“Comfortable and decent, value for money”

Premier Inn St. Austell Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Toronto
“Comfortable and decent, value for money”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My brother, aunt & uncle, and I stayed here for 6 nights in February (last minute trip for my grandmother's funeral) and each of our rooms was typical Premier Inn i.e. clean and comfortable without the frills that you don't always need. I liked the Internet access (too bad it's not completely free of charge like at most hotels in Canada), it allowed me to keep in touch through my iPhone with work colleagues and family back home. The front desk agents were great, friendly and responsive to any questions about the area. Love the Cornish expression "Y'all right?" to mean 'hello'. Will most likely stay again when visiting other family in Cornwall.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Wirral
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Friendly and efficient staff, clean room and excellent breakfasts. Dinner menu had a reasonable choice but the dish I had was dry and unappetising. Wouldn't have this again (Chickenbreast, topped with bacon rashers and cheese and a ready made BBQ sauce (not home cooked). Wouldn't dismiss this diner out of hand and would give them another chance to prove their ability to cook. I may have been the one in a 100 punters with a poor meal, who knows.

In room 11 floorboards were very creaky, perhaps it was an intruder alarm?

It was a rather cold day and for heating one has to rely on the air conditioning unit which was very noisy due to worn fan bearings. Could definitely do with some maintenance. My wife and I put up with the cold in preference to the noise. When we commented on this at checkout, the receptionist informed us that portable heaters had been available at reception.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My wife and I found this an excellent place to stay for a few days. Friendly staff,clean rooms, good food. We booked well in advance and got a good rate. Five Star it is not, but then we did not pay five star prices. If you want a friendly, comfortable budget hotel with good food then this place could not in our opinion be bettered.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Llandeilo, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

5 min from the Eden Project this Premier inn is ideally situated. About 10 min from ST Austell and the charming Charlestown.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This premier Inn has the highest possible standards, the staff, all of them, are fabulous and go the extra mile Every time. No request is too much for them. The rooms food and service are perfect. Go there, you will see what I mean, gteat value for money too. Ken

