“Awesome Place...”

YHA Lizard Point
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Awesome Place...”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We wanted somewhere different to stay whilst exploring the coast around the Lizard. Being a fussy sort and a family of 4 we booked a family room. In advance of our stay I emailed the hostel to see if we could be allocated a sea view and I was pleasantly surprised when it was confirmed we had been given a family room on the first floor overlooking Lizard Point... Not disappointed at all and really was a room with a view! Clean in all areas and with really friendly staff.
Well appointed spotless kitchen with lots of space.
The lounge was equally spotless and cosy with local information and board games etc.
This hostel is very well refurbished but remember it still maintains many of the original features, including wooden joists and so you do hear your neighbours! That said book, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Room 2 - fantastic view and sleeps up to 5.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We decided on a short notice break cos "'er indoors" has been working too hard these last couple of months.
A Rapid Response Nurse with NHS she needed a break, so I called YHA and booked Lizard Point... because it was so far from anywhere, situated at the southern most point in the UK and without wi-fi or mobile signal..... talk about "Away from it all" Self catering and silent! Only the breakers to listen to at night.
We sat in our room and listened to the waves and watched the sweep of the Lizard light which is behind the Hostel by about 100 yards. we both fell asleep in our chairs holding hands....... peace and love. we have booked again in March when it will be our anniversary.
Run by volunteer management, it was a great night, before moving on to Treyarnon Bay, for our 2nd night.
Brilliant is all I can say... but we really enjoyed it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
milfordplaza
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Great value accommodation, with very friendly staff and
possibly one of the very best sea views anywhere in the World.
Nice, peaceful and relaxing.
Also, one of the very best Cafe/restaurants only a few mins walk away
at the Polpeor Cafe. Great for evening meals while watching the sun set,
and fantastic food, at realistic prices.
All contributed to a really great value weekend on the Lizard.
( Warning - The Beds were a little short and uncomfortable for tall visitors.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank milfordplaza
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Walking the Coast Path I just had to stay here, it's even further south (just) than the lighthouse next door. I was lucky enough to have a male dormitory of four beds to myself. The dorm was fine, the shower was OK except I managed to shut the lighting cord in the door and struggled to re-open it - marks on the door frame suggested that this had happened before. No breakfast was a bit of a pain but there is a large catering kitchen if you bring your own food or get up early and walk to the pub in Cadgwith which is what I did (they stop serving at 09:30, though, and if there's a group of you, book ahead).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hostel is in a fabulous location, is a great building and is very well-looked after. Our room was a reasonable size (five bunks for 2 adults and 2 kids) with the best view I've ever had from any hotel in the world and exceptionally clean. The kitchen is well-equipped and also spotless.
The only two things that were a drawback for us was that it was really quiet - no other families for the first two days of our three night stay and most people went to bed early - and the volunteer who was looking after the place seemed to find the guests a bit of an inconvenience.
I like YHA hostels and this is probably one of the best, but I worry that YHA is losing its core purpose. There was no encouragement to socialise and no activities (like there is in French hostels). But, for all that, you really could not fault the view or the standard of accommodation so if you like a quiet getaway it is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Most rooms are sea view but may be worth asking for this before you book. Rooms at the back suffer f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Even if I am used to the hostel, I have to say that this one was amazing. very big kitchen available (no breakfast service) and clean as well. I found bedroom very comfy with sea view included. I did really like this place as absolutely in the dark outside so that you can see the lighthouse light so impressive and fascinating. price perfect too....please remember your hairdrier if you like as here is a bit expensive (2pounds for hiring!)

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 74_Isy_74
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was my first experience of a YHA hostel and it was a pleasant surprise. Good comfortable accommodation and a well equipped kitchen. The weather was good so we had wonderful views by day and the stars at night! Also the lighthouse light sweeping across the sky. I don't know how I would get there without a car, I was given a lift from Truro, but it's worth a trip for the walking and the location. The Witchball Pub and restaurant is nearby - very good food and beer. Also recommend Anne's Pasties.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sylvia419
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lizard
Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant
#10 of 21 in St Ives
YHA Coverack
YHA Coverack
#2 of 2 in Coverack

Been to YHA Lizard Point? Share your experiences!