All reviews snooze box shipping containers air con youth hostel bell tent eden project double bed self catering kitchen social area common room service entrance top bunk toilet flush communal space cafe bar cooking facilities wet room
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here for a couple of nights whilst visiting the Eden Project and had a great stay.

We booked on line and received adequate notification about the check in from 5.00 pm and that we needed to bring our own towel. Check in was super easy, we were given a key and shown our room. The snooze box was funky, functional and clean accommodation. We were advised to keep the key away from phones as they tend to wipe the information.

The rooms were compact but we were expecting this. There were only 2 of us sharing but I can imagine it being a bit cosy with more. There is some storage under the bunk beds and inbuilt shelves. There is also a safe. There is air con but it can get quite noisy. The toilet is also quite noisy as it uses suction similar to aeroplane. There was no shelf in the bathroom to put your toiletries and this might have been helpful as the sink is tiny.

We had breakfast on the first day, it was continental and had a good selection. We also ate there in the evening and enjoyed some tasty nachos and pizza. There is also a small bar

The staff were really welcoming and friendly. The Eden project is about 15 mins walk away. I cannot fault the accommodation. The only niggle was that the directions seemed to be incorrect, the YHA is just down the road from the Eden Project and not on site. It is on the opposite side of the road just past the educational hub.

Other things that could be helpful would be a shelf in the bathroom and maybe a chain on the door so that you could open the door a little to let some air in (there are no windows that open) and stay secure.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with YHA (England & Wales)
Pete I, General Manager at YHA Eden Project, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thankyou for such a wonderful review and the 5/5, we do try to make things as easy as possible for our guests, so they know what to expect upon arrival.

We are actually classed as being onsite as we are situated within the Eden Project boundaries, but we are not in the clay pit with biomes etc so I can see how this maybe a bit misleading

I will make sure your comments regarding the cleanliness and staff are passed onto to the relevant departments as it is always nice to hear from guests when we do things right

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Loved staying here, the accomodation was small but cosy! The communal cooking/ lounge area was lovely, clean and the staff were very friendy. Literally 5 minute walk to the main entrance for the Eden project or you could get on a bus that came every 15 minutes or so, perfect for a weekend away to explore the Eden project properly.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Pete I, General Manager at YHA Eden Project, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thankyou for such a wonderful review, Glad you had a great time, come back and visit soon

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff went out of their way to be extra helpful. Everyone was pleasant and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble even when we lost our entry key in the first 10 minutes. Also at breakfast the staff went the extra mile to ensure we had everything we needed. Would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with YHA (England & Wales)

Thankyou for such a positive review, it is always nice to hear when our staff go above and beyond, glad you had a wonderful time

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here for 4 nights in one of the rooms.

It took me a couple of times to read the checkin email.. Check in is 5pm - 10pm only.. I thought this was a mistake as I thought surely there is someone is present all day?!

I also spotted the note about we need our own towels so we stopped at Asda and arrived at 4.50pm (Just in case I had still read that wrong).. After a loud and public check in process where everyone heard peoples sleeping habits we checked in.

Room->
Driving the in the carpark we noticed that the rooms must be tiny as you see 4 doors in a container, on opening the door, the room was ice cold and the two of us could just fit in the floor space. I really did expect more space as really it's a Bed in a bathroom. During our stay I just had to open to door to move around inside

On stepping in with shoes off you could feel the gravel and sand on the floor. Which you could never avoid, it got in the main bed and in shower, you really are never far from this china clay. If we stayed longer I was going to buy a brush and a door matt just to help a little, It really needs some pebbles on the footpaths and door matts so you can feel clean at some point.

The mattress had no mattress and pillows had no protectors on.

The AC unit although very effective, I couldn't get it to ever heat and it seemed to always run icecold (Although reducing the fan speed did help a little). The AC unit is below the pillows and is very loud, it's really unusable at night, there's also no openable windows in the room when there was hot night I found I had to open the door to allow some fresh air in, which is clearly acceptable. During the day gets very hot indeed and you need to stick the AC on straight away.

The shower works well, but the fire alarm system is too powerful for this small space so you really need to wait a good 5 mins after finishing before opening the sliding glass door, and not shower for too long as to make too much steam.

