“Enjoyed it very much”
Review of Oxley Motel

Oxley Motel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Not being able to find a motel or hotel in Moss Vale the local police officer (when he pulled me over..) suggested Bowral for my search. It was getting late and first place I saw without the no-vacancy sign was Oxley Motel. Situated right along the road between MV and B. Got a nice clean quiet room and a friendly chat with the hosts. The wifi was the only downside. They had it - but signal was very poor and I had to give up on using it. One of those things that's as important as a good bed, these days .. so perhaps look into that. The rest: I enjoyed very much and was happy I stopped there for the night.

Room Tip: I imagine they are all of same good quality
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed here for one night and couldn't fault it. I read some of the prior reviews, and I guess some people just expect too much. I paid $95 for a standard room on a Thursday night. I got a clean room, with a comfy bed. If you want more than that, then pay the extra $50-$100 extra somewhere else. I found Bill and his wife lovely people, and very obliging. I'll stay at the Oxley anytime. Cheers Marc.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Oziman8
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Bowral is a country town located a little over an hour south of Sydney. Along with Moss Vale, Berrima and Mittagong, Bowral forms part of a wider area known as the Southern Highlands.

Here, among wooded surrounds, you will find an array of attractions including wineries, antique bric a brac stores, cafes and (for the cricket enthusiasts) the Bradman Oval and Museum.

Its all sounds lovely and it is, I’ve lived there in an earlier life. But taking a family of four down for an overnight stay is easier said than done. Whilst there is a selection of upmarket properties and guesthouses available, rigid minimum two night stay policies at many, along with decidedly Sydney rates make these expensive options for a family.

At the other end of the spectrum there are a couple of caravan parks with villas (booked solidly). Sitting in the middle somewhere you have a handful of reasonably priced motels. The Oxley Motel is one of these.

The Oxley Motel is located at the Burradoo end of Bowral. You’ll need to car to visit Bowral, which is a quick 5 minute drive away. It offers a selection of rooms configured in standard, deluxe and executive categories. Some are configured with single beds enabling four people to stay in one room. Whilst this fact hardly seems worthy of mention you’ll be hard pressed to find other lodgings in the Highlands (at short notice) that enable a family to occupy one room for one night.

As far as our room is concerned, it’s clean and had some nice updated touches including a plasma flat screen television and quality refreshments. The beds are adequate. The bathroom is compact, basic but clean. There are reserved car spots outside the accommodation wing. The grounds are well maintained. The room temperature was regulated by a wall mounted reverse cycle air con system. Breakfast can be organised (well priced). Our hosts were pleasant and efficient.

It was a very adequate stay.

For the price paid, the Oxley Motel affords a clean, comfortable stay for a family looking for a bed for the night. It also provided me a sense of nostalgia because, as a kid, this was the sort of place that I remember pulling into for the night during weekend trips down the coast where your front door was operated with a key rather than a plastic security card.

If you want to stay longer, it’s a very adequate option and the money you’d save by bypassing the more expensive accommodation choices could be re-directed into paying for breakfast and coffee in Bowral cafes which, for the most part, offer "country" hospitality but charge “city” prices.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jas O
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Had to stay here urgently to be near Hospital and it was the cheapest I could find so that was good. Room had a very strange smell in it and after searching, found it in bathroom. Had to keep door closed and still smelt it. Only windows are onto carparking area and people walk past room so can't really have curtains open anyway. No breakfast included which would have been good. Anyway it was OK for a short stay

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NewcastleCatty
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed here for one night whilst exploring the higland villages of Mittagong and Bowral. The owner/manager appeared to be friendly and helpful, tho we didn't ask him for any info on the area.

The room was very clean, neat and quite comfortable. Well appointed with everything we needed. As it was a cold night we decided to 'eat in' and stay and so the good size TV with extra channels was very welcomed.

I agree with one of the other reviews in regards to the hardness of the bed - ours too in rm 26 was very 'firm'. The only other down side to the room was that the bathroom was very small - for me this wasn't too much of a problem but for someone on a larger build it would be a very tight squeeze.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kezzaloveslife
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was our second stay and it was as pleasant as our first. Room decor is getting a bit dated now however everything is in good order and very clean. We stayed a second night on the way back from Sydney and it was a Friday. The lady quoted us $130 and said it was due to it being a Friday and part of the weekend rates. However when we came to pay the man on the desk gave us a bill for $160 which I naturally queried. He insisted that we wouldn't have been quoted $130 which made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I later checked their website and it does show $160.00 as he said so I'm mystified why we were quoted the $130.00. At $160.00 it is definately not worth it and is overpriced. I will avoid staying there again on a Friday or Saturday. Pity about that.

Room Tip: Double check your rate when booking.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lionel41
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This motel is great to use as a base to explore the area. We stayed for three days and drove around the district each day. It was comfortable to come back and rest here. It was spotless clean and we negotiated a very good price. The location is good and it's nice and quiet. Recommend!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple