“Definitely gone down hill...the food and the livestock.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Berry Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berry
Berry Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Berry B&B and Inns
sydney
“Definitely gone down hill...the food and the livestock.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We used to come to this pub years ago and it was really good value as even though the rooms were old and VERY basic, the food at the pub was really great so it made up for it. We hadn't been here for a couple of years though and were really disappointed when we stayed here for a couple of nights this month. The food has really gone down hill in a major way. I didn't realise that panna cotta could taste so awful. You have to be a pretty bad cook to stuff that up and the choc mouse was inedible - dry, floury and goodness knows what they did to get that result either. They definitely need to fire the head chef/cook and delouse the beds, as there were bedbugs too!!! Tiny little 1.5mil yellow ones...ewwwww....won't be coming back. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Room Tip: Not sure that's possible. You could perhaps ask for a room without bedbugs, but that may not be...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We made the mistake of staying at the Berry Hotel. The upstairs accomodation is disgusting. OLD beds with bedbugs (or were they fleas ?). Musty, dirty rooms. Appalling OLD showers with zero hygiene standards. If any of you remember the house interior on the TV show "The Munsters" then Berry Hotel is a similar type of accomodation. Eating in the hotel restaurant downstairs could also be a health risk. We sat on the downstairs balcony and there were flies everywhere. The tables were old and dirty and wobbly. A very unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: Tip is don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Berry hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

From the moment we were shown to our table it was clear the waiting staff were clearly not going to be hospitable. They were unfriendly and even bordering on rude. Having booked a table for 1pm we ordered our starters and mains. The starters arrived in good time and was enjoyable. Two of the six main meals arrived at 1.50pm. These were both steaks, one cooked medium rare, the other well done. The waitress mixed them up. After waiting for twenty minutes for the other four meals to arrive I complained to the waitress and sent my steak back, as by now it was cold. She sent the manager (?) who was extremely argumentative and informed me that "If I wanted another steak it would be at least 20 minutes as there are other diners here too". The other four meals arrived within the next five minutes and my steak shortly afterwards. From the first meal to arrive on the table to the last was half an hour!!
To sum up I found the service at this restaurant abysmal, the wait staff rude and the manager argumentative and totally unprofessional in his dealing with my valid complaint. If you want good food with courteous staff then give this place a miss.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

This hotel was disgusting to put it mildly. They made me pay before I saw the room. Had I seen in I would have done a u turn. Room dusty dank/smoke scented the last time it was cleaned probably 1970. Loud music till 12.30 am. I didn't sleep in the bed I was that scared. Can't believe I made such a mistake and didn't look on here first. The bathroom was nasty. I got in the shower only because i needed to shower but it didn't look clean so I left my thongs on my feet. Please don't make the same mistake as me. Lonely planet Australia recommends-they must be out if their minds. Oh and the bin is a bucket with a plastic bag in it.

Room Tip: Don't take any room
Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

was extremely hot, dirty, noisy with bugs in the bathroom and beds.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

Room was directly above the pub which meant noise didn't die down till 1am.
Room was on the roadside which meant you heard every single truck that passed during the night as there was no soundproofing...
The room was about 40 degrees too as it was a hot night and there was of course no fans or AC.
Not to mention the grubby rooms and insects in the bathroom.
Only stay here as a last resort....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

Our family recently stayed in room 1 at the Berry Hotel and I was very disappointed with the accommodation.

Downstairs in the Hotel is extremely well furnished, new, clean and attractive. It is on the back of this impression we booked the room. However, I found the upstairs to the hotel to be in complete contrast.

Our room was small, had no television, no in-room tea making facilities, no bathroom, no air conditioning, no décor on the walls, which needed painting, the furniture and carpet was old and in need of replacing. The lamp did not work and had the remains of food on it. One of the beds had a rip in the side where the padding was coming out. The only window in the room opened out on to an inside stairwell. Underneath this window was the shared tea and coffee facilities (around one foot from where my kids were sleeping).

The toilet and bathroom were shared and were in disrepair. The shower did not work properly and so we had to wait until we reached a campsite until we could wash.

We paid $130 for the night. I have stayed at Youth Hostels with cleaner, more modern and generally better facilities and have paid the same price for a whole week’s accommodation.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berry
Mercure Gerringong Resort
Broughton Mill Farm Guesthouse B&B
Park Ridge Retreat
Park Ridge Retreat
#1 of 2 in Gerringong

Been to Berry Hotel? Share your experiences!