“Smelly Stay.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Ballina
Nambour, Queensland, Australia
“Smelly Stay.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

On arrival I was greeted by the stench of cigarette butts and an incredibly rude receptionist. I was given a key and pointed toward my room and nothing else. The room smelt like sewrege but I figured it would go away. I went out for an appointment and dinner and returned at 9pm. The room still smelt foul but reception was shut so I decided to have a shower and just go to sleep. I had my shower and tried to sleep but the stench was too strong. i found a guest information pamphlet and found an after hours number to call. i rang the number and spoke to a man who sounded very intoxicated and wasnt helpful at all. I covered the room in perfume and went to sleep. When I woke up the room still smelt horrible. I had a shower and packed my things immediatley. I dropped the key at reception and spoke to a man about the stench. I wasn't rude to him. I just explained what had happened and reccomended he fix it before other guests stay in that room. He responded my crossing his arms and implying that it was really my fault that I didn't come to reception on arrival. I explained to him that I was running late for an appointment and by the time I returned reception was closed. He stood by that it was my fault. I will NEVER stay with Hi-Craft again and I reccomend you don't stay there either. Being blamed for someone elses motel issues is discusting and I am very unimpressed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ZoeHarris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed at the Hi Craft Motel in November 2011 and was satisfied with the condition of the room: it was clean, tidy and fit for purpose - and the bed was comfortable. I was impressed with the friendly and helpful attitude of the manager. And I loved the sparkling waters of the swimming pool - which the manager takes pride in maintaining to a high standard. The added bonus of a water dragon on the property was fun.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Leah K
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

The Motel was fine if a bit musty smelling but it does rain a lot up there; mind you it also had a pool so it must be hot sometime. Ballina is about a half hour away from Byron but all the accommodation is outrageously priced in Byron for the festival – one night in basic hotel room $500, guest house $350 !!! Even the motel in Ballina had added a half onto its price, so $120 p.n. instead of $80 and all motels in Byron were booked out long ago.

But there was a privately run bus from Ballina to the festival via 2 other towns Lennox head & Suffolk Park, that takes 50-60mins costing $9.80 one way during the day and $10 at night. It said on the web site they were running the buses on the Saturday time table on the Thursday, but that was not the case so we got a cab.

Later that night (day 1) getting back to base took a while because it was a so called 'slow day' so there was only one bus out of there at 12:30pm and no one seemed to know what was going on, so the organization there was bad and there was no timetables up anywhere (we did at least know the time thanks to the earlier phone call to the bus co.). Funnily enough 'slow day' tickets didn’t cost any less, so we really thought the lack of public transport that day was a poor show, it’s very much advertised as a 5 day event not a 4 day one so everything should work all 5 days. (When you are booking the accommodation they are all “No worries there’s loads of shuttle buses”, no mention of 'slow days' then.) Then of course people who went early for the bus and ended up waiting for 90mins nearly came to blows with last minute queue jumping local teenagers.

So motel was fine but don't think I'd stay again when really I wanted to be in Byron.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank Eire-ette
Hervey Bay, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

This motel is ANCIENT. Rooms are shabby and crappy, bathroom looks as though it was built in 1940 with mouldy ceilings and vanity half hanging off of the wall.
When we woke up in the morning there was no power, we were asked if we had had the airconditioner on (which we hadn't) and felt that it was being implied that it was our fault that the power had gone off and nothing to do with the ancient wiring.
When we reported to reception that we had no power, we were asked "well what do you need the power for?" ?????
When paying $165 for 1 nights accom, the least we expected was power.
I would avoid this motel at all costs and have no idea how they got a 3 star rating.
Disgusting place and would rather sleep in the car than pay top dollar for such poor accomodation. I have slept in better swags! :(

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank doobydisco
managerfay, Manager at Ballina Hi Craft Motel, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
As the Manager of the Hi-Craft Motel, I can assure you that we value all our guests and we will go out of our way to make their stay as comfortable as possible.
The motel was built in the 1970's and yes we are by some standards ancient, but we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of the rooms, I can assure you that none of our vanity units are 1/2 hanging off of the wall. As to the questions the anonymous guest says were asked, this would only have been to assist firstly in locating the problem, which fuse, where it is located etc, and if unable to restore the power, how I was going to get power to the room and what it was most needed for at the time e.g. kettle, toaster, microwave,etc. and how many extension leads and plugs were required to run the equipment.
If this caused a problem for the guests then I most sincerely apologise for the inconvenience because we do value all of our guests, they are our business.

Travelers are raving about these Ballina hotels