“OK -- new chef perhaps?”
Review of Gad's Hill Place - CLOSED

Gad's Hill Place
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Quality and variety of food used to be better, but it's still a lovely atmosphere; best in town. We got spoiled years ago with Chef Joseph and nobody has measured up since. I was with friends and they swore the roast beef was microwaved. Not acceptable.

1  Thank 64ajf

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Recently had dinner at this establishment, our first visit back in January 2004 was not memorable - food was frozen in the middle and service was not good. Second try in July 2013.... nothing has changed, stained napkins, dingy dinning room, and the food is not great. Very disappointing and will not return.

2  Thank Copper15_11
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Merrickville Ontario is a great little town; lots of great shops, and some really good places to eat. On this trip through, we decided to try Gad's Hill Place. I am lactose intolerant and this time we we with a friend who cannot tolerate Glucose so we were a pretty fussy group. This place fit the bill right away, because they advertised 'glucose free" options on most sandwiches through having a source of glucose free bread.

Eating way to much on this trip through New England & Ontario, I opted for a simple lunch of Mulligatawny soup, and my wife ordered a vegetarian pizza. My soup was just what I needed, and was absolutely delicious. My wife's pizza order got mixed up and she received a meat pizza. The server accepted complete responsibility, and offered to get it fixed, but not wanting to wait, my wife decided to eat it. As it happened the pizza was excellent; she is not vegetarian, just wanted that option, but I appreciated the servers admission of the error - you do not get that so often; it is often someone else's fault, and I have had mistakes like this blamed on me, for ordering wrong (so much for the customer is always right).

the atmosphere of the pub is like an old English Pub, and the menus are presented in old hardcover books. All in all this was a pleasant lunch in an interesting atmosphere. Definitely worth a visit.

Deanna R, Owner at Gad's Hill Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I come by the English atmosphere honestly - my Dad was born in a pub in Middlesex England! And the menus are in books because the theme is based on Charles Dickens so each menu is actually a Dickens book. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Came here with some friends and family visiting from England. Service was alright, and it was quite stuffy in the restaurant. That being said, I loved the atmosphere and the unique items on the menu was a breath of fresh air. You aren't going to find burgers and fries on the menu (a nice change). I had the pickwick clubhouse with cole slaw. And for dessert we had the sticky toffee pudding....it was delish!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We took our friends there as a special thank you dinner and was very disappointed from the beginning. Once inside we noticed no one in the dining room (first alarm), second was the dirty napkin. The best one was our guest asked specifically about the roast beef and the waitress stated that she would recommend that. Its our own fault we did not leave as how could roast be their specialty with no one in there. We all had roast beef, re-heated or frozen, dry York shore pudding, over done, why didn't we leave we mentioned. The bill came and I had to pay it but am still upset how we got burned. Don't recommend this place