“Right on top of the bay.”

Porth Avallen Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is hidden away - to the point you think you've taken the wrong turning. But when it appears in front of you so does the amazing beautiful view of the bay. This hotel is wonderful, full of old year charm and the evening meal was mouth watering. The staff were more than helpful and friendly. The only let down we found was breakfast, not English enough for my liking. A little continental. But still worth a visit....

Room Tip: Have one at the front - we booked abit late and got one to the side - view not that great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Attended a family soiree in St Austell, family booked this place for two nights B&B. We usually stay in alternative accommodation, but wanted to be with the rest of the party. Arrived 9pm ish, after a hideous six and half hour drive, tired and hungry. Sat down with our family for a drink, and when we decided on a light bite, were told the chef had 'gone home', so that was about 9.45pm. I'm no Delia, but even I could knock up a sandwich or two for guests paying £155 per night for their room?? At 10.50pm, having clocked up a good £45 per room, in the bar, sitting in the garden area, said Manager comes outside and says " you HAVE to come in now, i'm locking up"??? Really??? So, I was sent to bed with no supper, and had eaten a packet of crisps! Memorable evening.

The room we had was at the front, big bay window, with wonderful views, but that's IT. The bed had dust all over the 'material' (rumoured to be four poster bed)... stains on said 'material' (photo evidence taken) Bath was yellow, and generally the room needed serious work, it was very dated and dirty in places. I know it's a 3 star, before you shoot me down, and the STAFF are what make this hotel, the owner told us he wishes he'd been in London, as he couldn't wait to leave?? Says it all really, doesn't it? Veggie breakfast was fine, hotel overall is tired, and could do with being taken over by someone who wants to maximise it to it's full potential. It seemed to our party that it was run with total apathy. Such a shame, as it's location is wonderful. If you are going to charge 5* prices, then deliver 5* service and bring the rooms up to scratch, it's really not worth the money. At £70 a night, i'd happily have stayed there and expected what I received. It's just overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank pawsandhooves
Reviewed June 7, 2013

A cosy welcoming hotel in a beautiful spot. The hotel has room to relax and enjoy the views and beautiful gardens. The staff, including the owner, found nothing too much trouble. My three sons and my wife want to go back in the near future. The coastal path is yards away with eateries a 10 minute walk away. The food in the hotel is great, especially the breakfasts. Also there is ample spacious parking on site so your car is safe. The only downside is that the owner supports the same dodgy football club as my middle son, otherwise it was fabulous!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a whim and it was such a beautiful surprise - on a cliff top, uninterrupted view across the bay to the tiny port where "Pirates of the Caribbean' was filmed, close to Polperro - got go there!!, and a short drive to an obscure but sensational seafood restaurant the proprietor recommended ... the hotel itself is straight out of Inspector Poirrot - very 1930's, perhaps the rooms could be updated but they were large and the bathrooms generous - the bar was a winner with us after a day exploring - a huge bay window and a terrace to watch the sun go down. It was very quiet so we had lots of long chats about the history and geography of Cornwall and the local knowledge was simply wonderful as we tripped here and there all over this lovely part of England (My husband's question: "who gives way when you encounter another car on one of those ridiculously narrow and winding roads?? ' Answer: 'if it's lady, you give way.' I had to forgive this blatant sexism as there was no way I was going to test the waters on those Cornish roads - I'm used to a centre line - haven't they heard of them in England??Breakfast was generous, staff were incredibly friendly and helpful with maps and details about the whole region and the aspect of this hotel is simply divine - don't miss the clifftop walk early morning - loved it!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jillelizq q
Reviewed May 21, 2013

As we arrived after a 6 hour drive, the Hotel was easily found and well sign posted. At reception we were greeted by I suspect the proprieter, a character who was both informative and amusing.
The rooms were very adequate and my only observation was that there were no ground floor rooms for those of limited mobility.
The stawere all very friendly and could not do enough for us, the food was first class and I could not fault it, both breakfast (freshly cooked) and the brasserie meal.
Should I be in the area again, I will not hesitate in booking this Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mark G
Reviewed March 28, 2013

On a recent wedding i stayed at this lovely friendly hotel with my family, With the beautiful view of the boats on the sea and cornish coves in the day and the sound of the waves gently crashing in the evenings when dark and the twinkles of boat lights. The staff were lovely and JESPER the wedding co ordinator was lovely, friendly and eager to please, recommending local produce and much more.... couldn't have done more for our friends and family. There was a lovely atmosphere with the many rooms to entertain and relax in. The food was a little more expensive however with specials of all varieties and a large menu i was happy to stay at the cosy hotel with `character` instead of wasting money on a taxi to eat else where on the 2nd evening we stayed. The hotel was easy to find and much more appealing than the grey castle of `carlyon bay hotel`. Over all i will be staying again and hopefully booking in for our wedding here... Many thanks to all at Porth Avallen Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mrs A
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Me and my partner had a day out in st Austell and desided to stay the night in this hotel, we did'nt book we just walked in and luckly thay had a room. we stayed in the bar the whole evening, the bar was very moden and warm. We had our evening meal in the hotel, we both had steak, it was amazing, probbly the best steak I have had. The room was a good size and clean with heat. I would go back there with out a doubt. the hotel had a nice view over a bay and the sea. the owner was very polite and couldnt do enough for us. we loved this place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple