“Friendly and experienced dive centre”
Review of Porthkerris Divers

Porthkerris Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Porthkerris Divers is a family run, family friendly, beach front dive centre. Onsite facilities include a dive shop, compressor room, kit store, camping, electric hookups, self catering accommodation, toilets, showers,lecture room etc. We offer hardboat diving, basking shark boat trips and have a beautiful shore dive here on site. Most of the wonderful dive sites are only a 10 minute boat ride away. We do both BSAC and PADI courses from beginner upwards, as well as guided dives. We have a beach cafe whichserves excellent homemade cakes, meals, breakfasts etc. Porthkerris is also great for kayaking, walking, swimming, fishing, sunbathing and relaxing......
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Spent 3 days diving at Porthkerris. One day shore diving and two days diving from their boat Kitten. Weather, viz and tides were not perfect but the staff at the dive centre were. Friendly, humorous and knowledgeable. Great fills of 300Bar Nitrox, no fuss minor servicing, skipper always found the right site and found us upon surfacing in the thickest of fog and, of course . . . . . . great snacks and oh that hot chocolate tastes so nice after a dive. Wonderful extended British diving weekend.

Matthew B, Front Office Manager at Porthkerris Divers, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It's always good to hear feedback. We're pleased to hear that you had a great weekend with us and we are looking forward to having you and LSD back again soon. It was a real pleasure.

All reviews
"big fish"
"drying area"
"dive course"

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I am a biased reviewer (But not affiliated in any way to the site) in that I have been travelling a 500 mile round trip here for about 12 years and still love it.
If you like UK Diving this is a must. The shore dive is just great. I have dived it literally 150 times and i still love it. Take one of the boats out and even better.
I have read the other reviews and can see a few negative comments which I think should be more balanced. This is a dive site which offer some of the best in the country. The Dive site charge frankly a minimal amount to shore dive and to park. I pay £17 to use a quarry to dive as I am often unable to get to the coast. Here it is far less and to see so much more.
1)The road is bumpy so drive with care. I have been here 100's of times and never been stuck or damaged my ordinary car. To fully redo the whole road would mean the site would have to charge a huge amount which them divers would then moan about cost....
2) The toilets and showers are very functional and improved year on year..I think you have to accept this is a dive site in the main.
3) The cafe on the beach is now providing very good food. Only today prior to leaving after a weekend of diving i spoke to (I think Jackie) who runs it saying all the burgers, bacon, sausages etc ate now locally sourced from a butcher and not budget supermarket. The flavour and quality certainly reflect this. I thought she had the pricing just right considering the quality! Long may she remain there!!!
4) The boats are very easy to use and in my experience very well run. I read in one review one was late.... I have in the main found them to run to time and where this has deviated it has been down to divers being late to board or to surface creating the problems. The staff are laid back and helpful without exception!
To some up please do go to this wonderful place and experience the diving. On a good day its difficult to match. This is an unspoilt area and I for one will be returning as often as I can.

Thank you very much for your excellent and detailed review. We're pleased to hear the past 12 years with us has been enjoyable and we hope to have you for another 12 years or more to come! See you soon I'm sure! I will pass on your positive comments to Tracy in the cafe.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was our second visit to Porthkerris divers and it was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful all the way through the booking and planning process. When we arrived on-site we were treated to very professional and friendly service.

The diving itself was amazing as we had two dives from the "Kitten" the first an escorted dive on the wreck of the Volney. The second was another escorted dive in the afternoon to "Vase Rock" which is an amazing pinnacle covered in reef like I have never seen in the UK. Loads of see life and plants were there to see.

Thank you very much for your review. We are always pleased to hear feedback and it's excellent to hear the whole process from booking to diving was professional and friendly. We are very lucky to have such great dive sites on our doorstep and glad you had the chance to experience them again. We hope to have you both back again soon!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We always dive wih Porthkerris each year, it's my annual fix of the delightful Cornish atmosphere and (depending on the weather) great diving and excellent Viz.
We use Celtic cat for a group of 12 and always find Mike an excellent skipper with an outstanding knowledge of the history and geography of the dive sites and surrounding area. Jo and the rest of the team are always friendly and helpful.
It is always a delight to dive here (easterly wind permitting) and we are already looking forward to next year.

1  Thank Spinicus

Thank you for the lovely review! We are lucky to have such experienced skippers with great knowledge of the dive sites. We're already looking forward to having you back again next year.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have been going to Porthkerris for over 10 years now with my partner and diving buddy. On our first visit we were overwhelmed by the quality of the diving and the friendly atmosphere of the centre and it has not diminished with time. We notice improvements to the site each time we visit and the current staff are the best team they have had.
As with any facility, problems do arise but they are always minor due to their preventative maintenance and good managemnent. The owners are quick to find a solution to any problems as soon as they are made or become aware of them. They also do everything possible to ensure their guests have an enjoyable stay from repairing kit to recommending alternative dive sites if the prevailing weather at Porthkerris prevents access to their outstanding shore dive or to offshore wrecks and reefs by one of their excellent boats. It is refreshing to dive with skippers who have actually dived the sites and can tell you from experience what to look for and which part of the wreck or reef will provide the best diving/photo opportunities.
Whilst some contributors have commented on the camp-site amenities, I defy anyone to find a better placed camp-site for diving and at a very modest price. If it is too basic for individual tastes then they also have hook-ups for caravans and trailer tents. There are also self catering apartments which are very Mediteranean in style and extremely clean and comfortable. If cooking on holday is not for you then there is an excellent cafe on site which provides snacks and full meals at very modest prices. All food is home-cooked to a very high standard. Real capuccino is also available which gets my vote.
I can't stress how friendly and welcoming the owners and staff are. They are keen to make everyone's stay special. I mentioned to the owners that 2 friends who also dive at Porthkerris were on a dive boat elsewhere and they were suffering from PTS after a member of their group had sadly died during the trip. When I got back my friends told me they had received a lovely e-mail from Porthkerris wishing them well. Once you dive there you become part of the family rather than just another paying customer.
Well done everyone and thanks for another memorable trip.
Chris & Lee

Thank you so much for this fantastic review. We are all so pleased that you enjoy your visit to us each time and we are very much looking forward to having you back again next year as it's always such a pleasure! See you both soon.