“Not one of Parkdeans best”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Minver
Parkdean - St Minver Holiday Park
Reviewed April 4, 2014

On arrival at the site, I was extremely disappointed as the drive down the lane to reception was rather tatty to say the least. Not very well landscaped or looked after. Ivy seems to have taken over the flora and not a pleasant sight to see.
As for the accommodation, we were given a chalet which on first appearance didn't look that good, BUT, when entering, we couldn't believe at how roomy, clean and comfortable it was.
Check in was quick and easy, and the staff were very friendly.
In the bar, the local brew Sharps Doombar is well worth a sample.

Although not the prettiest Parkdean Site, it will be ideal for exploring the North Cornish coast.
I may have gone on a 'bad day', so please don't let my review put you off, especially if you are planning to go out all day and use the site as just a place to put your head, for which it will be ideal.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CPv2

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here October half term for 4 nights (party of 6 including 3 grandparents and 9 year old daughter) plus family dog. Prompt check in from friendly reception staff and made our way to Polzeath 3 bed lodge in private Glade area. Entered to find obviously privately owned "Cosy Nook" lodge. Absolutely beautiful and undoubtedly the best lodge we have ever stayed in. Extremely large and spacious, leather sofas, huge kitchen with every utensil you could possibly imagine, large plasma tv in lounge plus tv / dvd in every bedroom with very large ensuite master bedroom. Utility room with washer drier (used by wife to make life easier on arrival home), also great for wiping feet and muddy paws after walks and runs on the wet cornish beaches in October. Huge outside decking area including barbeque which would be wonderful on a warm summer evening. Loads of parking space for our two cars.
Quite a small site compared to other Parkdean / Haven / Park Resorts we have stayed but very well laid out. Daughter enjoyed the pool and amusements. Went in clubhouse 2 nights during our stay. Entertainment seemed pretty good although struggled to get seats on Halloween night even though we arrived quite early on. Didnt eat there so cannot comment on food.
Perfect location for our trips to Newquay, Tintagel, Cider Farm, Padstow, and the beaches of Rock and Polzeath (although did have trouble parking at the beaches as this time of year is obviously very popular with local surfers).
Overall really enjoyed our stay at St Minver and it was the lodge which really made it for us all and would certainly return.

Room Tip: Definitely book a lodge if you can. It is well worth the extra cost and take a torch if you are walk...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank NEIL44_13
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We stay at this park regularly, so we were very upset with our stay over the October half term. The staff seemed to struggle coping with a full park. Everything seemed badly organised and below standard. Our usual caravan was booked so we went for a different one, ended up right near the crazy golf and manor house. Other guests and noise from the club kept the children up all evening. The caravan itself was one of the "new" models but was a state. It lacked equipment, was dirty and in need of a lot of attention. The park is in a great location and we love the local area, however, we won't be staying again. The staff failed to adequately acknowledge out disappointment and complaints upon departure leaving us feeling very upset. Such a shame as we have stayed at least twice a year for the last five years and had hoped to try out the Xmas package this year.

Stayed: October 2013
11  Thank GemilyW
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My family and I had a half term break here. We were in a static van (number 33), which was a standard van in a good location for the park, main activity area, etc.

Check in was quick and painless and we were in the caravan within 5-10 minutes of arriving.

As above, the van was in decent condition, I would say it must have been in the order of 3-5 years old,but was more than ample for me and the family.

We did like the park for the children and made use of the crazy golf which was nice not to have to pay for. Big organisations have a habit of charging for everything so this made a welcome change.

We did use the swimming pool, which was a bit of a faff with passes and bands considering there was pretty much no one in there. That said it was warm, clean and very pleasant for us. I did like the fact you had to take shoes off before entering the changing area which ensured it was kept very clean.

The bar and onsite shop were running low on choice for anything you wanted, again probably due to the time of year.

Evening entertainment was at the right level for my 5 year old and despite there not being too many people about, Kerri (entertainment manager) did a good job of getting everyone engaged.

I would recommend and would return, but perhaps in the summer months as it did feel the general ambience of the staff was one of "winding down for the end of season".

