“Job well done”

Ballina Beach Village
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Ballina
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We really didn't know what to expect being our first time camping. These guys made us feel so safe and welcomed. Staff are helpful and friendly. Food a little pricey but was really well made. Us including our pet had a ball!!

• Stayed: July 2014
BallinaBV, Owner at Ballina Beach Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Hello Sary, thanks so much for your review. We always appreciate feedback from our lovely guests. We have a terrific chef and typical meals are 200gram premium rib fillet with steak and chips $28 (beairnaisse, mushroom, or red wine ju sauce); Lemon myrtle barramundi with chips and salad $22; fish and chips $9.50; Thai green chicken curry $16; Garlic prawns and rice $22; burgers $7.50 to $9.50 etc.
Recently we had our Xmas in July weekend (what a success that was) and of course put on a turkey feast for $16 a head! Yumm. We try to stick to middle of the range prcies - the biggest component of course is wages in food. See you again soon and thank you for the review. Kindest regards, Rikki

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Our first visit so didn't know what to expect. Needed a dog friendly place so thought this would be a good place to come. Booked a standard family cabin which stated a futon bed/couch. Open plan it was, but very small. We knew all the rules, the ferry crossing ($4.80 each way), buy in town before you get here, beach advertised as 10 min drive but on arrival told a 15-20 mins drive to dog friendly beach. Pick up after your dog (always do anywhere we go). Disappointed to find our single bed was a single day bed doubling as a lounge. Unable to sit on it as it was far too wide for that purpose so had to sit on the dining chairs which were wooden seats with metal backs. Cushions off the day bed were used to make it more comfortable. The day bed/couch has metal on all three sides so still need pillows behind you for comfort. The ensuite is very small. The shower door hits the toilet and there were not enough towel rails. Yes you can fold your towels in half and fit two but they wouldn't dry as well. A couple of hooks on the back of the door would have helped. Clothes hangers are supplied (about 4) so take your own if you like your clothes in the wardrobe (very adequate). Only one drawer for non hanging clothes otherwise leave them in your suitcase. Take your own linen or pay extra to have it supplied. Kitchen supplies were adequate if you want to cook. As there is nearly 20 acres (noted on their website) maybe there could be an off leash dog run on the property as they really push the fact that they are 'the most pet friendly park in Australia'. If I had seen the photos of our room I would not have booked. The website shows either a futon or couch. We think we will pay for different dog friendly accommodation next time and go back up to the Sunshine Coast in Qld.

Room Tip: It's only worth the money if you get a deal like stay 7 pay for 5.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julz0407
BallinaBV, Owner at Ballina Beach Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Stay 7 pay 5, stay 4 pay 3. As you noted these are great deals and well worth it for people who want to stay longer. The standard family cabins have a master bedroomw with a double bed, a childrens bunk bed alcove with 3 single beds in a bunk arrangement and then a couch bed in the lounge, plus a dining kitchentte area. On the deck which is very spacious is a large couch and out door dining area. The cabins are equipped with all linen, tv, aircon, crockery and cutlery. The price is for a family of 4 which makes it a very reasonable price for 4 people. The dog friendly beach is a 10km drive to the South - which I drive in 10 mins. Some people take longer. We are one of the number one holiday destination by nights in the Northern Rivers, meaning that more people come to us than elsewhere. Our cabins are full every weekend, and we receive approximately 2/3rds of our bookings from returning guests, and the balance from referred guests and new guests. I think all your comments are fair. Truly if I won lotto I would order in new cabins. However, in the interim it is what it is. Thanks for your review. Kindest regards, Rikki

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is about my fifth visit to this amazing holiday destination. My wife and I are taken a back on how clean the cabins are..5 stars to the cleaners. The staff can not help you enough when asked.. the pool facilities are second to none..the beach is pristine... never had a problem here and on top of all this they are pet friendly..plenty of space...you would be missing out if you have not stayed at this park. As a frequent traveller this is the best park we have stayed in...in one word...WOW...at last a true blue family friendly experience whilst on holiday or just passing through,you will be looked after here.
cheers Kel and Samantha.

