“Location is everything”

Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lizard
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I saw the hotel a couple of years back when walking the south west coastal path. If you like the sea, and wonderful cliffs and rocks and beaches, this is perfect. The setting is wonderful and local walking couldn't be better.
The hotel itself is also full of character. A welcome change from indifferent chains. Service was discreet and good, and customers varied. The rooms could do with facelift and the bed wasn't very comfortable, but the place is lovely. Sleeps better if you can keep the light from the lighthouse out( and watch out for the foghorn!)

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frances M

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel must have one of the best locations on the Cornish coast - the views are just stunning. We haven't stayed at the Housel Bay but we have eaten here on 2 occasions and both times the food was wonderful. I tried scallops for the first time and they were perfect, beautifully presented and delicious. Would definitely eat there again.

More recently, we called in at the hotel for a welcome drink after a very steep walk along the coast path, down to Housel Beach (in itself, well worth a visit but it is really, really steep down and back up again and you have to clamber across rocks to reach the sand at the bottom!) It was a Sunday lunchtime and we found a table outside, on a beautiful sunny day. The owner of the hotel offered us a menu, however we didn't really want a main meal. She said we could order one of the starters if we liked and they would adjust the cost (the options were 2 or 3 courses for a set price). I thought this was a very nice thought. In the end, we didn't eat but her friendly attitude was a real plus point.
Do visit the Housel Bay, you will love it, whatever the weather!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We've just been to Housel bay for a cream tea, and here are my thoughts on the hotel as a non resident.

The view stunning, the cream tea tasty, very nice scones but not a lot of detail to presentation. The hotel is a very dated and with a face lift it could be stunning. Mum had a baileys Latte and she said it was lovey. A big negative was the price of a black current and soda that my 15 year old son order (£2.50 for half a pint!!!!) and half a diet coke my niece ordered (half a pint £2.75) .

I can't say I'd hurry back, I prefer the Polurrian up the road.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank babydixon
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We chose this hotel for lunch due to its location. A fabulous spot with incredible views.
My first choice lunch wasn't available (crab cakes) so I settled for moules mariniere, which were lovely. The price of the food unfortunately didn't reflect its surroundings. The restaurant was quite shabby, and very much needs a facelift. Whereas the menu was quite pricey.
However the outdoor terrace area was lovely, just a little too windy for us to sit out on the day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank keentraveller_8
Alfred M, Owner at Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Firstly let me apologise that your experience at the Housel Bay Hotel was not satisfactory. I would like to say that the majority of our guests remark on how good our prices are for an AA Rosette Awarded Restaurant, and that we are in fact cheaper than most of our competitor Hotels, but I do apologise if you found our prices a little steep and they will be remaining the same. I was quite shocked to hear our beautiful victorian restaurant being described as "shabby" and "in need of a facelift", I understand that after nearly 120 years of service, and the fact that we have retained most original features, that you may find some aspects of the Hotel slightly dated, but I think its really a case of not being able to appreciate the history behind it - I believe the premier inn's are quite modern, perhaps a better alternative for your next stay? Again I apologise that it was too windy for you to sit out on our glorious terrace - I'm afraid I have no control over the weather.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We came across the Housel Hotel whilst out on a Coastal Walk to Lizard, after stopping for a coffee we decided to make a dinner reservation. The owner and staff of this hotel make you feel right at home, none of the hospitality is forced or false, genuinely lovely people. The food is a amazing, this is a real find because the presentation and quality is out of this world! I had the Spiced Pork Belly to start which was so Tender and perfectly cooked, to follow I had the Sea Bass. My son had the 1/2 Lobster which was served with a Garlic Butter, Salad and New Potatoes. My Wife had the Hake as a main which was served with a Bean Cassoulet. We were all blown away with the food, so decided to round the experience off with a dessert! And we were not disappointed. Some of the reviews have stated that this Hotel is tired around the edges, well I disagree it is better described as being a Traditional English Hotel with Beutiful Views and loads of character. From a dining experience it is great value and would probably cost a considerable amount more if located anywhere else. Please do not miss the Housel Hotel when in the area!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jam1er
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We've been on a long trip along the whole southcoast of England. We've stayed overnight at seven different places - hotels and B&B's. We also stayed at this hotel. Why have we chosen it? Partly because of the good rating in the travelguide and partly because of the overwhelming view over the sea. Unfortunately, we've been terribly disappointed: The room was very small, hardly any space to move around, although we paid 135.00 English pounds per night. The bathroom can't be called a bathroom: old, shabby, no amenities at all. High time to invest some money to instal a new bathroom! The owner takes alot of money from his customers but does not offer the service and the luxory he's supposed to give. The dinner was ok but again overpriced. The next scandal was the breakfast. Being a fine day, we wanted to sit outside overlooking the bay. Our wish was denied by the manageress without any good reason. Instead of that we had to sit at the table in front of the kitchen, with two doors banging all the time and overstressed waiters rushing by. The tea was weak; marmalade, jam, butter rationed; the toast burned to a cinder (that is not exaggerated); the waiters never came to our table to wait on us. The worst breakfast we've had on our 12-day tour through England but we've paid the price for the wonderful view. What a shame owners! Not enough of the negative impressions of this hotel: the manager wanted to charge us 15 English Pounds for paying with the Golden Visa Card. This is unbelievable! We are sure that this practice is illegal, we will check it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank 823mike
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stunning views and a building that could be such a delight.
We visited for a sunday roast which was not that great starters average, roast potatoes were like jackets and hard in the middle (you only got one) and the staff were trying to be pleasent but they were all polish and this does come over in customer service. No sign of any management and the service was increadable slow in a stifeling hot room. An Epos system would have made things 100 times better fir the staff and would have covered up the problems with our had written bills that took half an hour to arrive.
Management need in invest some money here as this place could be amazing so much that it would be worth travelling miles and miles for food with that view.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank padstowsurfer
Alfred M, Manager at Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Firstly let me apologise for your less than satisfactory visit to the Housel Bay. It was with regret to hear that your food was not up to standard, our Sunday Roast is very highly acclaimed (also AA Rosette Awarded) at the Housel Bay and we wont tolerate unsatisfied customers. We have spoken to the chefs and they have also been shown the comment - I understand we all make mistakes at times but when customers are paying good money for their meals nothing should be less than perfect. With regards to our staff, we do employ Polish girls, but our girls work very hard and up until now our customers have been very satisfied with the level of customer service provided - again, I apologise that in your experience, this was not the case, we made the girls aware of this incident and have stressed that excellent customer service must be maintained at all times. Again, I do apologise for the heat however we are in the Summer season and sometimes it will be hot, we are certainly not complaining about the weather but understand some people may! As for your comment about the EPOS system, I understand that this is the modern way of doing things (and perhaps a lot easier), however the Hotel is nearly 120 years old and we do try to stick to traditional methods as much as we can. We do hope that you visit us again and hopefully we can redeem your bad experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lizard
Mullion Cove Hotel
#10 of 20 in St Ives
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!