“Very clean, comfortable and wonderful hosts!”
Review of The Buckhorn Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manitoulin Island
The Buckhorn Motel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Manitoulin Island
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at the Buckhorn Motel on Canada Day after a tour of Manitoulin on our Motorcycles. What a lovely little place! Although not fancy, our room was very reasonable and impecably clean. Our room had new laminate floors. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were plush! The line-dried linens and towels were fresh and inviting. Ameal and Cathy were kind and personable hosts and went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. We were offered towels to wipe down our bikes, wood for our kickstands, ice, and delightful homemade muffins with hot coffee in the morning. We will certainly return to Buckhorn in the future. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Candace L

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night while touring the island. I really didn't expect much from a roadside motel, but Ameal and Cathy far exceeded my expectations. The room we had was small but VERY clean. I swear I couldn't find a single speck of dirt anywhere! Both of our hosts were beyond helpful and so friendly. Anything this hotel lacks in amenities, they certainly make up for in service. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2012
9  Thank ramsar2
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Four of us were motorcycling the Georgian Bay loop and we booked into the Buckhorn Motel after reading the reviews and speaking with the owner on the phone. What a truly lovely couple, and the motel was clean, comfortable and very reasonable. Fresh coffee and homemade muffins were waiting for us in the morning, along with towels to wipe our bikes down before we headed off to catch the ferry to Tobermory. Don't overlook this gem of a motel when staying in South Baymouth, and take a minute to chat with your hosts.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Miriam M
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Like meeting strangers and having them invite you into their lives and home after the first hello. We were guests not by accident, after reading some positive reviews were not steered wrong. Firstly this is a motel not a 5 star hotel, places like this can be musty and not be in the most perfect of areas but the owners made our stay shine! Squeaky clean and very large rooms. The TV only had one channel but he had ton's of movies to rent FOR FREE, and complimentary coffee with muffins in the morning. Internet included here! Close enough to the ferry to catch an early morning departure. Thank you Cathy and Ameal!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Carolyn C
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I have stayed at the Buckhorn motel on a number of occasions. Not only are the hosts, Ameal and Cathy the friendliest people you will ever meet, they are very helpful. They have given me tips on sights to see, maps and directions. They also have no problem helping motorists find lodging elsewhere when they are full for the night. The rooms are clean and the coffee and muffins are great! If you are passing through South Baymouth be sure you stop at the Buckhorn, you won't regret it.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank speeddemon_9
Reviewed October 18, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Buckhorn for a week in June. We have never been to the area before and were pleasantly surprised at the warm, comforting atmosphere Cathy and Ameal provided. Our room was very clean, the towels were fresh and the bed was comfortable. I was grateful for the store located in the main office. My wife and I were able to purchase lovely gifts for our family back home and were able to enjoy a piping hot coffee. Finally- the internet access in our room was a way I could email family back home pictures and stories about our great vacation. Thanks again Buckhorn Motel for making our stay memorable. We will definitely be back every summer!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HamiltonRuby
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Room #2: Filthy room, we were afraid to walk barefoot inside - the floor looked nasty!!
Bed pillows smelled like someone else's hair.
Beds squeaked and groaned. Or was it the floor? Both!
Are spiders crawling in the bed considered an amenity?
Washroom: Toilet rocked when we sat on it; was about to fall through the floor, which was dry rotted
Television selection of channels: ONE: what ever channel Ameal was watching. He boasted that he has 175 channels from which to choose. (To their credit, they do have a large video library from which you can choose)
This place needs a dramatic facelift. Should be condemned.
They have an incredible (no fooling) web site. It looked like it was going to be really nice. We were looking forward to staying. The room online "looked" exactly like what we found, but looks and being there are 2 different things! We feel like suckers.
The poor suffering wife looked definitely dumbfounded when we left at 6am!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business