Room Tip: cabins towards the back near camping ground are very peacefull.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
BallinaBV, Manager at Ballina Beach Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Hello Kel and Sam, thank you very much for your kind words and lovely thoughts. Yes you are our ideal family guests and it is always a pleasure to have you with us. A big woof to you both. Best wishes from Rikki and the staff. Look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Pro's
1. Will allow dogs in cabins. HOWEVER , there are many many RULES
which are understandable but they like to remind you of the RULES everywhere you set your eyes to.
2. Lucy on reception very nice lady.
Con's
1. We paid $165.00 per night for very basic accommodations.
2. Whether you go to the beach or not, you cannot avoid the sand that ends up throughout your cabin and left me feeling a bit grotty
3. The cabins are located very close together and as the floors are tiled, you hear every footstep your neighbours make.
4. The Village is in South Ballina and requires a car ferry crossing to get to it. If , like us, we didn't know this, make sure you get food provisions in before getting to the village as there is nowhere to get food if you arrive late and you either go hungry or pay $4.80 x 2 times to go back on the ferry into town and back again.
Overall, great as they allow dogs but very expensive to be allowed to do so.

Room Tip: If you want linen on your beds, make sure you double check with the place before you arrive. Don...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank k84bes
BallinaBV, Owner at Ballina Beach Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Hi Don, thanks for your review. Just to set you straight on some things which I think you may have misconstrued:
1. Yes we have very reasonable dog rules – no barking or aggressive dogs, pick up after them, the beach in front is not pet friendly, the beach to the south is! We have two signs up saying this in a 20 acre park. So not sure what you mean by “RULES everywhere you set your eyes to” I actually think this is pretty reasonable.
2. The cabins don’t have tiles (soft flooring vinyl), and are 5 metres or more apart. I stay in them regularly and honestly, I have never heard ‘next door’ walking around – but I guess it is possible. Apologies. This isn’t a complaint we have had before;
3. Price range we have budget ($65) to superior cabins ($165 for 4 people) dependingn on when you stay – initially if you chose a budget cabin no linen – but then upgraded to a cabin with linen (of which we have 4 levels) and chose the $165 which came with free wifi, aircon, Austar, flatscreen tv, bike hire. This price is for 4 people, so very well priced for families. We do have couples studio cabins as well which are cheaper.
4. Yes we are an eco village 5kms from the nearest shops (though we have a café and kiosk on site) and if you walk to the beach yes you will bring sand back on your shoes, and yes after we close there isn’t anything this side. Sorry – just the way it is really. Brooms are in all the cabins to desand the vinyl floors.
Kindest regards, Rikki and the team. Ps. Yes Lucy is a gem.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

My son & I attended a wedding here recently & we booked as most of the guests were staying & we wanted to be part of the celebrations.
We booked a standard family cabin with linen for the two of us; the cabin could accommodate 4/5 people.
On arrival, the cabin didn't have any linen & we were presented with basic mattresses, my double having a thread bare, grubby mattress cover.
The bunk beds didn't have any mattress covers at all & there was foam spilling out of the thin excuse for mattresses. Very poor.

The linen problem was resolved quickly & was clean & crisp.
The cabin was also clean & adequately equipped.

Initially I contacted the venue by e-mail directly for availability & prices & received 2 different quotes for the same cabin. I found the best price on-line with lastminute.com which included breakfast & saved about $59. Surprizing as generally booking direct is usually cheaper as it saves the venue paying agency commission, normally around 15%.
I paid $335 for 2 nights including breakfast & coffee, direct price was $380 plus $14 for coffee.

The location was pleasant & we had a great time at the wedding. It's very family friendly & we didn't have great expectations with the accommodation however basics such as clean & comfortable mattresses are essential. A shame really, how small, inexpensive things let them & us, down.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank MiltonsBristol
BallinaBV, Owner at Ballina Beach Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Hi Angela, thanks for your review. Thank you for the comments, and indeed I have actioned them as well.

With regard to the bed protector I can assure you it was newly washed and put on the bed that day, and was relatively new. As we are an eco destination we have to use bore water to wash in - which leaves non essential whites that we wash a little dull. I am sorry that this alarmed you, but as I was the one who put the linen into the room for you - you could have mentioned it and I would have explained this for you and even put a new one from the store cupboard if that would have been more suitable.

With regard to the pricing - I just need to correct you. The range of accommodation that was offered to the wedding guests was of a higher level than the 'budget family cabin no linen' that you booked. Hence the price difference and the fact that there was no linen in the cabin. However, as you were an international guests and clearly couldn't get any linen, and for the sake of keeping the wedding moving along smoothly I put linen in at no extra charge for you. So there you are you got a bargain.

