areas were also showing signs of neglect and the brown doors showed up every bit of oil and dirt from hands.
I felt like we had spent a night in the usual 'this will do' type of hotel that we like to avoid.

Room Tip: ask for a room that overlooks the golf course but not the ones with a view of the aluminum room.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank welldone99
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

A pictureseque southern highlands escape amongst whistling trees and a lush golf course. A very new and modern hotel.Initially booked for the Glenn Shorrock concert great package all incluisive followed by a memorable evening in the very buzzing Harvey's bar We were happy to have booked two nights.(more concerts to come) .Our room was large with plenty of space, the bed a supersize king which felt like a bed of clouds.The room overlooked a panoramic view of the golf course and landscape. A large bathroom and a luxurious shower fit for two. Being both "foodies" we were not disappointed the food was delicious and excellent service. A unique experience was our visit to the day spa. The day spa had a disitictive aboriginal flavour incorpoarting oils,skin products and scents . We had the "Kodo" massage infused with these unique aboriginal aromas and massage techniques. Definitely ignited our senses while enhancing a blissful experience.The hosts of the hotel John and Elizabeth were very welcomimg and approachable. (Families welcome we will be back with our kids).

Room Tip: Definately a room with a view. Become a member on their website to read about upcoming events and di...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here over the June/July week-end with some friends for some R&R and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was glorious (although perhaps a little on the pricey side) but the shower more than made up for that! Not a place I would go to with kids but if you do, then the staff will make them feel more than welcome.

Room Tip: ask for a Room overlooking the Golf course as the alternative is overlooking the Carpark.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
Links House
#1 of 1 in Sutton Forest
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa
The Sebel Bowral Heritage Park
Briars Country Lodge & Inn

Been to Gibraltar Hotel Bowral? Share your experiences!