“Bangalow Bliss” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bangalow
Sydney, Australia
“Bangalow Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you are looking to experience the unrivaled beauty of the North Coast you couldn’t better the Bryon Hinterland with a stay at Summer Hills Retreat. This retreat offers fabulous views with total privacy and many wonderful cafes and restaurants are near by. You can choose to totally unwind and do absolutely nothing or like my husband and I try a different eatery every day. We stayed in the Cabana suite which offers total privacy from your spa on the outside deck and a balcony over looking the valleys of Bryon Bay.
You will not find a more welcoming host than Francesca, who on the morning of our departure was busy putting the final arrangements in place for a surprise marriage proposal that coming weekend. Nothing is too much trouble at Summer Hills Retreat and everything just magically falls into place.
Summer Hills Retreat is the place to head for if you are wanting a totally relaxing break.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Robina, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

From the moment I enquired about a room, Francesca was a pleasure to deal with. Not only did she call me straight away, she gave us a great offer that we couldnt refuse.
As I only had a couple of days left of my holiday it was quite short notice and hubby and I needed a break before our first baby was due.
We stayed in the Cabana cabin and with its outside spa and breathtaking views we were taken aback. It was the middle of winter but the days were sunny and the nights mild.
Even though I was unable to drink, a bottle of bubbly greeted us and Francesca made us feel right at home. She didnt disturb us at all and left little notes under our door if we had requested anything. She had also arranged at our request, massages in our room which helped us wind down immediately.
We will definitely be returning, next time as three instead of two!!
Thanks for a great getaway, it was what we needed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I had second thoughts about going to Summerhills alone after my friend whom I planned the trip with decided to bail on me a few days before I was due to fly out to Australia. I wrote to Francesca and talked to her for a good bit. Francesca is simply amazing! She helped me to figure out how to make the trip possible.

Having already been there and knowing what I know now, I'm very pleased that I made the trip. I'd probably hate myself had I decided to skip Summerhills and stayed in Gold Coast instead before adjourning to Brisbane.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure if there are any words that would suffice for me to speak about Francesca, her husband and son as well as the retreat itself.

If you need an escape from all the craziness in your life or a much needed R&R, Summerhills is the perfect place. It's a little outside of the Bangalow CBD *cough* just a short street *cough* and it sits on a huge piece of land. Oh the view reminds me so much of the opening scene of the Sound of Music! It's more than just breathtaking and that means a lot coming from this city gal who can't live without her city.

The friend who bailed on me booked us the Forest Retreat Spa Cabin. It's supposed to be really really really nice but it's tucked away from the retreat's main area and you'll probably need a car to drive to that particular cabin after checking in at the office. Since I don't know how to drive and I showed up all alone and I was freaking out at the idea of staying out in the forest alone, Francesca was very thoughtful and she switched me to the Palm View Tuscany Spa Villa.

If you went there with your partner and wanted privacy and you are driving, the Forest Retreat Spa Cabin is highly recommended but if you were in my position, you'd be glad to be in the Palm View Tuscany Villa. The Palm View Tuscany Villa is a cosy little "apartment unit". I had a kitchenette, a room with a comfy bed and fluffy pillows, a living room with a couch and a mini dining table for two, a spa bath and separate shower. I pretty much had everything I needed. When I wasn't busy wandering up and down the Bangalow CBD street, I'd be sleeping in, watching tv, eating, talking to the boy on the phone or soaking in the spa bath. How blissful!

Just in case the kitchenette is insufficient for you, there's a fully functional kitchen downstairs for guest use. There's even a dining table. And if you don't want to watch tv in your unit/cabin, you can play pool/snooker (not sure which one it is that I saw), you can swim, you can do the nature walk or whatever else that you might think of. They offer massage services and also yoga/meditation. When you need suggestions or are unsure about things, just see Francesca or Graham at the office or call their 24-hour retreat number. They'll be at your service and make sure that you're taken care of.

Summerhills is not commercial or flashy. It's very personal and homely. Their service and my stay exceeded my expectations. Photos are not enough. Words are not enough. The only way for anyone to know for sure is to experience it themselves.

I can personally vouch that Francesca, Graham and their son are some of the nicest, most polite and helpful people you'll ever meet in your life, not just on a vacation. You'll always feel welcomed at Summerhills and you'll never get any kind of cold or unfriendly treatment.

Sitting in my office and re-living my experience at Summerhills was writing this review makes me want to jump on the next plane and head down there for more R&R. I told Francesca I'm going to be back and I will! You should start planning a trip too :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ohsillymNg
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Thank you very much Francesca! Marina and I had a really wonderful time at your retreat. It was an amazing experience! We enjoyed incredible privacy, stunning views and complete relaxation and freedom. We didn't even want to leave the retreat because it was so good! We look forward to visiting you again soon. Christopher & Marina.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

My girlfriend & I stayed in the Cabana spa cabin for a few nights between Christmas and NYE 2011, and I can definitely say that our stay at Summer Hills Retreat (as well as our trip to Byron Bay as a whole) exceeded both our expectations.

We loved the Cabana cabin as it was located away from the others for that added feeling of privacy as well as the fact that the saltwater pool and BBQ facilities were right outside our door. Even though there were other cabins around, we hardly saw the other guests and it really felt like we had the place all to ourselves - the perfect environment for a couple wanting to get away from it all.

We also had a spa on our balcony which overlooked the beautiful green hill side. It was great to wake up every morning and have breakfast on the balcony while soaking in the morning sun. Overall, the cabin was maintained exceptionally well and had everything we wanted (TV, self contained kitchen, air conditioning). Maybe the only little thing I would suggest is for locks to be added to the balcony sliding door. Even though the location was tucked away in a nice quiet area, we weren't used to being in a place that could not be fully locked (sorry, it's the mindset of a city-sider!).

Last but not least, what made our stay enjoyable was the outstanding service and pleasant manner of the owners Francesca and Graham. Their attentiveness and overall friendly attitude to guests added that personal touch which I think goes a long way. Thanks again guys!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Grafton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I planned a surprise proposal for my partner at Summer Hills in November 2011. We stayed for 2 nights. It was so beautiful and very private. Francesca was so helpful in keeping everything secret. I chose the Romance Package and everything was set up upon our return from dinner. Hot spa, rose petals and tea light candles and, of course, the engagement ring. Francesca's attention to detail was just beyond amazing. The tranquility of Summer Hills is just heaven. I highly recommend the breakfast hamper, it was just divine. My partner and I have decided that we will head back to Summer Hills every year to celebrate the anniversary of our engagement. We just didn't want to leave.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Byron Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed at Summerhills for a couple of nights and it was amazing, we had the spa room and enjoyed every second of it. The view was amazing and soaking in the spa under the stars was a true pleasure. We were able to unwind and relax in the quiet surroundings. The hosts were lovely and couldn't do enough for us.
It was a fantastic break and a lovely place to turn 40, bubbly in the bubbles. :o)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangalow
Azabu Boutique Accommodation Byron Bay
Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron
Bangalow Guesthouse
Bangalow Guesthouse
#1 of 1 in Bangalow

Been to SummerHills Retreat Byron Bay? Share your experiences!