“Very poor condition .... don't seem to care.”
Review of Bangalee Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berry
Bangalee Motel
Ranked #7 of 8 Berry B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Very poor condition .... don't seem to care.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Where do I start. With the Australian flag first. It is so tattered I don't know how it's being held together. Then we move onto the pool area. The inner lining of the pool is starting to pull away at the edges and there is no pool-side furniture to speak of. Rotting wood decking needs to be replaced pronto! Cobwebs and spiders galore on the widows and in the bathroom. Lamp did not work. No spare toilet rolls. We couldn't get hold of an ironing board and iron even though the motel guide books says they're available at reception. And last but not least .... the swing ball tennis set on the front lawn .... you know the one .... a large stick spiked into the ground with a tennis ball attached on a string that you hit from side to side or person to person. It's just sitting there all lost and lonely and broken. That tennis set pretty much summed up the state of the motel. Very sad as I'm sure this place has potential.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 88Sarah70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our group of 7 couples has been visiting this motel in Berry for a few years now. The group enjoys the lower prices compared to other accommodation in the area, and we enjoy the 'walk' to the town and the meal at night. We have seen changes since the new owners took over but there is still more to do. for sure. The beds, furnishings and air conditioning have been renovated, but the bathrooms are still original. The outside of the place still looks like no one owns it including the roof, the driveway and the paving. However, I guess it is about what you are looking for. It certainly is not 5 star but it is clean, warm and comfortable, and fulfils a cheap accommodation need. We have never had the 'toilet' issue another reviewer had, but maybe we were just lucky or they had a problem and got it fixed. The new owners are very helpful, which is a great improvement to hte previous owners. They don't do breakfast, but there is a great breakfast cafe in Berry. so why would you.

Room Tip: This motel is a kilometer out of town and a great walk after the evening meal in the clean and crisp...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sightseerers
sydney
Reviewed April 28, 2012

After spending $210 a night for a 'suite' for our family, we were rather surprised that it was a single room with a double bed and a pull-out sofabed. The bathroom was quite shabby and the toilet didn't flush properly. We literally had to fill a bucket to flush it. It wasn't the most pleasant hotel experience we've had.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Berry hotels

Sydney
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I list below our experience this Easter weekend 2012 ($340 for 2 nights)

1. Very awkward entrance and exit to and from road
2. As we enter its an OMG moment, asbestos roof, run down unpainted walls, parking area strewn with stones over tar to cover holes in ground. An air of abandon
3. Reception door locked (3pm) and wire screens torn. A peice of corrugated iron forms the reception desk, not the new decorative type, but something from the clearance sale
and we havent seen the room yet!!
I ask to see the accomodation...

Very small... with furniture far too big for the size of room and the bathroom looks like something out of an old caravan
I tell them I cannot stay and spend Easter week end here...she shows me 'the suite' its much bigger with a balcony but is $20 per night more expensive...I think its called 'switching' in sales jargon...show them the bad first ...then switch to the more expensive. Its Easter so accomodation is at a premium...Im caught....I agree to take it..
I try to pull out the sofa bed but its stuck....she comes over and with a fair amount of pushing and pulling, the bed is opened up. When I try to use power plugs I can't find any, so get down on my knees under the bed and behind the furniture and I find a multiplug system. We turn on the TV and can't get ABC ...its all blurred, all we can get is foxtel sports. I turn on my portable radio and cant get reception, (could be a local issue)
No breakfast available but we knew this from the website and its a a fair walk into town especially on an empty stomach. However the website is very misleading..it's made to look new and inviting. No indication of the poor state of the building.
If the owners were honest and stated that they only offered basic essentials and the place was run down, we could make our own descision about whether to book or not. We would not then be publishing our bad experience as we would have been forewarned and informed

We left after one night and were not given any financial consideration...they are legally correct but slow to understand the hospitality industry. I hope we prevent others from falling into this trap

Room Tip: Dont rely on a website , check with the local Visitors Information Centre before you book
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Acron
Sydney
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Booked this motel as we needed to stay two nights for an early wedding on the Saturday. Reluctant to pay over $400 for the two nights at other accommodation in Berry. Photos on the website looked OK and unable to find any reviews for this motel - in hindsight this should have told me something! Finally found the motel which is not within walking distance of Berry township - it is on the outskirts of the town. My first thoughts were, I've gone into a time warp back to the 50's. The motel is an original from the 50's with little or no improvement. The reception area didn't help with my impression - I think it was trying to be rustic Aussie outback. The gentleman behind the desk needed some couching in public relations. I was so shocked at the look of the place I asked to see the room, even though he told me there would be no refund if I didn't like it!

The room was tiny but at least it was clean and tidy. Clean sheets and towels and the room clean but the furniture overpowered the room. Very large dark furniture with a desk, a table and three chairs. Also what was originally a TV unit that now held the small fridge, jug and toaster. The wardrobe had a nice touch of moth ball perfume. Electrical plugs were very dodgy with a multiplug serving the bedside lamps and radio/alarm. The original air-conditioner was still in place over the door but a new air-conditioner had been installed. The room also had a large TV with Austar. Reception was dodgy but that might have had something to do with the major electrical storm we had whilst we were there.
The bathroom had an original 50's glass with wire showerscreen and an attempt at a new handbasin.
The pool looked to be clean but the steps were too dangerous as they were very slippery but that might have something to do with the very wet conditions over the last 6 months.
The exterior views as shown on the website show beautiful country vistas but dont show the major road running alongside the motel. In the evening, lights from cars travelling this road shine right into the rooms unless the curtains are fully drawn.
To top off the experience, went to return the keys to reception around 9am. Reception locked and no staff to be seen. They also do not serve breakfast at this motel and it is a long walk into town.
After all these complaints, at least the motel was clean but for the price, I'm sure something else could be found for the same price a little further out of Berry.

Room Tip: The suite was larger but at $170 a night, I think you might find a better room elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bonnie8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berry
Berry Village Boutique Motel
Mt Hay Retreat
Mt Hay Retreat
#1 of 8 in Berry
Discovery Parks - Gerroa

Been to Bangalee Motel? Share your experiences!