“Voice of the Drum Wksp”

The Great Spirit Circle Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: The Great Spirit Circle Trail specializes in Authentic Aboriginal Experiences that exhibit the culture and traditions of the Anishinaabe people of the Manitoulin Island – Sagamok Region for independent travellers, families and all group sizes. While visiting, you will be hosted by local Aboriginal people who are proud to share a true reflection of the region from their perspective as the original inhabitants – the Ojibwe, Odawa and the Pottawatomi peoples. Visit our website to view our fantastic experiences, and be prepared for a memory of a lifetime as you Experience the Past, and Enjoy the Present.
Kitchener
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Voice of the Drum Wksp”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

What an extraordinary experience this little workshop was. I have been following native tradition for some time and I still learned lots. My husband and I attended with our neice (13 years) from Germany and I was so happy to see her drumming and laughing and enjoying the whole experience. Falcon, our guide, is obviously a highly educated man in both the native culture and in our business world. He was fantastic at creating a bridge for understanding.
Thanks for making a great experience, and I hope we can attend some of the other workshops the next time we are on the island.

3 Thank aingall

Brockville, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Voice of the Drum Song & Drum Making a Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My 11 year old grandson and I went to the Voice of the Drum Song & Drum Making at Great Circle Trail, near Little Current, Manitoulin Island, Ontario. The cost was $225 plus tax but well worth it. Our guide explained the story of how the drum came to be so important in native history and the significance of various parts of a PowWow. He then assisted my grandson in making his very own drum. The drum has a wooden frame, hide cover and hide strings. Part way through the three hour session we were served bannock (tasted like yummy tea biscuit) with wild strawberries, blueberries and maple syrup. The drink was iced tea made from lemon, strawberry and mint. Super delicious. The guide also sang some of the drum songs and taught my grandson the various beats that he would hear at a pow wow. I had a very happy grandson when we left. Whenever we return to Manitoulin we will look up Great Circle Trail for some of the other programs they offer.

3 Thank InsuranceBroker
Milton, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“outstanding in every respect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We took 3 tours with them on August 4 through Aug 6, 2012. Horseback riding, Mother Earth hiking and the Canoe Trip. All 3 trips were awesome and very informative. Falcons was our guide on all 3 trips. He was very friendly and helpful. My wife was super excited and could not stop thanking me! Highly recommended!

3 Thank Sergey A
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A wonderful learning experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

My 86 year old mother and I booked a combined experience of "Teas of Manitoulin" and "Bannock and Berries" We picked, boiled and tasted natural teas, backed bannock over an open fire, and ate it with berries and maple syrup. All of this was brought to a wonderful close by a storyteller. Our guide was friendly and informative and answered all our questions. I plan to return to Manitoulin Island to participate in more of their activities.

2 Thank Gini D
Kirkland Lake, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great group, awesome guides!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

First trip to Manitoulin last year (2011), enjoyed the native stories and teachings on the horse back riding so much, we booked a sunset canoe trip with them as soon as we were done. This experience re-invigorated my wife's First Nation spirit and she has since plated sweetgrass and sage for some future smudging.

I was surprised that our boys aged 11, 16 and 18 enjoyed themselves as much as they did. They had such a good time with TGSCT and Manitoulin island in general that they are all coming with us on our next trip there in August for the Haweater festival in Little Current.

Visited August 2011