“Excellent Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Great Spirit Circle Trail

The Great Spirit Circle Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: The Great Spirit Circle Trail specializes in Authentic Aboriginal Experiences that exhibit the culture and traditions of the Anishinaabe people of the Manitoulin Island – Sagamok Region for independent travellers, families and all group sizes. While visiting, you will be hosted by local Aboriginal people who are proud to share a true reflection of the region from their perspective as the original inhabitants – the Ojibwe, Odawa and the Pottawatomi peoples. Visit our website to view our fantastic experiences, and be prepared for a memory of a lifetime as you Experience the Past, and Enjoy the Present.
Sudbury, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am a first year medical student at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine and for my orientation week my class and I had the opportunity to participate in the Great Spirit Circle Trail. This was a fantastic component of the orientation week and one of the top rated activities of the week. As a whole students (including myself) felt that the time spent was very engaging, worthwhile, and informative. I would strongly recommend this activity to other travellers.

-NOSM Students

1 Thank Meaghan D

Grimsby, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Can't wait to do more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Went to the Island for a couple of nights with 3 children... found the Great Spirit Circle Trail online and booked 2 of our children (aged 9 and 11) in the medicine bag craft... or so I thought. It was so much more than a craft. Steve spoke to us before the medicine bag started and we wished we had booked ourselves into an activity!! He shared the most amazing traditional bread with warm berries in its natural juice with all of us. We then left the children in Steve’s care (we had a non-patient 2 year old!!). The children loved Steve’s stories and learned so much from him but also told us what a great listener he was as they shared their own life stories and experiences with Steve. They made their traditional medicine bag and put tobacco and smudge into them. They didn’t stop talking about the activity all weekend! When we returned to pick the children up we had a very nice conversation with Steve where he shared so much and showed interest in what we had to say. We definitely will be booking a hike for our next visit to the Island. We left completely intrigued by the first nation culture. Steve was such an amazing person, we can’t say enough about him. This was definitely our highlight of Manitoulin Island!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Susie B
Thunder Bay
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A definite must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great staff, loved the medicine walk, teachings & homemade treats after too. Will go back to do more hiking tours next time.

1 Thank crozon
GSCT2013, Manager at The Great Spirit Circle Trail, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Miigwetch Crozon,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your tour and of course the treats afterwords!
Kind regards,
GSCT
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I had the opportunity to book several activities with Great Spirit Circle Trail.
The first was a historical journey of Wikwemikong with Mitchell. This was definitely a highlight of my trip and a great way to start. The content was interesting and Mitchell was very knowledgeable about the history of the reserve and his people. I would recommend this tour to anyone wanting to learn a part of Canadian culture and history that isn't taught in schools.

Later in the week I had the pleasure to take Teas of Manitoulin with Brad. This was a great experience as well and Brad was a great host. I loved trying new teas and learning about how different vegetation can be used as tea as well.

The next day I spent with Jesse making Bannock and Berries and making a Dream catcher. Both of these workshops gave me great insight of the native culture and their stories. Jesse was a great host.

The Great Spirit Circle Trail offers a number of native focused activities, there is something for everyone. A must if you are visiting the island!

2 Thank Christa A
Sudbury, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Medicine Walk was fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I participated in my first Medicine Walk on Wednesday, August 21, with a large group from the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. There were nearly 100 participants, and I felt that the team at the Great Spirit Trail did a fantastic job of organizing us into small groups. The information shared about the Aboriginal culture on the island was wonderful. The walk was very informative. With that many of us participating, I'm impressed that they were able to keep us on schedule. Great job everyone!

2 Thank kimberleylarkin
GSCT2013, Public Relations Manager at The Great Spirit Circle Trail, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Miiwetch - Thank you for the terrific comments! The group was wonderful and asked some great questions. We hope to see you again next time your visiting. Take care,
GSCT