My partner and I were probably spoilt on our 'West Country Tour' by the previous hotel where nothing was too much trouble. In the light of this, we were surprised at the tone of the welcome on arrival. Our booking was eventually verbally confirmed and we were told our room number (27). This turned out to be tiny for a double, barely sufficient room to walk between the bed and the wardrobe. The lift was out of order for passengers however we could use it to deliver our luggage to the second floor.
Although the room was recently refurbished, even with it's lack of space, we felt it lacked something in the way of warmth/ambience, particularly being north facing overlooking the static caravan at the back of the hotel.
The hotel was well situated for the walking holiday which we had planned and we found that we were generally able to eat early in the evenings, enjoying the view over the bay. The staff were generally helpful and polite however the owners always appeared to be extremely busy and not as personable as some of the privately owned hotels which we have enjoyed in the past.
Our room was clean and the shower room sufficient for our needs. I found that I could not sleep particularly well due to the noise levels in the hotel, particularly the loud closing of fire doors on the stair cases and people walking past the room at all odd hours. The local lighthouse fog horn over 24 hours did not help with the sleep either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are situated in a spectacular location at the Lizard in Cornwall. A lovely sandy cove nestles beneath the Hotel, and the Cornish Coast Path runs through the gardens and cliff lands. A place in which to walk, to eat and drink well and to set aside the cares of the world. Unspoilt scenery, outstanding cuisine (AA Rosette and RAC Dining Award) and a healthy lifestyle, we are also home to Britain's most southerly webcam. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Housel Bay Hotel And Restaurant
- Housel Bay The Lizard
- Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant Lizard, Cornwall