“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Ballina
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I have been staying at the Ramada 4 times a year for the last 7 or so years. Generally I find it a pleasant stay in comfortable surroundings. However, I must say that my recent visit was a disappointment. I entered my room to find it possibly the smallest room I have ever stayed in, and if they think that is a Queen size bed, I have news. I own a Queen size, and this was not it!
After that I noticed an awful smell which I tracked down as the floor waste in the bathroom. I opened the balcony door to ventilate and covered the waste. I then had a shower only to find the soap holder was broken and my soap and shampoo kept falling on the floor.
Due to the small size of the room, it was difficult to set up my bag and the ironing board at the same time.
The following morning, I turned the TV on to watch some news whilst getting ready. It didn t work.
As I said, I am a regular business traveller to Ballina and I often have a colleague with me. My stays overall have been good. But of late, the rooms allocated to me seem to be at the bottom end of what is available. Small, no table or lounge, broken fittings, etc.
As a business traveller, I do like that little bit of space that a lounge or table offers for doing that bit of work at the end of the day. I know these rooms are there. I have stayed in them.
On several occasions I have stated that I would like various points noted in my profile about room location, etc and have been told this has been done. I am finding this is generally not the case.
I reported the room faults to the front desk upon checking out and the maintenance issues were noted.
I just hope that my future stays at the Ramada go back to match my earlier ones, because the experience in the last 12 months has not been fabulous.

Room Tip: Lower floors near Martin Street do suffer from a/c noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tracois29
Ben D, Manager at Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Tracois29 Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Apologies for the maintenance issues you mentioned. As you would know from previous visits this is not our standard. I am unable to comment on your room allocation as I do not know which room type you booked, or the circumstance associated with your booking. You seem to have described two different room types. If you could please make yourself known to reception and myself on your next stay we can address this for you. I look forward to speaking with you. Kind regards Ben Dargie Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Finnish first
byron
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

We booked a 1 night getaway while nana was here to mind the kids - liked it so much we stayed a second night (& would have stayed longer if nana didn't have to go back home!). Beautiful, big clean suites, super comfy king bed. Very friendly and efficient service. Really nice rooftop pool. Everything we needed was right there, loved it - bliss! Can't wait to go there again! I have put it on my birthday wish list.

Room Tip: we had a pool side suite, as we just wanted to swim & lay about in the pool and have easy access...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

The Ramada at Ballina is situated in a magic position on the Richmond river. There is a walking path all along the water way suitable for walking, bikes etc.
The hotel itself is well appointed. The rooms are on the small side with a maximum of 18 inches between the end of the bed and the entertainment unit. They have also followed the tend of opening the bathroom into the bedroom, so that sitting on the loo and looking at the river is an option! The bathrooms are very large with full bath and double vanity, separate shower & toilet.
The cupboard was too narrow to properly hang clothes and definitely had room in the room to correct this.
I did find the bed a little too firm & felt that a cushion top underlay would be of benefit
The restaurant called the Point was excellent for meals and breakfast. Staff attentive, food quality and variety above expectation - an all round great experience.
One word of warning - checkout is at 11am - I checked out at 1125 and due to business meeting running over and was charged a $20 late checkout fee! This is a first for me anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Don't be late checking out. Riverfront rooms have huge balcony with quite a few rooms opening on...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MSKahoona
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We arrived on dusk and were very efficiently checked in. Our room (405) overlooked the river although as a hotel room the walls of the balcony did rather limit the width of the view! King size bed - very comfortable sleep. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful sitting out on the terrace next to the river. Very friendly staff on front desk on arrival and departure and in the restaurant. A great find and we would not consider other options next time we pass through Ballina.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Othafa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Arrived late check in quick and easy Room 616 faced the small harbour great view. Airy room room service prompt. Huge storm to watch only annoying part was the walkway lights which did not dim all night and even with block out curtains was still noticeable.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Travelned
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

After returning from a beautiful dinner my husband and I were looking forward to a spa seeing as we had purchased the spa suite which was quite a bit extra. We were only away for a night (enjoying a night away together without our 1 year old). We ran the spa only to realise there was no hot water at 10pm at night. We contacted management and were told to keep running the water for 15 minutes and that it would return. 20 minutes later still no hot water. Management then said they would look into in and come to our apartment to check it. Took them another 20 minutes to get there and then still no hot water. This was at 11.30 PM. By that stage we were tired and just wanted to go to bed so went without a shower or spa. We were offered no apology from management, no refund for the extra we paid for the spa suite, nothing. We certainly won't be staying there again. Very, very disappointing unfortunately.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Tmcgan16
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed overnight in a One Bedroom Suite overlooking the Clarence River. This was a very clean, modern apartment with a balcony with great views over the river. We even saw the dolphins playing right in front of our apartment in the morning.

Everything you could possibly need was supplied. The kitchen is well equipped, next time we will stay for a few days and this will be very handy. Tea/Coffee/Sugar/Milk and a bar fridge. An air-conditioner in both the lounge and bedroom which were whisper quiet!

There was a TV in both the lounge and the bedroom as well as a very comfortable lounge which made a nice change.

The bathroom was clean with a large rain shower. If anything the bathroom is a bit small with the toilet behind the door, but that is being a bit picky. The bathroom amenities were really lovely.

The pool area is very nice and there are sun lounges as well as shaded areas.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was ready when we arrived and the parking is undercover and secure.

As I mentioned earlier, we will be going back to stay for a longer holiday next time. I can't wait to sit on the balcony, sipping wine and eating a seafood lunch while watching the boats come and go - maybe even some more dolphins!

Room Tip: Personally, I would choose to overlook the river rather than the pool. If available I would also pr...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Emerald8888
Karen W, General Manager at Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Emerald8888, thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and are planning to come back for a longer holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballina
Comfort Inn All Seasons
#1 of 20 in Ballina
Quality Hotel Ballina Beach Resort
Ballina Travellers Lodge Motel
Lennox Beach Resort - Lennox Head

Been to Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron? Share your experiences!