Thanks for taking the time to write the review. I am pleased that you found all other aspects of the budget family cabin very clean and our bedding linen pristine and crisp. Kindest regards, Rikki

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Communication break down effected our holiday, when I first rang about this village, I was excited we could bring our dog. Was booking a cabin and new check out would be the normal 10am but asked if after checking out of the cabin we could use the camp ground facility ( toilets, shower, pool, ) as we could go to beach for the day, and use toilet before heading back home. sounded great.
After calling on the Friday to confirm everything i get told you need to be off the property by 10:00 am and cant use facility's... NO communication when they made me pay in full up front with no refund policy .
So really we paid $230 for a hard bed for half a weekend. Booked and paid for 2 nights. we should have not waisted the money on one night and driven early morning as, by the time we get here at 9pm everything closed, including the pool.
Opened cabin, only to step in a huge puddle of water from leaking fridge, which had run right through kitchen and into toilet. Also room did take look to attract some bugs with broken screen net.
Also while having a swim we had encounters with a baby red belly black snake under the pool- these are not dog friendly or child friendly either, not much was done about it either, as only haft hour after telling management some guys where face down under there looking for a ball.
For a dog friendly camp ground it was ok, after speaking with another dog camper we both decided it needed a play area where you could have dog off lead to run around. there is better dog camp grounds and we won't come her again.

Stayed: April 2014
BallinaBV, Owner at Ballina Beach Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Hello Sue, so sorry to hear that you felt we weren’t as communicative as we should have been and that this affected your holiday. My sincerest apologies. I think my staff member thought you were just asking what time you had to be out of the cabin (i.e. 10am), as we would have been more than happy for you to stay and enjoy the wonderful weather and great beach conditions – as indeed I had confirmed to you on the phone when you booked.

Yes we did respond to your concerns about the python – and pleased to say it was a tiny, little baby python that was colourfully marked which my expert snake handler retrieved within about 15 minutes of you coming to the kiosk. Pleased to say it wasn’t anything venomous – and to be blunt we don’t make a big song and dance of these things, which is why you may not have noticed the retrieval. But we always act on these things instantly!

Also our apologies about the leaking fridge. I know that you didn’t’ report it to us at the time or at all, but if you had we would have sent down the night manager to ‘sort it’. Please let me reassure you we are always very concerned about our guests’ comfort and happiness, and that I can’t apologise enough that you felt that we were in anyway not responding to you. Yes we do shut at 8pm (as is advertised) but of course we always respond to guests who contact with concerns after hours.

Kindest regards and thank you for good Trip Advisor rating of 3.
Rikki

Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is a really great place for families especially with little kids. Our kids ran riot there and just didn't stop. By the time we did the beach, the playground, bikes, trampolines and dinner they fell into bed at night. We had a really delicious dinner at the restaurant on the Saturday night and spoiled ourselves with an amazing bacon and egg brekkie on the Sunday before we left. Also I want to say how very, very comfortable our bed was. The cabin had everythingvwe needed and the hospitality was terrific. Nice people who try hard to please. Also they dont mind little kids. Which is a big plus. The location is truly magical. Weloved the amazing beach and did big bush and beach walks and saw wallabies, ecidneas, a sea snake, eagles, lots of dolphins too. Kids lived the ferry and feeding the fish. To get to town was only 10 mins where there was a cinema and big shopping centres etc etc. We are going back for Xmas as they have a lot of kids and adults entertainment.

Room Tip: the superior was great. we also got a stay for 7 pay for 5 deal. ask about their deals
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
BallinaBV, Owner at Ballina Beach Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Hello Lindy, thanks for your review. I really appreciate the time that it takes to put a review out there. Yes we are a family destination - and we just love the freedom that we can give kisd to run and play. We take a lot of pride in our eco environment - and it definetly suits people who love nature and the great outdoors. You came really well prepared with the kids bikes and scooters. That is a definitie must have! Plus your kids teamed up with all the other kids and they had a ball together. Lovely children! Yes Christmas and Easter are special times when we put on lovely events for all members of the family. Free kids club activities, free dinner shows, free circus school, and normally some really interesting and unusual events too! See you then. Many blessings, Rikki