“Lovely location, shame about the room”

Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lizard
Hampshire
“Lovely location, shame about the room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

My partner and I were probably spoilt on our 'West Country Tour' by the previous hotel where nothing was too much trouble. In the light of this, we were surprised at the tone of the welcome on arrival. Our booking was eventually verbally confirmed and we were told our room number (27). This turned out to be tiny for a double, barely sufficient room to walk between the bed and the wardrobe. The lift was out of order for passengers however we could use it to deliver our luggage to the second floor.

Although the room was recently refurbished, even with it's lack of space, we felt it lacked something in the way of warmth/ambience, particularly being north facing overlooking the static caravan at the back of the hotel.

The hotel was well situated for the walking holiday which we had planned and we found that we were generally able to eat early in the evenings, enjoying the view over the bay. The staff were generally helpful and polite however the owners always appeared to be extremely busy and not as personable as some of the privately owned hotels which we have enjoyed in the past.

Our room was clean and the shower room sufficient for our needs. I found that I could not sleep particularly well due to the noise levels in the hotel, particularly the loud closing of fire doors on the stair cases and people walking past the room at all odd hours. The local lighthouse fog horn over 24 hours did not help with the sleep either.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

Housel Bay offered to us an outstanding family holiday. The cheerful friendly staff could not have been more helpful and supportive in all our needs and requirements. The food is truly outstanding; congratulations to the chief and her team. As foodies we expect the very highest of standards and we were not disappointed whether they be fish or meat dishes. It is always good to taste local incredients; the lobster straight out of the bay was a wonderful meal. As for the rooms, they were well furnished, spacious and always spotlessly clean. And the view; truly spellbinding. We shall be back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Hertfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

I booked an exec room with sea view for my first wedding anniversary. Upon arrival after a 7 hour drive, one of the employees told me that the owner had moved my booking to the following day and he told the owner I would not be happy. He then took me up to a twin room the size of a cupboard overlooking the car park with no explanation that this was not the room I booked! The owner returned after 2 hours and claimed it was a computer glitch, then let slip that the room I booked had been subsequently booked for 6 nights. Do the maths! He did not offer a rebait or an apology. I did not have the booking confirmation so I started to doubt myself until I returned to work the following Monday and realized that I was right all along. Beware! I did not take up the offer of the twin room and had to drive another hour to find another hotel. This completely spoilt my weekend.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
11 Thank isaacandshab
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

only stayed one night but wish it could have been longer. Room was small but well equiped and recently refurbished - bathroom was spotless and almost new. view was excellent (room 22, at the front in the middle). The restaurant was excellent with superb quality of food and friendly service. wine list is good and reasonably priced. the view from the back of the hotel is across houses and probabaly not to be recommended.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

Lovely clean sea view room, very attentive owners and friendly staff with great chef and bar. Highly recommended for secluded quiet lazy break.

Surrey, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I were really disappointed by the experience staying here. It was mainly down to ther service - we felt they really didn't care about whether we had a good stay or not. This is the first time I've ever written a review, but really felt I ought to share what I found there.

In line with other travellers' reviews the room was small for £100 and the bathroom was rather outdated, however it was clean enough. Overall I'd say the room was acceptable but not great value for £100.

Where we were really disappointed was the bizarre service and restaurant booking and eating system - completely not what I expect from a hotel. When I booked I was told over the phone that we could decide on check-in whether we preferred to eat in the bar or restaurant, as the menus changed so we could decide based on what was being served that day. We arrived at 4pm so plenty of time for this.

However, when we were reading the menus to decide, the maitre d' (I think the wife of the owner) told us straight off (without us even asking, we were still reading the menu at thids point) that whichever one we picked there were no window tables left and that we should have booked earlier! Then when we said ok we don't mind not having a window table we said we'd like to eat at 7pm and she said no, they were fully booked until 8.30pm with "hotel guests". I was tempted to point out that we also were hotel guests!

Normally this wouldn't be an issue for us to eat later, but we had a very early start the next morning which I explained to her and asked if we could eat right at the start of service at 6pm to which she also just said no. I said we really needed to get to bed by about 9 (we were up at 4.30am the next day and my crazy husband was running 44 miles for charity!) and asked what other options we could have. Maybe just sandwiches in our room, or was there a pub nearby we could eat at? She just said no everytime and didn't even try to help us, as if we were being really cheeky trying to eat a meal early!

I was really upset at this, not so much for having to eat later, but because she was so rude and unhelpful. My husband suggested we go out for a short drive to enjoy the local area and relax, so we drove less than 5 minutes down the road to the village at Lizard Point and there found a lovely local pub and a great clifftop cafe serving excellent local food at very reasonable prices! We had a lovely meal there, no pretensions just really friendly staff and tasty meals. Would highly recommend it for those staying in the area. I think it was called the most Southerly Cafe. I'm sure the hotel knew about these places as its such a small town, but was disappointed they didn't try to help us.

When I have been in a similar situation in other hotels and they were unable to fit us into their restaurant, the norm was to recommend another place locally and book you a table there so as not to spoil the experience of staying in the hotel. i was sad they didn't do this.

Breakfast the next morning was fine. Again a bizarre table booking system: I'm used to a first come first served set-up where you walk into the breakfast room and pick your table. In this one each room had a table assigned. This meant that even though when I arrived all 9 window tables were empty, I had to sit behind a pillar. When I left, 1 of the 9 window tables was taken. What a waste of the sea view! And its still a mystery to me how people even get allocated the best tables....

The saving grace of the Housel Bay is Alfred the owner on reception. A lovely chap, very friendly and welcoming.

So in conclusion, the views are lovely, the building is interesting and attractive, the gardens and parking are great too. The rooms are adequate and the service is just odd and at times upsetting for me. It feels like a very antiquated guest house, the type you would go to for the same week every year and book your restaurant table 6 weeks in advance. Not in my view well suited to a weekend traveller or to younger couples (my husband and I are under 30, the average age there was about 55)

3 Thank LK1000Surrey_UK
Maidstone, Kent, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

Food - 10/10
Views - 10/10
Peacefulness! - 8/10 (depends on fog horn at lighthouse!)
Service - 9/10 - Good, but felt it could be slightly better
Decor - 7-8/10 - This has been updated, and is certainly nice and clean, but the odd thing here and there is a bit dated!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lizard
Mullion Cove Hotel
The Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coverack
Tregenna Castle Resort
Premier Inn Helston Hotel

Been to Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!