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, but really does not matter, all rooms are quiet etc
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed at the hotel on a hill for three days in February. The room was sparse with no covered storage space whatsoever, everything is open, pointless unpacking a suitcase very little space to empty it in, lighting was extremely poor apparently Prem Inn are on a mission and are saving the planet? Out for the day returned to find no toilet paper, dispenser has a clear window a clue, so room cleaner can do a visual check, wasted obviously, it's the most basic of checks which was missed why? went to reception, lady disappeared and emerged with a pack of toilet paper and said if I have problems putting it in dispenser give them a shout? TV was very old not a flat screen which seem to be the norm in most modern hotels right now. Initially had issues with no hot water, fill the sink with water and seconds later the water had gone, clearly Prem Inn are not really that serious about the planet after all? informed reception, told manager would get back to me later about water temperature, or the lack of it? Seems that if you are staying more than one night then any attention to detail goes right out of the partially opened window. Two people but just one chair? means that one of you either spend all your time lying on the bed, or perhaps this is yet another planet saving idea where Whitbread Plc/Premier Inn expect guests to sit on the single chair on each other's knee during their stay? We requested additional pillows because they were flat with absolutely no support whatsoever, once again, assured more would be put in room later. Out for day returned to find no pillows? so after some advice and directions I went to nearby Truro and purchased two pillows at Argos. Mentioned this at reception and get this, I was advised "to bring My own" many guests bring their own pillows, how very odd didn't see that "Top Tip" on the St Austell Premeir Inn website? majority of reception staff were absolutely brilliant to be fair, one even advised me where the nearest Argos was to purchase pillows, (Silent Night contoured memory foam 2x 20 odd quid) I have no doubt that they passed the information onto the duty manager (small m) but once again never heard anything from her during our 3 night stay, my question, does she really exist? if she does, then please can I have her job? it was busy but it really shows quite clearly how important it is to respond to guests with an issue or not. Room Cleanliness: Obviously a carpet will collect dust and bits, however they remained on the carpet throughout the duration of our stay which is concerning. Bathroom: Even with all the lights on and like the room it's still a dark place to spend three days, staying with the cleanliness issue or lack of it, on our final morning the shower had been used so it's natural that their was splashes of water on the floor, I walked into the bathroom wearing a light coloured pair of socks across the wettish floor when I returned to the room and lay on the bed, my wife said, the underside of your socks are filthy? as they were clean straight out the case my wife returned to the bathroom, a wet towel was on the floor so she got down and wiped the floor with the wet towel, guess what? yes, yes that area of the floor was a lot cleaner sadly the towel was absolutely filthy dirty, I'm just guessing that bathroom floor had not been cleaned "properly" for a long, long time. Table Table so bad they named it twice. Table Table promote diners/customers can now have free Wi-Fi? so I was looking forward to accessing my emails etc etc during my three night stay, which is why I decided to purchase a Meal Deal each for the duration of our stay. First evening no connecton, asked a member of staff, lots of black spots in here, yeah good reception is near the bar? curiously although I could not access free wi-fi, I did however get continual messages from Prem Inn bomarding me and outlining the wi-fi charges? so basically for me free wi-fi was non existent, but seemed easily available if you actually paid for it. Moving swiftly on and to cut another very long story short getting a hot meal at Table Table is an impossibilty, problem is you mention it and nobody seems to care, I made a mistake with my first meal, mentioned it and food disappeared for about half an hour, when it came back it had shrunk cos it had been nuked, my advice although I did it again is never mention warm food at Table Table. Next morning our first breakfast, a mature waitress greeted us and was all smiles and took our hot breakfast order, waited about 25 minutes and when it arrived the plates were stone cold, so what you have here is hot food served on cold plates which probably hangs around until a waitress has finished taking orders and serving other guests, like I said the lady with the smiling welcome soon changed when I explained that my food was cold, she said nothing turned around and summoned a young waitress to take my plate back into the kitchen clearly she does not do guests who have complaints no matter how legitimate, she rather childishly sulked whilst we were sat there. My food disappeared for about twenty minutes and when it arrived back the portion was about 25% smaller than when it was taken from me, a microwave does that. The Meal Deal is not a good idea because it's provided by Table Table, apparently without any consultation whatsoever Prem Inn had allocated our meal time 5.30pm? and as a result we were seated early in a nice quiet spot on our final evening meal, then about 15 people emerged in the area we were seated in, the temporary silence had been broken as 15 people started to argue and protest that their had been a major cock -up, because their was not enough chairs? so more chairs were brought in, which basically for us ment that, if their was a fire we would probably be burnt to death as their was no means of escape the double patio doors closeby was locked? but the fun had only just begun another two diners had drifted in apparently they too had arranged to join the party so it all ended up like a Cornish cattle market. The final morning was just another disaster yet another disappointment, when we arrived in the restaurant at about 8.15am it was like the Marie Celeste, I could hear voices but not a soul about, their was nothing laid out, no cereal, no milk, no fruit, no bread, no buns, nothing, the guy who was serving food the previous evening emerged from the kitchen bringing breakfast items out onto the large breakfast table, waited for bread for toast, no jam/preserves and no butter, it was total chaos especially as more and more guests piled in for breakfast, clearly they had opened late that Monday morning, and once again my last breakfast was just like the previous two it was served on stone cold plates as a result the food on the plate that had probably been hot at some stage was left hanging around in the kitchen it was barely warm, the amusing line all staff came out with prior to every single meal as they were placing the plate in front of you was, "be careful the plate is very hot?" have Premier Inn resorted to auto suggestion too? the reason why I am posting this on Trip Advisor is I actually completed a Premier Inn questionaire, and put most of the stuff mentioned here in that form, the only thing Premier Inn have responded to is the fact that they admitted they had failed to provide Free Wi-Fi which if you recall is the reason why I took up the Meal Deal offer in the first place, they gave us a derisory refund, that was in the middle of February long enough you would think to respond in full however but all the issues raised here have been completely ignored so far which is unacceptable for a company who spout on about customers opinions are important to us, it's now April heard nothing, so clearly not.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank James J
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn St. Austell Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by our Customer Services Team and the Management Team at this hotel. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.
Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

I've become a real fan of Premier Inn, every time I've stayed at one of their hotels I've been met with the same excellent customer service, the convenience of quite good on-site dining and great value for money. The St Austell hotel is no exception; we stayed to visit the Eden Project, for which the hotel is ideally located. We always book a family room (we have a pair of 3 year olds) and have always found the rooms to be comfortably spacious. The breakfast deal whereby the kids eat for free is another great selling point. The staff are very welcoming of young children, something you don't find everywhere. Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2012