“Let us discuss customer service”

Mainstreet Family Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 15 Restaurants in Merrickville
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013

So I waited overnight to calm down a bit, but nope, still upset. Instead of focussing on the negative, let's discuss what can be done next time.

First, what happened: I came in at 6:13, waited a bit for a waitress, then went outside for a minute to meet my partner. We came in at 6:15. Placed our nachos and cheese sticks order at 6:20. Got our drinks at 6:25. Then sat. And sat. And sat. And sat. Furious, I put on my coat at 7:00 and wouldn't you know it, the food came through the door right at that moment. Without a word of explanation, the waitress put it down in front of us and walked away. When I commented out loud on the wait, she stood in the middle of the restaurant and told us (and everyone else in there) excuse me, that they'd had a lot of takeouts and she was training a new chef and what else could she say but sorry? Needless to say, the rest of the meal was not comfortable. I will also point out that another couple who had been at the yoga class I was at came in after us, and left before us.

So. Suggestions.
1. Tell your visitors that there might be a wait, and explain why.
2. Check on them often, see if there's anything that can be done to make their wait pleasant.
3. Bring the appetizer ahead of the meal.
4. Thank us for being patient.
5. Offer some sort of compensation when the customer is obviously upset.
6. Talk to the customer quietly at the table.

I had not eaten since 11:00 that morning, and we ordered what is usually one of the quickest items on the menu. A gourmet meal is worth waiting 40 minutes for. Nachos are not.

3  Thank 64ajf

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Salad was taste less, meat was try and the dressing was bland. Ribs were not really tender how you would expect it. French fries were under cooked.

1  Thank Schlex
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I love visiting Merrickville and took my sister out for lunch on Oct 16th. We had lunch at Mainstreet Resto and were hugely disappointed. The waitress told us the lunch special was BBQ chicken with salad or soup for $11.95. Not having time to review the extensive menu, I ordered the chicken with salad and an extra soup. My husband and sister order the same with just soup.
I found the soup to be suspiciously like part home made and part can - what I thought to be BBQ chicken was a few pieces of chicken on a wrap with chopped up pieces of tomatoes/onion/and lettuce. We had coffee and 1 tea and the cost for lunch was $44.15 + 5.74 tax + $6.00 tip =$55.89. This was lunch at a family restaurant better known as a diner. My sister who suffers from a memory impairment kept asking "what did you think of lunch" ?. I will certainly try one of the pubs when we next visit Merrickville - they seem more reasonable.

1  Thank wearytraveller849
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We've eaten breakfast here a few times, especially because we love the location right across from the Rideau Canal locks. Generally a full crowd of customers, especially on Saturday mornings. Nothing distinguishing about the menu choice and food. The French toast was flat and undercooked. A choice of good breads would do much to improve the breakfast. Still, we'll be back.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had lunch at the Mainstreet Restaurant. I had a sandwich and my wife had a wrap. Both were good, but my sandwich (smoked meat) should have been larger for the amount charged. The fries were very good. The atmosphere is relaxed and the patio is very nice. Unfortunately, they weren't very good about clearing and cleaning the tables. Ours was dirty when we arrived and when we asked the waitress to wipe it off, she did a cursory job at best and didn't seem very pleased about it. She thought nothing of wiping some of the debris onto me. The mediocre service didn't stop there. She never came back to check on us or get us more drinks. In fact, we had to ask another waitress who relayed our drink request to our waitress. She just seemed generally annoyed and not very happy about being there, but we're prepared to write that off to this one particular waitress. The other waitresses we saw seemed to be more friendly and interested in serving their customers. Unfortunately, this poor service detracted from our meal, but we're willing to give the Mainstreet Restaurant one more try next time we're in Merrickville.