“Very nice!”

Dining options: Reservations
cornwall
“Very nice!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went to the Carbeile for a meal in September. Had a friendly welcome and ordered drinks before going to our table. We shared cheesy garlic bread to start, and the cheese was delicious! I had the steak and mushroom pie for main which was absolutely HUGE. It came with potatoes veg and gravy too, all in huge portions and I couldn't finish (which is unusual for me). The pies take a little longer than anything else on the menu but this is because they are cooked completely fresh, and you could tell by the quality. My boyfriend had the burger (no surprise!) but he said his was gorgeous also, and didn't leave a scrap.

The last time I visited the Carbeile for food was a few years back and it wasn't very good, hence why I haven't returned until now. But under a new chef and with a revived menu, I was pleasantly surprised at how much it has improved and I shall be returning! Maybe next time I'll leave room to try dessert...

• Visited September 2013

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely carvery”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

As a (very long time) vegetarian that's recently turned to eating meat, the concept of the carvery was a new one on me. The Carbeile carvery was a lovely intro to this Sunday lunch tradition.
The staff there were very friendly and welcoming and, as we were early, the food was all very fresh when we went to get it.
There was a choice of three meats - beef, turkey and gammon. I opted for the beef which was very nicely cooked. Probably a bit too cooked for some, maybe, but I am a bit squeamish about red bits so it was perfect for me. (My bloke, a confirmed carnivore, confirmed it WAS very good) The roast potatoes were perfectly crispy on the outside, while remaining fluffy inside and there was a huge choice of vegetables (including cauliflower cheese, one of my favourites) - all of which were beautifully cooked, retaining a degree of crunch, rather than being soggy. The Yorkshire puddings were good, but being a Yorkshire lass I *have* had better, but I think this is just a 'patriotic' thing. ;-)
I was really disappointed that i had no space for a dessert, but next time... Next time I will train harder and the dessert WILL be mine.

Front of house staff were all very well presented, friendly and professional, but not to the point of being stuffy.

I am quite certain we will be back to the Carbeile again, it was delicious.

(Also, I often eat alone so notice this kind of thing - I don't think a lone female diner would feel uncomfortable eating here.)

• Visited September 2013
West Wickham
“4 star plus for quality of food but decor lets it down.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here for three nights recently. The food on offer in the evening was amazing value for money. There was a good range of dishes on the menu as well as extras on the special's board. Over the three days we had 5 different mains off the menu (including the steak deal mentioned in becsliam's review). Each of the dishes we chose were cooked beautifully, the food was plentiful and was great value for money, in fact in the case of the steak we wondered if they were making any profit at all. Personally we found the owners friendly and helpful, we didn't feel hurried or pushed into having more drinks or a dessert, which we liked, however perhaps this didn't make sense from a business point of view!. The décor, it is dated but I would guess they don't make enough profit to do much about it. They seem to be trying hard to get customers but when we visited there were very few other diners, despite the fact that the owners had organised events for two of the nights (country singers and a quiz night). I felt for them they deserve more customers but maybe need some help to identify and then attract their target market.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Sherham
Kathy B, Manager at Carbeile Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for your review, I'm pleased you enjoyed the food here.
The quiz night was particularly quiet as it was a bank holiday week and many off our teams were away, it is also the annual closure of HMS Raleigh for two weeks.
Cornwall England
“Could be a nice pub”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

From the moment you enter this pub unless you are a local, you know you are in for a long wait to be served.
There is no acknowledgement from the staff that you are waiting to be served and a older chap behind the bar served the locals who had arrived after us even though it was obvious we were there first.
Having said that the younger bar staff did get around to serving us after a long wait (the pub wasn't even busy.
My advice ....get rid of the old boy behind the bar VERY RUDE MAN train up the staff AND IT COULD BE A DECENT PUB.

5 Thank Michael L
Kathy B, Owner at Carbeile Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
We appreciate all feedback, although we don't always agree with it.

It is never our intention to serve people out of turn, local or otherwise and welcome all visitors to the Carbeile Inn.

Unfortunately as we are unaware of the specific incident to which you refer we are unable to comment further.
cornwall
“Nice Food shame the tables weren't cleared”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Carbeile Inn has been very up and down over the past few years with lots of new landlords. Unfortunately run by St Austell brewery so the drinks are always going to be expensive, which is a real shame. We decided to give it yet another go as the food at the Carbeile has been very unpredictable over the years. As the pub was taken over earlier in the year we decided to give it another try. We went there on Monday evening for the 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £20. The food was very good the deal made it exceptional value for money. On looking at the menu there was a good variety and the food coming out all looked very good.
The downside with the evening was that the dining area really lacks atmosphere, bit of music would have been nice. It could also do with freshening up, looked a bit tired. Also tables hadn't been cleared from previous diners and after finishing our meal the staff didn't seem to notice as the dirty plates remained on the table after we had paid our bill.
Overall enjoyable meal but maybe the staff could do with some charisma and be more aware of what is happening around them and make the place feel welcoming and inviting.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank becksliam
Kathy B, Manager at Carbeile Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for you review, its always good to hear the food was good ,especially as I was the duty chef on Monday, I'm very sorry that's dishes had been left on your table when you left, I am looking into why they were not cleared when you were at your table. We have recently painted the walls of the restaurant from the dirty green they previously were, and are gradually painting the rest of the pub unfortunately due to high rent and excessive business rate it isn't possible to do it all at once.
Kathy