“Excellent stay at this hotel”

Porth Avallen Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights at Porth Avallen Hotel, St. Austell,would have liked to stayed longer. The room was clean and bright with a beautiful view out over Carlyon Bay. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, the food in the restaurant was excellent including breakfast which was cooked to order. Location central and gives easy access to the whole of Cornwall. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade for a view of the bay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Porth Avallen Hotel

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed at the Porth Avallen Hotel in St Austell while on a road trip visiting Dorset, Devon & Cornwall. Very pretty, cosy, clean and quaint hotel. Had a lovely room with a very pretty view of the ocean. Very helpful and friendly staff at front desk. Gave us lots of good tips on where to go and what to do. Breakfast was included and much enjoyed. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian B
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We booked at the last minute for 2 rooms with my young Grandchildren. The best thing about this hotel is its location. I have personally stayed in many 3 star hotels and would rate this as the worst. My room No 11 is very noisy all night with sounds of multiple washings machines in action. The room was very very tired. I don't think it was cleaned every day. I have never stayed anywhere before for 6 nights and NOT had my bed linen changed.

The plumbing and general maintenance was woefully inadequate. The room used by my grandchildren No 10 had leaking taps, known to the manager as the puddle was being mopped up with towels when we arrived. No one could use the shower as it was just a trickle. 4 people slept in this room. No refund was offered over this.

The management were never around until the afternoon. We reported the leaking / flooding on the Saturday morning and no attempt to fix it was carried out until Wednesday. The receptionist constantly said to me and I overheard the same to other guests when reporting concerns, that it was nothing to do with her. I also heard the assistant manager complaining about guests who were complaining to him.

I had 2 wardrobes in my room with only 4 coat hangers. When I asked for more, I was told they didn't have any, but would 'nick' them from another room. I don't know who the housekeeper was who should be checking the condition of the room before the guests arrive. But, whoever it is they're not doing a good job. I really feel that the price for the rooms is 'overcharged' by the owner.

We like the area a lot and have already booked to return for a week in October staying at a 4 star hotel for the same price. Maybe the owner should invest some of his income into some serious overdue maintenance. I was screwing handles back in place myself as they came off in my hand.

My room had a cold tap permanently running when I arrived with the taps spinning and lifting from the basin.

This was fixed once I complained.

Jan Smith

Room Tip: Make sure you read what others have written before your book.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jan s
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Restaurant overpriced. Request a room overlooking the bay for an outstanding view. The room I stayed in was a little dated, but serviceable. Staff friendly and helpful, even though understaffed and busy!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed for the night on a stopover with work. Public areas generally good and staff hospitable but bedroom was more like a bedsit. Poor quality bedding and towels, rubbish shower and cleanliness poor. I'm sure they have better rooms but don't take anything on the 3rd floor

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We picked the hotel for its location, which is superb - and the view from our bedroom was stunning - but our stay was marred by a series of lapses. To begin with, we had been promised a deal on a superior room with a bay window, but this had been changed without explanation when we arrived. The rooms, though comfortable, showed signs of neglect: a broken hairdrier hanging in the bathroom, two sinks but neither with a plug that worked properly, only 3 hangers in a wardrobe - and requiring two separate requests before more were delivered. The owner assured us in a chance encounter that they took "great pride" in their food (there are pictures of Gordon Ramsay on the wall), but alas this didn't extend to breakfast. The buffet could have been from the 1970s - no fresh fruit, just cereal, yoghourt and bowls of tinned prunes and grapefruit - and the menu was quirky - offering Full English or breakfast muffins (with herby pork sausages, bacon and fried hen's eggs - presumably to clarify for those expecting quail or goose), although we didn't see anyone actually attempting a muffin. The herby sausages, when they arrived, were bland and all but tasteless, and the scrambled hen's eggs overcooked and virtually solid. Service on the second morning was simply dreadful - we had to wait half an hour for the cooked food, and we had to eat surrounded by dirty bowls and plates. There were other minor issues (no decaff tea, for example, although this establishment was not alone in that), and overall the place had the feel of being tired and complacent and resting on its laurels. We had stayed at a similar style hotel in Sidmouth two weeks previously, where staff had been attentive, and the variety and quality of the breakfasts in a different league; the Porth Avallen could be so much better if it tried.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank LetsgoUnitedKingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed two nights in the superior room at this comfortable, classic style hotel, the room was large bright and clean and had a bay window which has one of the best views I have ever seen from a hotel room. The hotel is approximaely 12 minutes walk to Charlestown along a pleasant country path. The service at breakfast, especially on our first morning , was very slow, the tables were left uncleared and the buffet area for the cereal and coffee was not replemished on a regular basis, there was a breakfast rush and only two waitresses taking orders and clearning up, it was very disorganised.

We paid £135 per night for the superior room plus breakfast, I feel this was too much for this type of hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple