Recently stayed in Cornwall for 5 nights and one day visited the Lost Gardens of Heligan. Having finished my tour I found their restaurant packed so decided to go into St Austell for some shopping and a late lunch. St Austell itself was very disappointing and by the time I had walked around and in and out of one pub it seemed my only choice of eating places was fast food restaurants. Then I happened upon the White Hart, looked inside to find a very dated bar area but with several people having tea and by now I was getting really hungry.
I asked the very friendly, cheerful young lady behind the bar if I could have some food, bearing in mind that it was by now about 3.30pm. No problem she said and settled me down at a table with a menu, drink and some daily papers. As I had had nothing to eat since breakfast time I asked if I could have a steak (expecting the usual "oooh no we stopped serving hot food at 2pm and start again at 6pm" response) but the order was taken happily.
Must admit that while waiting for the steak I was rather dreading what I may get, but when it arrived it was superb, beautifully cooked sirloin steak tender and juicy, lovely fresh chips, grilled mushrooms, peas and the best onion rings I have ever had. I was offered a pudding but couldn't eat another morsel so sadly had to decline.
I really get sick and tired of not being able to get a decent hot meal out of "accepted" hours but full marks to the White Hart for their cheerful bar staff, willingness to give a customer what they wanted and to producing such a good meal. As a single lady they also made me feel very welcome and at ease.
Don't be put off by the rather shabby appearance when first entering, it is a gem of a place for a meal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you at the White Hart Hotel and Whites Restaurant.A grade 2 listed hotel in the centre of town within minutes of railway and bus links. Eden project and the coast only few minutes away.17 ensuite bed roomsBar and Lounge areawhites reatuarant serving local and fresh produce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Book Direct Rooms, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your The White Hart reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Hart Hotel St Austell
- White Hart St Austell
- The White Hart St Austell, Cornwall