“A delightful experience”

The Lost Gardens of Heligan
Ranked #2 of 50 things to do in St Austell
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Interesting and charming gardens. Plenty to see and keep you occupied. Well laid out. Friendly staff. Good catering facilities.

1  Thank BILL C

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Everyone I know has always raved about the Lost Gardens of Heligan, so I was expecting great things, however it was pretty average.

They suggest spending a whole day here wandering and enjoying the different areas, however we had done the site in around two and half and found ourselves in the gift shop making our way out to the farm shop!

The gardens are fascinating to see how run down they were and how they are now being brought back to life so well, that was pretty much it though.

The plants are not well labelled in some areas so if you do see a bush or flower which takes your eye you can't see what it is called or find out more about why they are planted in that location.

I left feeling I had missed something, or wasn't in on the secret as to why everyone else I know has spoken so highly of Heligan, I have been to many other more impressive gardens in the UK, Abbotsbury Sub-Tropical Gardens in Dorset for one, and they left me with more of a desire to return and explore again and certainly had more magic and wow for me than Heligan.

That said, I am pleased to say I've seen it but I won't need to come again.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Last year my Wife to be and I went to The Eden Project and throughly enjoyed it but found it a bit steep in price, Heligan is ran by the same people and was significantly cheaper so we were expecting a quick hour round but how wrong we were.

The Gardens are well presented and the time was well spent to preserve this little gem, there is plenty of walking to be done as this is more than a garden it is the grounds of a house and went further than we could manage in the three hours we were there.

We visited the tea shop afterwards and were presently surpised by the prices as again with The Eden Project this was vastly overpriced.

We are already talking of visiting again and would throughly recommend others to do so at just under £10 each its a nice day out and its good to enjoy the peace and tranquility.

4  Thank DaleB79
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Excellent, in many ways better than the Eden Project. Very helpful staff, would recommend visiting in the spring to get the best out of the flowers

2  Thank horsleygc
Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you've ever seen the real jungle or expect a real "Lost Garden" this here is the wrong place to be. Thought there would be more things like the sculptors... 10£ is far too expensive for that.

1  Thank Tanja F