“Buffet vs standard menu”

Nepalese Gurkha Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 154 Restaurants in St Austell
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We've visited the Gurkha twice recently with a group of friends and have been very well looked after at all times. The first time we chose our dishes from the standard menu and I have to say all were well cooked, nicely presented and very tasty. On our second visit on a Sunday evening we had the buffet. Whilst the choice was great and you could help yourself to a bit of everything most of the curries on offer were on the mild side for me and my husband - a spicier option or two would have been welcome and my only criticism is that the food was not piping hot. Children are most definitely welcome and well caterer for, with some non curry options on the buffet. This visit also coincided with birthdays within a few days for 2 of our party and a cake, sparklers and candles were brought out at the end of our meal and an easter egg hunt for the children also ensued!! Drinks service was attentive too. A thoroughly enjoyable visit each time.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I came to stay in a very small town just a few miles away from this restaurant in mid December and one night went to search for a curry! Coming from over 200 miles away I was a total stranger and basically got lost trying to find a place to eat, but found this place! I have eaten hundreds of curries over the last 30 years and many nice ones, but I sat down to eat here and actually thought " Wow, this one is way above the rest" I enjoyed it thoroughly, friendly young woman who served me who was I think the barman's daughter as she kept on calling him " Dad" of course, but this made it homely as well! Iv'e had lamb curries since and they are very good, no complaints, but it don't touch the meal I had here! I will be back down here soon and first stop it will be!!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We persevered past the unpromising entrance into a well presented restaurant. The meal was delicious and service was great too - polite, pleasant, but not intrusive. Good choice for vegetarians. And certainly less expensive than eating at the hotel where we're staying!

Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Bit disappointed really having read good reviews it couldn't have been further from the truth. Rude waiters, long wait. won't be back

Gurkha123, Manager at Nepalese Gurkha Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for your feedback which we take very seriously.

We are terribly sorry your experience was not what you expected having read other mostly great reviews our customers share on TripAdvisor.

We had an inexperienced trainee here for a short while which we had couple of complaints about and had to let go as we find rudeness utterly unacceptable.

We would love to welcome you again and make sure your experience exceeds your expectation.

Kindest regards,

Nepalese Gurkha

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Sunday evening and after a cold wet day at Eden project this was a great place to eat. Easy parking in nearby multi-storey. Friendly staff. Excellent food, very reasonable price