The loo is a big problem. The handle in the glass sliding door is far too large and is positioned in a place that if you are sitting on the loo you can see through right to where the beds pillows are.. Needless to say others in the room can hear, see and smell everything, even for couples this maybe a little too much. We did work out a way of using whilst the other outside of the room.

When it rained outside there was a constant noise of water dripping by the door just cm's from your head.

Public Tent ->
I'm not sure how long this has all been here but it certainly looks like it was built some time ago, has had lots of use with zero maintenance, imagine a festival tent used daily for some years.. It really needs maintenance and good clean and a bit of landscaping.

Breakfast ->
I had expected a cooked english breakfast which sadly isn't provided, which is a tad strange considering they do breakfast baps so are almost there.

Food ->
The menu is small and I'd say kinda adequate, maybe addition of Fries would be good. Nachos was spot on and huge, Pizza though was small and I spotted that most people didn't eat them..Perhaps a little more training needed on how to make these.

Drinks ->
Sadly no local drinks are offered (Other than a cyder), apparently head office are to blame who stopped this, considering there's a brewery nearby and loads of others close by and the eden project clearly support local companies with these offerings. It's a big shame that this isn't offered and apparently removed, it's part of the fun of travelling and it's shocking that these aren't supported. I would strongly recommend these are offered again.

Location ->
Location is excellent for Eden project and visiting cornwall (by car) so this is a huge possitive, although the hostel is what seems within an old carpark and the china clay soil is everywhere making it a messy place to be (I had a wonder up to the camp site and this seems even worse, up a muddy track and a very sloping hill, hardly ideal for a camp site).

Service ->
General service from the staff is excellent, they are young and happy and do clearly try hard to be friendly and helpful. Personally I found the older lady a little too much and a tad bullying to the younger crew, even to me I found her a little like a matradee.

Safety/Securety ->
Considering we had to keep the door open at night due to being unable to use the AC and no opening windows, this meant we really wasn't quite secure at night although this wasn't too much of a concern considering it was really camping anyway. This view changed slightly when there was a wedding party who arrived at 2am on night and was very very loud and even running around everywhere, with no staff present no one was there to ask for restraint. This also leads to the question of what would happen if there was a fire in these units during such time?

Ethical:
I chose to stay here as I really thought they units would be green and ethical inline with the eden project, I expected to really be staying in the garden of the eden project really but it seems that both parties have really turned their backs on each other. I was shocked to be told that it's best to drive down to the car parks, you can walk but it's on the road, there's no shuttle bus connection (at this time). There's no local produce/gifts etc on sale here. You can't buy tickets for the eden project here. AC and no openable windows is appalling really.

Managment feedback ->
Sadly looking at the feedback to comments given by the manager on here I don't expect a detailed response which is a shame, clearly I and others expect more and I think this is an excellent idea but it's been half completed and deserves more. The units need more thought to make then usable and there needs to be a more ethical and aligned approach with the surroundings.

Recommended?
Despite saying all of this, I'd say it's still a good idea, it can still be enjoyable and good value for money and I see that it allows affordable travel. It's a step up from camping indeed, so yes I do recommend. If you are a bit of a snob then you may struggle and maybe best to find a hotel.

(Management please do try to improve, ideally make the rooms larger with a refit, landscape, get friendly with eden project and get in local produce).

Date of stay: September 2019

Thankyou for taking the time to submit your review, feedback is always welcome, even if you have been so underwhelmed with your stay with us, we will look into all the matters raised and address the issues with our property department.

I am very sorry you had such an unpleasant stay with us but due to the temporary nature of the site, we are limited in what we can do, hence why we only have a limited food and drinks offering.

I also appreciate that being located on a car park isnt ideal however we have never professed to be anything other than budget accommodation and there are photos on the website to guide people when booking.

All that being said we do have an amazing team here at YHA Eden Project who work very hard to make sure everybody has a nice time............

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Camped at YHA Eden. Nice area, roomy, clean toilet and shower blocks.
On a slope so not ideal and grass fairly long, ok till it rains, which it did!
Enjoyed ourselves which is the main thing.
Use postcode to find it.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with YHA (England & Wales)

Glad you enjoyed your stay.