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Lee G
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I don’t know what it is with parkdean caravans and mold in Cornwall. This is the second time I have stayed at a parkdean caravan park in Cornwall on a different site from the first and the second caravan with mold. The mold was in one of the wardrobes of the main bedroom and so couldn’t be used and in the shower cubical, you would have to be blind not to be able to see it. There was more by the door in the main part of the caravan. The rest of the caravan was fairly clean and the site was ok. We were far from the entertainment centre which was great for us. Didn’t use any of the parks facilities so can’t comment on them. Won’t be using any parkdean caravan sites in Cornwall in the future in fact the only parkdean caravan park I will use is in Nairn Scotland as I have never had any issues with anything there. It is how caravans should be, clean and mold free. Even the bed linen had a hole in it. Glad I didn’t pay full price for the stay as it was a sun holiday. Not much else to say apart from terrible.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Darren1066
Reviewed October 15, 2013

After a long day travelling then exploring Daymer Bay/Rock, checking in with efficient and friendly Reception staff we swiftly unloaded, unpacked and went to relax in bar.

Chalet 26 (Orchard Rise) had smelt very 'doggy' when we arrived but we assumed that opening the windows and putting the heating on would sort it out. (It didn't. We actually realised the next day that the lounge carpet STANK - there was no amount of febreze, fresh air or hoovering that would have made it smell better).

We returned to chalet later (its poor state became apparent over the next day or so). The skirting boards were dirty, had mould spots above and dog fur in many places. The kitchen cupboards smelt damp. The ceiling had mould patches, the window rubbers were mouldy and dirty, the saucepans had dog hairs in lids, the tile splashback by cooker was greasy, the toilet door had long established streaks and brown marks, the toilet floor was wet at back and grungy at front. Even the knob on the toaster and microwave had dust on it.

By now it was getting late. Reception was closed, we were tired and hungry. As I always clean surfaces, handles, pots, crockery, cutlery etc. anyway before I use ANYTHING wherever I go, I sprayed everything very liberally with 99.99% disinfectant spray and washed everything that could be washed in/with boiling soapy water.

Thankfully, the 2 single duvets were freshly washed so I slept on them between 2 of my own fleeces (PD had assumed we were a couple so made up the double bed). My friend slept in the double which had the worst mould at skirting board level and a broken wardrobe door. There were plenty of coat hangers though!

Next day we went straight to the pool for swim and sauna. 9 to 10 am is adults only. Staff member was charming and the pool, sauna and changing rooms were clean and spacious. We enjoyed the experience so much we decided to shower daily after morning swim and just get on with enjoying our stay as best we could.

The park itself was clean but jaded as one would expect at end of season. The shop was open all day but for lunchtime and the lady in the store was friendly and chatty. It's a lovely wooded quiet park.

The park is perfectly located for Daymer Bay private car park about 3 miles away. It's a quid an hour, 2 for 2 or 3 for all day. It's situated between Rock to the left via sand or dunes (opposite is Padstow via ferry) and Polzeath to the right (via SW coast path). Endonoc Church (where John Betjamin is buried) is a stones throw from Daymer Bay nestled in the golf course. There's a Texaco petrol station, butchers, bakers, minimart en route.

Did we complain to staff at time of stay? No. Why? well nothing could have been done to improve the state of the chalet (especially the stinking lounge carpet) and frankly we did not want to go through the hassle of moving or disruption. I'd already scrubbed the place, it was sanitary enough and we ate in the kitchen at the table with windows open and heaters on. We only had 4 nights and 3 days. I put covers on the settee, we kept our slippers on and washed our hands often.

In March 2011 I stayed in chalet 24 and although the chalet was old, it was clean and perfectly acceptable as a dog friendly unit. I must assume therefore the shutdown of the site in winter allows for refurbishment and deep cleaning.

The manager courtesy called me the day after I arrived home. He had read my comments on the feedback form. He was very polite and told me the chalet would be made 'unavailable' from yesterday so he could inspect and address the issues I raised. I suggested he walk in, look up, look down, sit down on the settee and have a good sniff!

I have rated this SPECIFIC chalet as 'poor' because I would not have stayed in it for a second if I had a child or elderly person in my party. Not with those mouldy spores NO!

Will I return to Parkdean St.Minver? YES YES YES - at the beginning of the season I will.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Just_Me_and_my_JRT
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have just returned from a Mon-Fri stay at the Parkdean St Minver Holiday Park.

The location is lovely - lots of woodland and a choice of static caravans and lodges. We stayed in no. 26 Church View - this was 6 berth accommodation with central heating and I had booked one with heating due to us staying during October (and the temperatures falling somewhat).

We have stayed with Parkdean (at Looe Bay) on a previous four occasions however we just fancied trying out another Cornish location.

Check-in was really quick and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

It was quite close to the end of the season, indeed only private owners use the park after the end of October. As it was near to the end of the season I wonder if that is why our accommodation was a little 'tired'.......

The living room/kitchen areas were clean enough however there were lots of marks/scrapes on the walls and edges of doors throughout. There was loads of seating available (including dining facilities) plus a gas fire and tv + dvd player. In the kitchen the usual utensils were provided - pots, pans, bowls etc and the oven/hob were both really clean.

We only really used the main bedroom for sleeping (as there was just the two of us staying) and kept the second 'twin' bedroom for storing the suitcase/clothing etc. The main bedroom included a double bed a shelf either side - you could just about walk around the bed. In addition there was a double wardrobe space plus a mirror, dressing table area (with drawers). We never used the dressing table storage as one of the drawers contained a hairdryer (which was useful) however behind the two doors there were no shelves so I didn't really want to put clothing directly onto the floor.

The windows throughout didn't really close too tightly so draft is apparent, therefore the heating was really useful (and it really does heat up throughout the accommodation). What we thought was a real shame was that the central heating is ducted through vents underneath the wardrobes in the bedroom and underneath the kitchen units in the kitchen/lounge area. This was all fine in the kitchen however the units in the bedroom were clearly not designed to have heat spouting from underneath, consequently the door fronts were melting/peeling away, thus resulting in a very shabby appearance. The bathroom was really cold as there was no heating in there, plus the sink/shower area looked quite mouldy in parts - we think it could have just been damp due to the cold.

Sleepwise, well these caravan walls aren't too thick so you need to be a deep sleeper to go right through the night, plus we think there was a rookery quite close as the birds are quite noisy.

On site we didn't go up to the restaurant or entertainment area as there was only the two of us staying. The shop was quite well stocked however we bought part-baked rolls which were three weeks out of date (we didn't know until we returned home) - the lady behind the counter was incredibly friendly. The swimming pool was nice and clean (make sure you take your 'pass' and £1 for the lockers) and the laundrette was useful (we dried off our towels in the driers as they didn't dry in the accommodation).

There is a VERY nice local pub (Fourways Inn) only a short walk away through the gate at the top of the park (the gate closes at 11pm) - we ate there twice.

Location wise - the park has easy road links to Wadebridge, Rock and Port Isaac (where Doc Martin is filmed). There are also many walks available on public footpaths etc.

It was of course very quiet during our stay (7-11 October) - there weren't many guests and hardly any children - the peace and quiet was absolute bliss!

Check-out was done in a matter of seconds and we were on our way.

To be fair we did receive two phone calls prior to our trip asking if we would like to upgrade to accommodation with better facilities (ie washing machine, dishwasher etc). However given that we were only staying for four nights and there was only two of us we couldn't see the point (I think it would have been £50-60 extra).

Would we stay there again? Possibly, although we would expect cleaner accommodation.

Despite everything we did have a lovely trip and visited lots of places so it was nice to experience a different part of Cornwall.

Room Tip: You definitely need to spend more to guarantee decent accommodation......
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hendra Holiday Park
#2 of 79 in Newquay
Widemouth Bay Caravan Park
Trelawne Manor Holiday Park

Been to Parkdean - St Minver Holiday Park? Share your experiences!