A party of us stayed at the White Hart 2 years ago and it was fine. It's nice to have a choice of real ale as well as wine - the hotel is owned by St Austell brewery so the beers are kept in good condition. We went back this year as we enjoyed it on our last holiday. St Austell town isn't very attractive but it's good for a base as the rail links are great for getting around Cornwall. We ate in the bar one night and the food was fine.The atmosphere is smokey - no extractors - which spoiled it, but luckily it wasn't too crowded. Unfortunately that came later, with the karaoke. We went out for a drink up the road and when we came back our way was barred by 2 bouncers stopping a crowd of people going in, as the bar was full. They tried to stop us going in but when we said we lived there they stood aside and we squeezed in. The bar was blue with smoke and the noise from the drunken karaoke was tremendous. I don't think it was appropriate for the hotel to advertise as a quiet break when they are staging this sort of entertainment. The stairs open on to the bar so the noise and smoke drifted upstairs to the bedrooms. We booked the hotel because of the bar facilities. Two of our party were in their 70's and wanted somewhere on the premises for a tranquil drink if they didn't fancy going out after a busy day. Not possible on Fridays. If you stay here then beware and bring earplugs. I think there's a quiz night on Thursdays too so be prepared. On the other days the bar was fine, the staff pleasant and efficient at all times. They did say they warn you when you book about the noise levels on Fridays but they must have forgotten with us. I wouldn't say we would never stay there again but it gives you pause for thought. I think the hotel needs to decide what it wants to be and market itself accordingly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you at the White Hart Hotel and Whites Restaurant.A grade 2 listed hotel in the centre of town within minutes of railway and bus links. Eden project and the coast only few minutes away.17 ensuite bed roomsBar and Lounge areawhites reatuarant serving local and fresh produce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Book Direct Rooms, Priceline, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The White Hart reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Hart Hotel St Austell
- White Hart St Austell
- The White Hart St Austell, Cornwall